Sign in to follow this  
tja

Trea Blackwell

Trea placed third in the big 12 championship winning 6-3 pretty impressive for a true freshmen might not receive a bid to the tournament but still not a bad finish to the year.

• Upvote 1

Placing third is nice but in all fairness there are only four teams in the Big 12. With that being said he has nothing but bright things ahead in his future.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

He hasn't done bad for a true freshman, but finishing 3rd out of 4 shouldn't be considered an accomplishment

The fact he has wrestled several top guys very tough is. I think he will be a low AA in a year or two

Also wanted to add, winning the big 12 isn't really an accomplishment this year either

They're merging with the WWC next year

• Upvote 1

Pretty sure it is an accomplishment, he can't control how many teams are there and who he wrestles but he did beat a tough senior in morales who's ranked and deserves a congrats

• Upvote 1

Wrestling up a weight. - stepping up to help his team, forgoing a redshirt freshman year, Wrestling D1 ------ Yes it is an accomplishment.   No Drama,  No Excuses, Good kid, good Parents, he  needs our support.    Just my opinion but I am right. :D

• Upvote 1

Trae lost in the first round to Dean Heil. A nationally  ranked wrestler. He then beat Mike Morales.  A nationally ranked wrestler! Trae is one of only 4 (I think) Kentucky wrestlers starting in D1 this season, and 1 of only 2 true freshman starting D1 this season. And Trae is all by him self when it comes to those that place at his conference tournament, beating a nationally ranked wrestler. Regardless of conference size!! Its an accomplishment!! Congrats to Trae!

• Upvote 3

Trae lost in the first round to Dean Heil. A nationally ranked wrestler. He then beat Mike Morales. A nationally ranked wrestler! Trae is one of only 4 (I think) Kentucky wrestlers starting in D1 this season, and 1 of only 2 true freshman starting D1 this season. And Trae is all by him self when it comes to those that place at his conference tournament, beating a nationally ranked wrestler. Regardless of conference size!! Its an accomplishment!! Congrats to Trae!

EXACTLY!
  • Upvote 1

Trae lost in the first round to Dean Heil. A nationally  ranked wrestler. He then beat Mike Morales.  A nationally ranked wrestler! Trae is one of only 4 (I think) Kentucky wrestlers starting in D1 this season, and 1 of only 2 true freshman starting D1 this season. And Trae is all by him self when it comes to those that place at his conference tournament, beating a nationally ranked wrestler. Regardless of conference size!! Its an accomplishment!! Congrats to Trae!

100% Agree!!! Congrats to Trae! 

• Upvote 1

Just curious how many of you guys actually wrestled in college? Expecially D1, wrestling at that leave is extreme and very hard no matter ehat division. Everyone knocks on everyone's accoplishments, how about a big congratulations Trae and leave it at that! Cheer on ky boys and drop the smart remarks!!!

• Upvote 2

I wrestled in college

Notice I never said Trae doesn't deserve praise, but I'm looking back to his impressive body of work as a true freshman (Wins over David Dolan and Mike Morales) which I think deserves more praise than B12's. 

You can only beat who is put in front of you yes, but I am mostly just sick of what the Big 12 conference (University of Texas Conference) has done to their wrestling teams. The NCAA doesn't even let anyone qualify out of it, they have to get at large bids. 

That's ok Trae. Don't let those that never accomplished their goals talk you out of your goals. You're representing us well and we're proud of you. Keep it up!!!!

• Upvote 1

Trae will have a great career, no doubt. It doesn't matter that the Big 12 tournament is only a 4 man bracket. What matters is that Trae and several other KY preps are representing our great state at the highest level of competition in collegiate wrestling. Trae works his butt off just like everyone else and it's great that he is instantly getting good results. Being competitive as a true freshman at any sport is a difficult task, but it is the toughest with wrestling. I'm proud to have watched him and excited to see him on the podium at the NCAAs in a year or two. Congratulations Trae.

• Upvote 1

Trae is one of the hardest working kids I know. .  He was not held back and started college at 18.  And  not too many would keep wrestling with a broken ankle. Just curious  how many of our Ky boys have actually wrestled as a true freshman in D1?  Redshirts do get an advantage, both in maturation and getting that extra year academically.

http://www.trackwrestling2.com/tw/seasons/MainFrame.jsp?twSessionId=jpznouikncagtjm&newSession=true&seasonId=202837009&pageName=WrestlerMatches.jsp&wrestlerId=4814764009

He was very fun to watch. I saw him a bunch on Fox sports west or somethung like that on tv, they covered a bunch of oklahoma matchs. Good job against 18th ranked morales. The sky is the limit for trae.

• Upvote 1

If you can get the correct package fox sport shows a lot of both high school and college wrestling just some extra info people might want to look into

I think it is pretty rude to say it isn't much of an accomplishment.  Any kid who wrestles in college whether D-1 or NAIA has accomplished something.  Trae is going to the NCAA tournament. Truly an accomplishment.  How many wrestlers from Kentucky can say that.  A select few!

I think it is pretty rude to say it isn't much of an accomplishment.  Any kid who wrestles in college whether D-1 or NAIA has accomplished something.  Trae is going to the NCAA tournament. Truly an accomplishment.  How many wrestlers from Kentucky can say that.  A select few!

They haven't announced the at large bids yet to my knowledge, nobody qualifies automatically out of the Big 12. I'd be ecstatic if Trae gets one of the at large bids but his only win over a ranked opponent is over Morales 

• Upvote 1

Sign in to follow this