westKYwrestling

youth state results

Some concerns are valid points, others not as much. The tournament is called a YOUTH tournament. To me, this means that it is a tournament for our new youth to show what they have. I was pleased to find out that the brackets went from 8-man to 16-man this year. This meant a bigger challenge to our youngest members. I also want to commend those that worked hard this year to do placement for the older kids brackets. I know they have put a lot of time and effort into this event. Hence, where my whining comment comes into play. A lot of people worked hard to make this tournament stronger this year. I feel as if the first comment anyone should say is "Thank you" to all those who gave up countless hours to make the tourney run so smoothly! I have read everyone's comments. Most of them are valid, but you should first thank all involved before you hack it to pieces. I, just like the rest of you, want Kentucky wrestling to grow all children into great wrestlers, not just the ones you feel are top dogs. [/quote

IRONICALLY, the person that put the most time into the State Bracket is none other than(insert drumroll) MLEE!!!!! That's right, I know this for a fact because I work side by side with him 7 years now. He and I along with 3 of the other "whiners" on here(insert sarcastic here) are the one lbs that implemented 16 man brackets, ran the youth state, and facilitate this tournament. This Topic we are discussing comes up every year along with other topics. All the folks "whining"(sarcastic again) are the same people that put the most into the youth as of today. SBfraz, Braves, JBrown and Rescalara , Ranger,MLee and I'm forgetting a fee on here, are all coaches of programs. RaiderCoach is a coaching celebrity that has daughters so he's not aloud to coach(only dance recitals)lol EAST aka Coach Wheeler(who poked that bear and woke him up) is also a coach heavily involved with youth and MS, Dutch is a Coach and Rangers "Hitman"!

So you see there is no whining, it's a bunch of great parents that love their kids and this great Sport!!

Why these hot topics are fresh in people's heads. When and Where is the spring meeting?

Let's do a roll call. If you are not present then you are not allowed on the MB!!

LOL

Anderson County, May 17th

Well after a couple of days of this, I must admit that I've heard a lot of good arguments on both sides.  It got me thinking about the way a few organizations that run national tournaments and how they provide a tournament that all levels of wrestlers can enter and enjoy.  Rocky Mountain Nationals Events (Rocky Mountain National, Show Me Nationals) and American Crown Wrestling (Dixie Nationals, Liberty Nationals) have 2 different divisions, a Rookie division and an Open division.  The Rookie division is for wrestlers with no more than 2 years of wrestling while the Open division is the more competitive one.  Can we look into something like this with our Youth State?  The Rookie division would allow us to continue to grow and encourage kids to wrestle and allow them to share in the State tourney spotlight and the Open division is one where all youth age kids can wrestle no matter their success at middle school state.  We adopt the weight classes of USA wrestling or any other organization and eliminate the type of weight classes we had this year.  Open division has one bracket per weight class no matter how many kids.  This will allow all kids to wrestle as well as create a very competitive youth state tournament.       

Rescalera - some states do that with their state tournament as well. We discussed this very option this off season and the coaches chose 10% 16 man brackets.

Yep. I don't think we spent more than a couple of minutes debating the three options, and don't think the vote was very close. I'd be for a novice/experienced division, but it seems like the verification part would be difficult. I guess most coaches would be honest but it seems like checking 900+ wrestlers would be a difficult and tedious process.

Yep. I don't think we spent more than a couple of minutes debating the three options, and don't think the vote was very close. I'd be for a novice/experienced division, but it seems like the verification part would be difficult. I guess most coaches would be honest but it seems like checking 900+ wrestlers would be a difficult and tedious process.

Many tournaments with two divisions like this offer nicer awards to the open division than what those in the rookie division get. The open division usually costs a little more for participants than the rookie division. The majority of wrestlers want the nicer awards, so that system seems to keep people pretty honest from what I've seen.

Great read. I think it's important that we understand some Youth wrestlers participating in MS are wrestling only youth wrestlers, lower weight. When it comes to weigh in the 120 and above, Youth wrestlers (Elementary age) actually wrestle MS wrestler with MS age. There were comments on here referring to difference of opinions on participating in Youth State while already earned a MS state placement. 

If you have a wrestler in the 100lbs&below bracket, they most likely wrestle youth (Elementary age) wrestlers. If you look at 120lbs and up, the Elementary age wrestlers participating in MS will wrestle MS aged wrestlers. Huge difference. Therefore to declare someone crazy is really not fair. 

If you have an Elementary aged wrestler participating in MS, great, but let the child wrestle their own age and size, too. I guess it's always up to each individual wrestler and parent to decide. Winning or placing in MS State or Youth State, i think it's equally a great accomplishment. To downplay one to another would be a great injustice to the program and the child. 

Guys - you do understand that if you took the 70-86 weight classes at middle school, the majority are youth aged?  These are essentially weight classes filled with YOUTH wrestlers.  We would have seen many rematches at youth state that we saw at middle. We aren't talking about some Livingston Merrit type who is a 130lb youth kid placing at middle school state.  Basically, all we have done with this rule is cut off our best, most experienced, and most competitive weight classes from the youth state tournament for no reason.  I am baffled that so many act as if we are doing something good with this.  We have accomplished nothing but removed our best youth kids from the state tournament.  We aren't protecting anyone, helping growth, or whatever else you have convinced yourselves this accomplished.  If it makes you feel warm and fuzzy because you feel good about giving some other kids some medals, then fine.  But please don't act as if this has had or will have any positive affect on our state's growth.   

Completely agree w it. 

I would like to add that this year's Youth State Tournament was like any other we have attended before. The new brackets, 16 wrestlers were awesome. Competition was tough, not like other years. Great job.