Sign in to follow this  

What would you give to have these state finals?

Indiana pulls out the stops every year for finals, I wish ours was on different weekend missing going to them. you can watch them all from faceoff to final match at ihsaatv.org

Though on a much smaller scale, the Civic Center had this type of environment during the finals.  Much of the set-up during those years was modeled after the IHSAA format.

IN KY you would get Booed for running  of the mat and jumping on the wall  before shaking your opponents hands ,of course in KY coaches can get away with not shaking a kids hands so it's hard to say .

I WOULD NOT WANT THAT KIND OF FINALS AT ALL.

LOL THIS THREAD MAKES NO SENSE THAT'S A BIG ARENA LIKE ALL TECH NOT SOME RINKY DINK HIGH SCHOOL GYM ,That's Chad Red not your ordinary state champ .If you want a finals like that you have to be in an Arena like that with lights and numbers there watching and have a wrestler on that level with that much hype and that may be impossible lol,Has nothing  to do with KY wrestling whatsoever or the state wrestling championships situation .

• Upvote 1

I agree with Wrist Control, 8798, and Wky. It has been  a complete letdown when it switched to the Barn.  The Dungeon had this similar feeling, lighting,  introductions, one mat and cheering NOT muffled by dirt. 

385 were you referring to the way the finals were held or to this match?

2 hours ago, PinAndWin said:

Red is good but Nick Lee is equally good.  Had him on the ropes but couldn't hold on.

Nick is a class act too . I'd be surprised if he acted any different had he won .  I've also seen him get the best of Red in a practice room . Nothing to loose there but still did it.

2 hours ago, mommaswatching said:

I agree with Wrist Control, 8798, and Wky. It has been  a complete letdown when it switched to the Barn.  The Dungeon had this similar feeling, lighting,  introductions, one mat and cheering NOT muffled by dirt. 

385 were you referring to the way the finals were held or to this match?

Well both really. The whole video was impressive. The way the finals were held in the video was awesome (single mat, center stage, spotlight, crowd, intensity)

But it's true that kind of intensity doesn't come from a match other than a top national level match. I'm just saying imagine if we in Ky had another 220 last year that was also top 10 nationally and undefeated and had a real chance to beat Austin Myers. That would be amazing for all parties included. Before I get flamed; I only use Austin's name because he was the best in the nation last year and from our state, like Chad Red in the video. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, tiltfor3 said:

Did they not wrestle at the Mater Dei Holiday Classic? I think Keegan Duncan lost to Red in the finals.

No. Lee was injured all year and did not wrestle before the state series started except for 3 matches at the state duels tournament 

12 hours ago, NatureBoy said:

IN KY you would get Booed for running  of the mat and jumping on the wall  before shaking your opponents hands ,of course in KY coaches can get away with not shaking a kids hands so it's hard to say .

I WOULD NOT WANT THAT KIND OF FINALS AT ALL.

LOL THIS THREAD MAKES NO SENSE THAT'S A BIG ARENA LIKE ALL TECH NOT SOME RINKY DINK HIGH SCHOOL GYM ,That's Chad Red not your ordinary state champ .If you want a finals like that you have to be in an Arena like that with lights and numbers there watching and have a wrestler on that level with that much hype and that may be impossible lol,Has nothing  to do with KY wrestling whatsoever or the state wrestling championships situation .

I agree with you on what Chad did, should of shaked Nicks hand first, but like you said hes not your ordinary state champ, 3rd person to finish Undefeated in Indiana, Lee was a huge match on a National scale, not state. #1 .vs  #7 in the nation. The school support at the finals is nuts, I think Mater Dei bring the whole west side of Evansville to Indy.

But honestly what do you not like about the finals of that Caliber?

You are correct its held in a big arena that has all the lighting you want that costs big money. Sponsors are big help in Indiana wrestling. That is what we need, KHSAA to ask company's to help. Why cant we secure Rupp or Yum center? It don't cost more than Conseco Fieldhouse.

Its not just Indiana that has a big finals setup, Washington state has there finals in the Tacoma Dome.

I think a finals like this brings the fans (as you can see), gives the youth wrestlers to something to strive for. Build it and they will come!

Wrestling is second to Soccer in youth participation and we need to capitalize on that. There is no wrestling in South Central Kentucky, how huge of a boost for the sport if  you got Bowling Green, Warren Central, Warren East, Greenwood, South Warren on board? Those are huge School systems in one County not to mention pick up Glasgow area schools.

Our biggest goal should be to spread the interest in this great sport so it grows in Ky, then you should have no problem getting the finals these kids deserve.

MY  POINT WAS ,People are talking about having the state tournament in a smaller High School venue like back when , My point for the last few years is exactly what this post is trying to say KY should have a big venue like at All Tech that is the type of arena showed in This video at least size wise ,As for lighting and championship matches that can all be arranged whereever it is held as long as it's big and modern .NOT SOME HIGH SCHOOL GYM nicknamed the dungeon .Like I said in another post if I'm a college recruiter I want to see a match with a lot of fans and hype like Reds match in a facility like that one ,NOT a High School gym!

NOT MANY KIDS GET THE HYPE RED GETS A BIT MORE TO IT THAN EVEN BEING RANKED HE HIS COACHES AND USUALLY EVERYTHING TO DO WITH HIM GET UBER HYPE GOOD AND BAD ,RED IS A GOOD KID BUT THOSE AROUND HIM USUALLY DRAW AS MUCH HYPE GOOD AND BAD ,THE THINGS HIS COACH?DOES IN INDIANA WOULD BE TOLERATED BY FEW IN ANY STATE LOL JUDGE GOOD FROM THE VIDEO AND I DO NOT KNOW LEE AT ALL ,AND WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING IT WAS PRO BABY LIKE HAVING AN ANGEL VASQUEZ AND AN AJ BINDNER MATCH ONLY WITH 2 TOP TEN NATIONAL GUYS .

As for shaking hands and being state 3rd or 1st undefeated you should still be held to the same standards and not bea  self promoting disrespectful showboat "I like Red and so does my son by the way so I'm not totally knocking  him his thing is his thing and works for them and people enjoy it's good for the sport"

Brock was this states first 5 X Champ Austin the state and Countrys first 4 X and or undefeated 220 .Neither would have or did act that way both shook their opponents hands and celebrated but not to the point of degrading their opponent or breaking rules on their big win day .IF there were the same numbers as in that video in all tech with the same mat and light set up like there could be at All tech you would have a similar match with 2 high level high profile wrestlers ,I have never seem the dungeon but I assume it's a high school room maybe similar to am iron man feel that's nothing like how a state championship venue should be .

• Upvote 1

Lights out ,single mat  , it doesn't have to be the #1 kid in the.   country to make the atmosphere .         Frankfort Convention Center .  

• Upvote 1

I agree no high school gym. Altech is fine, they need to request to put up center mat lights and spots lights, could be utilized in the equine events. Altech is rough, we just need to polish the diamond in the rough.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said you just didn't know about the Civic Center. It is not a high school gym. And we are certainly not at a place where we can replicate the finals of Indiana with over ten thousand spectators watching. And the match in this thread was certainly hyped. I think that what most people are saying is that this kind of setup is what was used back when the finals were in Frankfort, as I mentioned earlier, on a much smaller scale. People were talking about the pageantry of the finals in Frankfort, not necessarily wanting to go back to that venue. It can be replicated in a larger arena, but as many have said in other threads, we took a step backwards this year with the setup.

• Upvote 2

So everyone pretty much agrees whether it's at all tech or not it has to be a big modern nice facility and the set /Lighting and championship finals needs to be done up right ,

NO HIGH SCHOOL SCHOOL GYM.

39 minutes ago, 8798 said:

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said you just didn't know about the Civic Center. It is not a high school gym. And we are certainly not at a place where we can replicate the finals of Indiana with over ten thousand spectators watching. And the match in this thread was certainly hyped. I think that what most people are saying is that this kind of setup is what was used back when the finals were in Frankfort, as I mentioned earlier, on a much smaller scale. People were talking about the pageantry of the finals in Frankfort, not necessarily wanting to go back to that venue. It can be replicated in a larger arena, but as many have said in other threads, we took a step backwards this year with the setup.

yes nature boy doesn't know what he's talking about he's never been to the Civic Center and has no idea what the layout, the finals setup and the intensity of that arena was like. but that's not gonna stop him from telling everyone how wrong they are.

• Upvote 2