Sign in to follow this  
ukpridewrestler11

Region 1 Predictions

The brackets are now posted. Was very curious to see where people ended up in their seeds. Union has 9 #1 seeds, 3 #2 seeds, and a fourth seed. Shocked to see Micah Ervin as the top seed at 132, and apparently Kline not in the tournament. 

Ranger and I went over all the Regional brackets that were posted last night.  4 of the 8 regions were up.  We were scratching our heads looking at the seeding criteria.  We noticed that some regions went off win% and overlooked the head to head.  It looked like some coaches entered the head to head and some didn't bother.  

I have to say i was a little baffled that coaches would not do everything in their power to make sure their wrestlers were seeded correctly.  I did think it was funny to see coaches put in the kids ranking under criteria.  Maybe that trumps head to head.

11 hours ago, ukpridewrestler11 said:

The brackets are now posted. Was very curious to see where people ended up in their seeds. Union has 9 #1 seeds, 3 #2 seeds, and a fourth seed. Shocked to see Micah Ervin as the top seed at 132, and apparently Kline not in the tournament. 

Kline out ,Micah beat Regaldo at Father Ryan 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dutch said:

Ranger and I went over all the Regional brackets that were posted last night.  4 of the 8 regions were up.  We were scratching our heads looking at the seeding criteria.  We noticed that some regions went off win% and overlooked the head to head.  It looked like some coaches entered the head to head and some didn't bother.  

I have to say i was a little baffled that coaches would not do everything in their power to make sure their wrestlers were seeded correctly.  I did think it was funny to see coaches put in the kids ranking under criteria.  Maybe that trumps head to head.

I would think that every region would use the same seeding criteria.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, pin2win said:

I would think that every region would use the same seeding criteria.

No, the region coaches vote on seeding criteria. I. Region 7 it goes

1. Head to head

2. Common opponents

3. Win percentage 

We also seed all the way down. Some only seed wrestlers deemed to be seedable. 

Seeds shmeeds. The best wrestlers will get it done!! I love an underdog!!! LOL!! Hope everyone has a good tournament and most of all no one gets hurt God willing!!

• Upvote 1

So I went along with the seeds a lot more than I usually do this year. There aren't as many weights that are completely contested like there has been in years past. Injuries devastating a couple power teams (looking at you Fort Campbell) are part of the problem. That isn't to say region 1 isn't full of talent, in fact I predict this 7th grade class to collectively win at least 8 state titles by their senior year. Anyway you know how the system goes I give you the top 6 and a dark horse from outside the bunch that can slip in.

1. Gavin Escelera, Union
2. Kaleb Sapp, Ohio
3. Daniel Knight, Christian
4. Ethan Wells, UHA
5. Keaton Elliot, Calloway
6. Keegan Slone, Trigg
Dark Horse- Max Dubois, Hoptown

Escelera has been a name people have been talking about for awhile. This kid is for real, a true 5 state titles threat. Sapp and Knight have been neck to neck all year, where some very talented Ohio County seniors have had disappointing tournaments in the past (Ryan Bunch and Billy Moore are examples) I expect Sapp to finish strong. The finals match should be a changing of the guard type deal as Sapp, a leftover from the insane 106 battles of the past couple years, competes against Escelera who leads an incredible 7th grade class. I saw Wells at middle school state and he looked really good, even with questionable calls ending his middle school season.

1. Austin Grant-Hall, Christian
2. Dale Robertson, Hoptown
3. Ray Hamilton, Paducah
4. Trevor Poague, Union
5. Jack Probus, Ohio
6. Isaac Aguier, Trigg
Dark Horse- Rider Suda-Dodson, Ft. Campbell

Like Escelera at 106 I expect Grant-Hall to turn heads both literally and figuratively at the tournament. Robertson and Hamilton are both tough wrestlers who will win a couple matches at state with outside shots at a podium finish. There isn't much to talk talk about outside of 6th place, but you never know.

1. Saul Ervin, Union
2. Cameron Dearmond, Hoptown
3. Nick Dickerson, Calloway
4. Seth Slayton, Caldwell
5. Ishmael Griffie, Christian
6. Shane Grey, Ohio
Dark Horse- Jordan Snyder, Trigg

Saul is working towards another state title and shouldn't really be touched. Dickerson and Dearmond in the semi's is going to be a battle with both hoping to somehow slip into the podium at one of the toughest weights in the state. Slayton, Griffie, and company can all slip into 4th.

1. Bryce Sheffer, Union
2. Scott Ruttman, Calloway
3. Camerin Cole, Christian
4. Devontae Turner, Trigg
5. Caleb O’campo Caldwell
6. Hunter Vlach, McCracken
Dark Horse- Cody Krystynak, Ohio

Sheffer has looked vulnerable as of late leaving Ruttman and Cole an opportunity to pull off a huge upset. Ruttman and Cole are neck to neck and I was on the verge of flipping a coin when trying to decide between the two. In the end I picked Ruttman because I think Cole's first round match is slightly tougher. Turner is about a head above the remaining 126's but should still bring his A game.

1. Louie Regaldo, Ft. Campbell
2. Micah Ervin, Union
3. Jacob Bellah, Calloway
4. Zlatko Skuljan, Hoptown
5. Zach McCoy, Ohio
6. Dylan Martin, McCracken
Dark Horse- Nick Galbrath, Christian

Going into a repeat of the region finals at 113 last year. I'm going to pick Regaldo to come on top again, even though he enters this tournament as the underdog. This final should be one of the toughest finals in the region and it may come down to who is more mentally prepared between the two. Bellah leads the best of the rest, but 3rd place and down is going to be an intense battle.

1. Chance Oxford, Union
2. Chance Collins, UHA
3. Alex Curl, Ft. Campbell
4. Colin Stevens, Trigg
5. Kestin McClain, McCracken
6. Antonio Abren, Ohio
Dark Horse- Chase Arnold, Ohio

Oxford and Collins are two top 5 level wrestlers and there should be fireworks following the grinding 132 fight. I'll pick Oxford but don't blink if Collins comes out on top. Stevens has been on fire lately but I have Curl with the upset. McClain is tough but I don't think he breaks into the top 4.

1. Jackson Oxford, Union
2. Braden Sperry, Caldwell
3. Jack Haynes, Calloway
4. Ethan Tomerlin, Ft. Campbell
5. Kobe Perry, Christian
6. Justin Crabtree, Trigg
Dark Horse- Jeffrey Mathis, McCracken

This weight is ridiculously tough, as 145 has been the past couple years. Really all I can say is no result will surprise me at this weight. 

1. Diion Leavell, Christian
2. Isaiah Lawson, Hoptown
3. Rylan Ervin, Union
4. Jacob Kramer, Calloway
5. Josh McCoy, Ohio
6. Bailey Conley, Ft. Campbell
Dark Horse- Kolbee Key, McCracken

I predict Leavell to redeem himself for his disappointing finish last year and wrestle like he did when he tore apart the bracket two years ago. 3rd place down is a pretty wide open battle but I gave the edge to Rylan.

1. Dylan Grey, Caldwell
2. Ivan Lawson, Hoptown
3. Malik Cunningham, Trigg
4. Kenyon Drayton, Christian
5. Justin Girten, Union
6. Trevor Tilley, McCracken
Dark Horse- Dylan Bell, Calloway

Grey is probably the most talented guy here but a Lawson is no one to sleep on. The weight is a little sparse after those top two but we will see how it finishes.

1. Avery Buckman, Union
2. Niko Bussell, Christian
3. Caleb Riley, Caldwell
4. Mario Perez, Calloway
5. Kolby Morris, Hoptown
6. Johnathon Bowling, McCracken
Dark Horse- Aaron Allen, Ohio

Buckman is pretty solidly in front here but the battle for second place should be interesting. 

1. Cole Sherman, Union
2. Katayvon Anthony, Hoptown
3. Alex Billiter, Christian
4. David Woods, Calloway
5. Jackson Fitzgerald, Paducah
6. Daniel Moll, Caldwell
Dark Horse- Johnathon Knight, Todd

Like 170 Sherman is pretty solidly in front, but second place down is going to be an intense battle for only three spots. At the end of the day someone talented is staying home, possibly even two.

1. Phillip Bradley, UHA
2. Jake Miller, Hoptown
3. Seth Estes, McCracken
4. Ross Hicks, Union
5. Josh Efinger, Calloway
6. Raven Knight, Christian
Dark Horse- Mark Diaz, Trigg

Bradley should win here and I feel Estes is the second best guy but they got stuck on the same side of the bracket. But really that just means this weight is pretty hazy towards how it will turn out.

1. Chance Orr, Paducah
2. Conner Sherman, Union
3. Colby Culver, Calloway
4. Tige Littlefield, Caldwell
5. Deion Lane, Hoptown
6. Levi Gross, McCracken
Dark Horse- Alex Smith, Christian

Orr is really good, but Sherman has been competing at a high level for a long time. This will be probably the closest fight at the upper weights we will see. Culver and Littlefield lead the rest of the pack and I'd be somewhat surprised with one of them doesn't make it. 

1. Mahlon Ray, Christian
2. Bryce Chandler, Union
3. Logan Thomas, Hoptown
4. David Clark, Calloway
5. Gavynn Davis, McCracken
6. Josh Whithworth, Caldwell
Dark Horse- Xavier Chappell, Paducah

With Nikolao out there is no way to predict how this weight finishes, this is my best guess

• Upvote 1

Its Zeke the kid is legit will be interesting to see if he can pull off winning the region weighing less than 108 pounds but he definitely has the talent.. Should be a battle between those top three

5 hours ago, FalconWrestling said:

So I went along with the seeds a lot more than I usually do this year. There aren't as many weights that are completely contested like there has been in years past. Injuries devastating a couple power teams (looking at you Fort Campbell) are part of the problem. That isn't to say region 1 isn't full of talent, in fact I predict this 7th grade class to collectively win at least 8 state titles by their senior year. Anyway you know how the system goes I give you the top 6 and a dark horse from outside the bunch that can slip in.

1. Gavin Escelera, Union
2. Kaleb Sapp, Ohio
3. Daniel Knight, Christian
4. Ethan Wells, UHA
5. Keaton Elliot, Calloway
6. Keegan Slone, Trigg
Dark Horse- Max Dubois, Hoptown

Escelera has been a name people have been talking about for awhile. This kid is for real, a true 5 state titles threat. Sapp and Knight have been neck to neck all year, where some very talented Ohio County seniors have had disappointing tournaments in the past (Ryan Bunch and Billy Moore are examples) I expect Sapp to finish strong. The finals match should be a changing of the guard type deal as Sapp, a leftover from the insane 106 battles of the past couple years, competes against Escelera who leads an incredible 7th grade class. I saw Wells at middle school state and he looked really good, even with questionable calls ending his middle school season.

1. Austin Grant-Hall, Christian
2. Dale Robertson, Hoptown
3. Ray Hamilton, Paducah
4. Trevor Poague, Union
5. Jack Probus, Ohio
6. Isaac Aguier, Trigg
Dark Horse- Rider Suda-Dodson, Ft. Campbell

Like Escelera at 106 I expect Grant-Hall to turn heads both literally and figuratively at the tournament. Robertson and Hamilton are both tough wrestlers who will win a couple matches at state with outside shots at a podium finish. There isn't much to talk talk about outside of 6th place, but you never know.

1. Saul Ervin, Union
2. Cameron Dearmond, Hoptown
3. Nick Dickerson, Calloway
4. Seth Slayton, Caldwell
5. Ishmael Griffie, Christian
6. Shane Grey, Ohio
Dark Horse- Jordan Snyder, Trigg

Saul is working towards another state title and shouldn't really be touched. Dickerson and Dearmond in the semi's is going to be a battle with both hoping to somehow slip into the podium at one of the toughest weights in the state. Slayton, Griffie, and company can all slip into 4th.

1. Bryce Sheffer, Union
2. Scott Ruttman, Calloway
3. Camerin Cole, Christian
4. Devontae Turner, Trigg
5. Caleb O’campo Caldwell
6. Hunter Vlach, McCracken
Dark Horse- Cody Krystynak, Ohio

Sheffer has looked vulnerable as of late leaving Ruttman and Cole an opportunity to pull off a huge upset. Ruttman and Cole are neck to neck and I was on the verge of flipping a coin when trying to decide between the two. In the end I picked Ruttman because I think Cole's first round match is slightly tougher. Turner is about a head above the remaining 126's but should still bring his A game.

1. Louie Regaldo, Ft. Campbell
2. Micah Ervin, Union
3. Jacob Bellah, Calloway
4. Zlatko Skuljan, Hoptown
5. Zach McCoy, Ohio
6. Dylan Martin, McCracken
Dark Horse- Nick Galbrath, Christian

Going into a repeat of the region finals at 113 last year. I'm going to pick Regaldo to come on top again, even though he enters this tournament as the underdog. This final should be one of the toughest finals in the region and it may come down to who is more mentally prepared between the two. Bellah leads the best of the rest, but 3rd place and down is going to be an intense battle.

1. Chance Oxford, Union
2. Chance Collins, UHA
3. Alex Curl, Ft. Campbell
4. Colin Stevens, Trigg
5. Kestin McClain, McCracken
6. Antonio Abren, Ohio
Dark Horse- Chase Arnold, Ohio

Oxford and Collins are two top 5 level wrestlers and there should be fireworks following the grinding 132 fight. I'll pick Oxford but don't blink if Collins comes out on top. Stevens has been on fire lately but I have Curl with the upset. McClain is tough but I don't think he breaks into the top 4.

1. Jackson Oxford, Union
2. Braden Sperry, Caldwell
3. Jack Haynes, Calloway
4. Ethan Tomerlin, Ft. Campbell
5. Kobe Perry, Christian
6. Justin Crabtree, Trigg
Dark Horse- Jeffrey Mathis, McCracken

This weight is ridiculously tough, as 145 has been the past couple years. Really all I can say is no result will surprise me at this weight. 

1. Diion Leavell, Christian
2. Isaiah Lawson, Hoptown
3. Rylan Ervin, Union
4. Jacob Kramer, Calloway
5. Josh McCoy, Ohio
6. Bailey Conley, Ft. Campbell
Dark Horse- Kolbee Key, McCracken

I predict Leavell to redeem himself for his disappointing finish last year and wrestle like he did when he tore apart the bracket two years ago. 3rd place down is a pretty wide open battle but I gave the edge to Rylan.

1. Dylan Grey, Caldwell
2. Ivan Lawson, Hoptown
3. Malik Cunningham, Trigg
4. Kenyon Drayton, Christian
5. Justin Girten, Union
6. Trevor Tilley, McCracken
Dark Horse- Dylan Bell, Calloway

Grey is probably the most talented guy here but a Lawson is no one to sleep on. The weight is a little sparse after those top two but we will see how it finishes.

1. Avery Buckman, Union
2. Niko Bussell, Christian
3. Caleb Riley, Caldwell
4. Mario Perez, Calloway
5. Kolby Morris, Hoptown
6. Johnathon Bowling, McCracken
Dark Horse- Aaron Allen, Ohio

Buckman is pretty solidly in front here but the battle for second place should be interesting. 

1. Cole Sherman, Union
2. Katayvon Anthony, Hoptown
3. Alex Billiter, Christian
4. David Woods, Calloway
5. Jackson Fitzgerald, Paducah
6. Daniel Moll, Caldwell
Dark Horse- Johnathon Knight, Todd

Like 170 Sherman is pretty solidly in front, but second place down is going to be an intense battle for only three spots. At the end of the day someone talented is staying home, possibly even two.

1. Phillip Bradley, UHA
2. Jake Miller, Hoptown
3. Seth Estes, McCracken
4. Ross Hicks, Union
5. Josh Efinger, Calloway
6. Raven Knight, Christian
Dark Horse- Mark Diaz, Trigg

Bradley should win here and I feel Estes is the second best guy but they got stuck on the same side of the bracket. But really that just means this weight is pretty hazy towards how it will turn out.

1. Chance Orr, Paducah
2. Conner Sherman, Union
3. Colby Culver, Calloway
4. Tige Littlefield, Caldwell
5. Deion Lane, Hoptown
6. Levi Gross, McCracken
Dark Horse- Alex Smith, Christian

Orr is really good, but Sherman has been competing at a high level for a long time. This will be probably the closest fight at the upper weights we will see. Culver and Littlefield lead the rest of the pack and I'd be somewhat surprised with one of them doesn't make it. 

1. Mahlon Ray, Christian
2. Bryce Chandler, Union
3. Logan Thomas, Hoptown
4. David Clark, Calloway
5. Gavynn Davis, McCracken
6. Josh Whithworth, Caldwell
Dark Horse- Xavier Chappell, Paducah

With Nikolao out there is no way to predict how this weight finishes, this is my best guess

Not sure where sheffer looked  vulnerable but to each his own .  Think match with Ruttman was 17-1 . 

Good afternoon everyone! Region 1 has definitely took a shot in the arm this year with injuries. Well, Fort Campbell leading the way with two big contenders(Ryder and Nikolao) being sidelined and then Kline for Trigg. I am sure there are others but those are the front runners I was tracking.

106: Is going to be a good show with the young Escelera trying to run down the seniors. This should be an interesting feat the for the young 7th grader.

132; With Kline out of the way, I think Ervin takes the lead completely. Regaldo does not have enough fire power I feel to pull out the win over Micah. Regaldo is to sporadic when competing against tough competition. I have heard that the two times they wrestled this season it could have went either way but the poise of Ervin seems to win out this year. The one positive Regaldo does have is the physical maturity which is a strong factor as well.

138: I think this weight is going to be really interesting. This weight is a true toss up for sure for 1st. If Curl pulls it out then it will be quite the day for the Freshman. I definitely feel this weight will be the highlight for Region 1. I believe the top 3 here will possibly all place at state.

145 would have been interesting between Oxford and Ryder. Honestly, having seen both of them wrestle this year up in IN, I would say it would be a toss up. They would be a good battle for 1st at 145 for sure. I truly believe Ryder would have been the only one at 145 to pull the trigger on Oxford. With that said I think Haynes will be the one that steps on the mat in the finals with Oxford.

152: It will be interesting to see if Leavell can pull it off against Lawson. I believe that is a tall order for Leavell to fill, but things happen in wrestling when skilled wrestler collide.

160: I believe Gray has a solid lock but not sure about the rest of the field. 

170 Buckman runs the table as well.

182 I feel could be a good battle for 1st but I think Sherman might pull it out.

195 could be anyone from my understanding.

220 Sherman has the lock and the other three spots are up for grabs.

285 with Nikolao gone I think Chandler sweeps this group with Mahlon securing the runner up.

I hope this weekend will be filled full of excitement for everyone. I pray that no further injuries follow the wrestlers of Region 1! Wish I could make it down but other duties call, "like my honey-do-list". God Bless!

13 of Unions 14 wrestlers did just as good or better than projected. 220, Sherman got third instead of projected 2nd. Zeke tech-falled Sapp at 106, so apparently it wasn't as close as we all expected. Definitely didn't see that one coming. They just won their 13th straight regional title, wonder how long that streak will last.

• Upvote 1