Sign in to follow this  
crazyotto

Mark Hall redshirt pulled!!!

PSU is all in. Hall beat Morelli (again) in wrestle off. Hall looked pretty good in loss vs #13 Meyer in dual with Iowa. Lost the lead late in 3rd. 

I wonder if Iowa HWT Stoll being out for the year (ACL) had anything to do with this decision?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, crazyotto said:

PSU is all in. Hall beat Morelli (again) in wrestle off. Hall looked pretty good in loss vs #13 Meyer in dual with Iowa. Lost the lead late in 3rd. 

I wonder if Iowa HWT Stoll being out for the year (ACL) had anything to do with this decision?

I saw that! I'll be honest, I'm pretty shocked they decided to pull his shirt. 174 is pretty stacked and with Stoll out for the season, Iowa lost all chances of winning a title. I'm assuming they made the decision based off OK St., but I don't think they have enough firepower to be a legitimate threat. However, Sanderson has forgotten more about wrestling than I'll ever know, so I'll let him make the decisions.  

Gilman and Suriano were closer than expected. Suriano seemed to gain confidence as the match went on. Gave up an early takedown, then gave Gilman all he could handle, including some deep shots in the third period. Gilman isn't a sure fire lock anymore. 

Clark tore in to a 1-7 backup and got the tech. Cortez being out for the season probably forced Sanderson to pull the trigger on Hall. 

Wow... No excuse whatsoever for a senior to allow himself to be taken down FOUR  times in the 3rd period at CHA. With a record of 7-6, Guilbon needed that win in a big way. This one hurt. 

Sorenson has clearly closed the gap on Retherford. I expected a more competive match than their '16 NCAA finals match up, but I never expected a double overtime thriller. Sorenson was in it until the end. 

Nolf is an absolute beast. I knew this before, but he shut down an excellent Kemerer. Normally, Kemerer's takedown defense is too much, but Nolf clearly had him figured out. Apparently they were on the same club team up in PA, so this may have contributed to Nolf's dominance. 

165 went as expected. Joseph is a tough customer. The top 3 at 65 are too far ahead, but Jospeh is definitely a threat for a top 5 AA finish. Definitely keep the shirt on Maranelli. Seasons lost with Stoll, so let Maranelli fill in to the weight class more. 

When I saw Hall run out to the mat, I was floored! Risky call for Sanderson, but Hall will be a high AA contender come March. Meyer has to be one of the most agrivating wrestlers for me to watch. The talent is definitely there, but his inconsistency can be frustrating. Either way, he got a great win tonight. Hopefully Meyer can keep the momentum going and get himself another AA finish, which was looking doubtful before this match.

Wow, again... I was banking on a back and forth street fight. Instead we got Brooks getting sloppy and stuck in spladle in 40 seconds. I can honestly say I NEVER saw that coming. I've got to take Dean in March, but Nickal won't roll over. I think Nickal's recklessness will ultimately cost him... Again (see '16 finals against Martin OH St.). 

Im a BIG Wilcke fan. Kid is a grinder and epitomizes the Hawkeye toughness. Had a chance to win in the 3rd period, but got sloppy. Dropped a close one in double over time.  Kid has great upside and will be a force down at 84 next year. Nobody will touch Nickal, but Wilcke has the upside to be top 5. 

Hate it for Stoll. 2 years in a row. I hope we see him back next year, but these types of injuries (ACL) are tough to recover from, especially for the big boys. Holloway is undersized, but he can't give up the tech in CHA. 

165 and 285 are gaping holes for the Hawks. All I can hope for now are individual titles (Gilman, Clark, and maybe Sorenson). 

Altogether, this was by far my favorite dual, despite the outcome. We learned that 25 and 49 are not a forgone conclusion at the NCAA tournament. These are the types of duals that wrestling needs. Don't sit out studs for seeding purposes, dodging studs for strategical purposes, etc. 

• Upvote 2

Winning one of the biggest open tournaments of the season it's no surprise and with an expected Olympic attempt where a red shirt will or may be used as well why not.

And besides he already has the all time  redshirt record locked up.

• Upvote 1

On 1/21/2017 at 1:50 AM, Old wrestler said:

I saw that! I'll be honest, I'm pretty shocked they decided to pull his shirt. 174 is pretty stacked and with Stoll out for the season, Iowa lost all chances of winning a title. I'm assuming they made the decision based off OK St., but I don't think they have enough firepower to be a legitimate threat. However, Sanderson has forgotten more about wrestling than I'll ever know, so I'll let him make the decisions.  

Gilman and Suriano were closer than expected. Suriano seemed to gain confidence as the match went on. Gave up an early takedown, then gave Gilman all he could handle, including some deep shots in the third period. Gilman isn't a sure fire lock anymore. 

Clark tore in to a 1-7 backup and got the tech. Cortez being out for the season probably forced Sanderson to pull the trigger on Hall. 

Wow... No excuse whatsoever for a senior to allow himself to be taken down FOUR  times in the 3rd period at CHA. With a record of 7-6, Guilbon needed that win in a big way. This one hurt. 

Sorenson has clearly closed the gap on Retherford. I expected a more competive match than their '16 NCAA finals match up, but I never expected a double overtime thriller. Sorenson was in it until the end. 

Nolf is an absolute beast. I knew this before, but he shut down an excellent Kemerer. Normally, Kemerer's takedown defense is too much, but Nolf clearly had him figured out. Apparently they were on the same club team up in PA, so this may have contributed to Nolf's dominance. 

165 went as expected. Joseph is a tough customer. The top 3 at 65 are too far ahead, but Jospeh is definitely a threat for a top 5 AA finish. Definitely keep the shirt on Maranelli. Seasons lost with Stoll, so let Maranelli fill in to the weight class more. 

When I saw Hall run out to the mat, I was floored! Risky call for Sanderson, but Hall will be a high AA contender come March. Meyer has to be one of the most agrivating wrestlers for me to watch. The talent is definitely there, but his inconsistency can be frustrating. Either way, he got a great win tonight. Hopefully Meyer can keep the momentum going and get himself another AA finish, which was looking doubtful before this match.

Wow, again... I was banking on a back and forth street fight. Instead we got Brooks getting sloppy and stuck in spladle in 40 seconds. I can honestly say I NEVER saw that coming. I've got to take Dean in March, but Nickal won't roll over. I think Nickal's recklessness will ultimately cost him... Again (see '16 finals against Martin OH St.). 

Im a BIG Wilcke fan. Kid is a grinder and epitomizes the Hawkeye toughness. Had a chance to win in the 3rd period, but got sloppy. Dropped a close one in double over time.  Kid has great upside and will be a force down at 84 next year. Nobody will touch Nickal, but Wilcke has the upside to be top 5. 

Hate it for Stoll. 2 years in a row. I hope we see him back next year, but these types of injuries (ACL) are tough to recover from, especially for the big boys. Holloway is undersized, but he can't give up the tech in CHA. 

165 and 285 are gaping holes for the Hawks. All I can hope for now are individual titles (Gilman, Clark, and maybe Sorenson). 

Altogether, this was by far my favorite dual, despite the outcome. We learned that 25 and 49 are not a forgone conclusion at the NCAA tournament. These are the types of duals that wrestling needs. Don't sit out studs for seeding purposes, dodging studs for strategical purposes, etc. 

Nice breakdown. I have a feeling we may see Sorensen beat Zain Train next time out. He seems to have found a way out from bottom and I would not be surprised if Sorensen got a reversal. 

Hall will be fine, indeed. Earlier in the season both he and Cael were on record as being happy with the RS year. Not sure what changed.

Looking forward to the Oh St PSU dual 

• Upvote 1

On January 22, 2017 at 8:24 AM, Kronos said:

Winning one of the biggest open tournaments of the season it's no surprise and with an expected Olympic attempt where a red shirt will or may be used as well why not.

And besides he already has the all time  redshirt record locked up.

You're right about OSU PSU being an excellent dual, but we've got a great one this Friday on B10 Network at CHA. There will be a number of excellent match ups, including 133, 149, and 184.

I'll take Tomasello right now. He's looked excellent and his explosiveness will give Clark a lot of trouble. I think a healthy Clark would still struggle with Tomasello.

I firmly believe Sorenson turned a corner last Friday against Retherford. If Sorenson gets on his offense early on, I think Sorenson will walk away with the W. If not, this could be problematic for seeding purposes I.e. meeting Retherford in the semis at NCAAs, due to his loss against Heil (OK St). 

Martin is an excellent athlete, but I see Brooks taking this match. Brooks made a costly mistake against a very dangerous Nickal. I think a senior Brooks leaves no doubts in CHA on Friday. 

Ahhh can't beat wrestling season! 

Obviously, this true frosh is no fluke. Many were anticipating the re-match with Crutchmer at Nat Duals. Round two was a much more cautious affair, same result though. Hall with the win on a 3rd period TD, 3-2. Holy cow!

Anyone hear the comments by the guys matside saying Hall was the first 6 time Minnesota state champ? I found that kind of funny knowing what we all know here in KY about Mr. Hall.

57 minutes ago, 119Rider said:

Anyone hear the comments by the guys matside saying Hall was the first 6 time Minnesota state champ? I found that kind of funny knowing what we all know here in KY about Mr. Hall.

Who exactly was that 7th grader that just about upended senior Myron Bradbury in the state finals? Can't be Mr. Hall since he won state as a 7th grader at Apple Valley :huh:

17 hours ago, Old wrestler said:

Cael would've looked like a genius had Hall won against Jordan and sealed the B10 championship. All practice until the NCAAs anyway, I suppose. 

Not having Suriano in the lineup really hurt PSU. He more than likely would have scored a ton of points, enough to eclipse tOSU. Them's the breaks!

34 minutes ago, crazyotto said:

.......seeded 5th. Opposite from Bo Jordan, possible semi vs Zahid, youch!

Hall's most likely route to a championship involves Kent (Penn), Epperly (V Tech), Valencia (Az. State), and Jordan (Ohio St.).  

3 returning AA's and arguably the best 174 lber in the country in the semis. I've learned not to bet against Hall, but the seeding did him ZERO favors. 

I know it was high school, but it was only a year ago, but didn't Hall work Valencia over pretty good in the Who's No 1, or was that his brother?

4 hours ago, Zeus said:

I know it was high school, but it was only a year ago, but didn't Hall work Valencia over pretty good in the Who's No 1, or was that his brother?

He beat Anthony Valencia 10-1.

• Upvote 1

Beautiful job knocking off 1 seed Z Valencia to make the finals. True frosh, probably the smallest guy in the weight class. Made the adjustment on the fly and finds himself in the finals. 

• Upvote 2

Hall did a good job twisting out of Valencias bear hug he looked like he was done but planted his arm.and.valencia slid off very nice .

BO WAS IN.TROUBLE TWICE TODAY AND WON SHOULD BE A NEAT FINALS .mizzou mizzou MIZ.  ZOU 3 finalists 5 AA