Sign in to follow this  

Is it possible...

To find a way for a home schooled 8th grader to be able to wrestle for a public school that is completely within his district and that he will be attending next year? Anybody have any experience with this issue? All I've ever heard is no, just seeing if anyone has any advice.

I'm sorry, I meant for him to wrestle for a high school that he will be attending next year as a 9th grader.

Specifically Jefferson County

Well the school that I am talking about (Doss) doesn't really have any feeder schools I don't think. Just trying to help a kid be on a level playing field with other kids his age who are going to be wrestling at the high school level. Doesn't seem fair that a child should be punished for being homeschooled. It's not like we're trying to send the kid St. John Bosco or something.

I know of a kid who had some problems with the middle school. The father set it up for his son to be the only wrestler of a newly formed club. He was then cleared to be able to practice and wrestle with both the high school and middle school.

I know of a kid who had some problems with the middle school. The father set it up for his son to be the only wrestler of a newly formed club. He was then cleared to be able to practice and wrestle with both the high school and middle school.

So if you wrestle for a club you can wrestle for a high school regardless? Or was that kid also in a public middle school?

The kid must wrestle for a school that is a feeder for the high school he is wrestling for.  Otherwise KHSAA insurance will not cover that wrestler and it is a liability.  That is why private schools have no middle schoolers on their varsity teams, unless the middle school is actually part of the high school. (meaning in the same building)

Really if I understand what you are saying correctly if the kid is an 8th grader now and you just want him ready for next year when he will be attending Doss. Then just get him a usa card so he is covered by insurance and take him to some of the open mats in your area most only require you to have a USA Card to be insured and then go to clinics and other camps from colleges and or teams. You can find camps all over on here and they are open to anyone then next year just wrestle for Doss.

Really if I understand what you are saying correctly if the kid is an 8th grader now and you just want him ready for next year when he will be attending Doss. Then just get him a usa card so he is covered by insurance and take him to some of the open mats in your area most only require you to have a USA Card to be insured and then go to clinics and other camps from colleges and or teams. You can find camps all over on here and they are open to anyone then next year just wrestle for Doss.

No, he has been wrestling club and middle school for about 5 years now. Next year he will be in the 8th grade. I was wondering if there is a way for him to wrestle for Doss High School next year. I know most of the time the answer is no, but heck Tim Tebow was homeschooled and they let him play football lol. Just doesnt seem fair to me.

The kid must wrestle for a school that is a feeder for the high school he is wrestling for.  Otherwise KHSAA insurance will not cover that wrestler and it is a liability.  That is why private schools have no middle schoolers on their varsity teams, unless the middle school is actually part of the high school. (meaning in the same building)

It just seems like if he has a USA Wrestling card, he is covered under insurance anyways. The same way that lets say for example (and I dont know this kid or his family personally other than seeing them at tournaments) Zane Brown was able to wrestle for a middle school CLUB (Shamrocks) and for a high school (Male) in the same year. I would assume Zane probably goes to Johnson Middle School which is a feeder for Male.

I just feel like there could be a path to get this done the right way, within the students right. I'll keep you guys updated with how it goes lol.

The major difference between this situation and Zane Brown is Zane is enrolled in the Jefferson County Public School System. He therefore is allowed to wrestle high school for the team for which his middle schooler is a direct feeder. If he wrestles middle school for a club or for his school team is irrelevant. It does not affect where he wrestles for high school. High school sports and middle school wrestling are at this time run by seperate organizations. Your wrestler can wrestle middle school if he is part of a club. But my guess is there is no way he will be eligible to wrestle high school as an 8th grader unless he is enrolled in the public school system. As stated before, this is one of the main reasons that Trinity and St. X do not have middle school wrestlers competing at the high school level. They do not have direct feeder schools.

I know many many moons ago of a parent looked into a same situation.  The only thing open to him was to apply for membership into the KHSAA under his home school.  If accepted then he could wrestle in the KHSAA season. 

This parent did not pursue it because of the cost. 

Thank you guys for the input. Hope we can find a way to pull it off. Does not seem likely. Oh well that won't stop us from trying.

He has to be enrolled into school With I believe it is at least 5 credits I believe. 385 go to khsaa bylaws and there is a portion on home schooled students.

Thank you.

http://www.hslda.org/docs/nche/Issues/E/Equal_Access.pdf

I believe that the West Virginia case has been overturned.

Wow thank you for taking the time to post that. Although I have spoke to Associate Commissioner of the KHSAA Mike Barren who is the primary contact for the sport of wrestling in Ky. He was very kind and emailed me back almost immediately and unfortunately confirmed that in order for any middle school student to wrestle on a high school team he must be enrolled in a feeder middle school for said high school.

You pay taxes? I heard that was the basis of WV decision being overturned.

What do you mean? I doubt they would care enough to overturn their thoughts for one kid.

So the kid must wrestle for the middle school feeder school to the High school he wrestles for OR can he simply go to that school and if so if that school has a home school program set up could he or she be home schooled and still wrestle club for anyone and compete with the High School that their school or Home school set up is associated with .

ON ANOTHER NOTE THERE ARE PLENTY OF KIDS IN SCHOOLS WITHOUT WRESTLING PROGRAMS.WHY SHOULD MIDDLE SCHOOL KIDS BE ALLOWED TO WRESTLING FOR High School teams if they are not in a school associated with a High school that has a team .

ON ANOTHER NOTE THERE ARE PLENTY OF KIDS IN SCHOOLS WITHOUT WRESTLING PROGRAMS.WHY SHOULD MIDDLE SCHOOL KIDS BE ALLOWED TO WRESTLING FOR High School teams if they are not in a school associated with a High school that has a team .

The same rule applies.  If a kid does not go to the school that is associated with the high school he cannot wrestle for that high school.  

However:  Many school districts have more middle schools than high schools, and many have open enrollment.  If you are going to a middle school in the district you can wrestle for the high school in that district.

You cannot go to a Bracket county middle school and wrestle for a Boone County high school, or go to a private middle school and wrestle for the local public high school. 

Sign in to follow this