westKYwrestling

youth state results

Check out this quick formula to show who brought the best team not the biggest. It's simple devide the number of points a team scored by the number of wrestlers they had. The sum is the average pts each wrestler earned for his team.

Raiders. 313÷55=5.69

Braves. 224÷28=8.00

River 202÷52=3.88

Union 180÷29=6.20

Pounders 115÷14=8.21

Dear Mr. Purchase Pounder,

Congrats on your unbelievable season. We'll add it to the KY Youth Wrestling archives.

Matt Lee

Raider Youth Wrestling

So just to be clear Purchase Pounder coach, you believe that you have the best team in the State because you brought 14 quality wrestlers. Please keep in mind that as the largest club in Kentucky we don't discriminate against any participation at Yourh State. We believe each kid( no matter how green they are) should experience this great atmosphere. Gives them something to look forward to. You'll never see us keeping our numbers down to get our PPW average up. To each their own!! We'll continue adding more kids to this great sport and help Kentucky Wrestling grow and you guys keep increasing your PPW!! Congrats on a great season and tell the 2 boys that didn't make it on your roster we'll take them.

That is a nice metric, BUT one thing I learned as a leader in this organization is that the primary goal of this event and our youth program overall is participation and growth.

So I would rather see 800 more kids there even if a lot of them are 0-2 kids. Sure I could add Spencer Moore and Isham Peace to the Walton roster and leave some of the first year kids at home and we would be right there with your metric. But that doesn't say much about our youth program. We need numbers and more numbers. In fact I would like to give every team a trophy who brings 30+ kids.

All we ask is they attended practice. Last year we had 27 kids and took 1st. We would never deny a kid a chance to wrestle in the state tournament if they were coming to practice. Not sure were you are getting your information from, but our numbers are down this year and any kid that wanted to wrestle at state had the opportunity.

Check out this quick formula to show who brought the best team not the biggest. It's simple devide the number of points a team scored by the number of wrestlers they had. The sum is the average pts each wrestler earned for his team.

Raiders. 313÷55=5.69

Braves. 224÷28=8.00

River 202÷52=3.88

Union 180÷29=6.20

Pounders 115÷14=8.21

Looks more like 17 on your roster.  That is 6.76 and I'm sure once I remove all our scratches our numbers will either be right there with yours or better. 

Maybe we could set up a dual next year and we will be able to adjust your PPW a little more for you.

Pounders, KY 17 this is on Track

That would be awesome.

What team are you with

Raider Nation.  The club that brings all of our kids not just the ones that will score points.  Its about growth not PPW!!!

Purchase Pounder coach, Chris Duke has 2 wrestlers that wrestle for Raider Wrestling. His son was runner up in the Middle school State as a 5th grader at 105 and his younger boy was a national placer. I'd say they'll help our PPW in the Dual!

I'm not trying to talk trash. Or start anything. I don't think we should use that formula for team title or anything. It was just a statement. We are a wrestling club over 4 hours away from Lexington so parents had to bring their kids. Everyone who wanted to wrestle did. We do not deny any child the chance to wrestle at the state tournament

Congrats on the KY state tournament. It looks like you all had a good one.

In Indiana we have three different team races; small, medium, and large. I think to be considered in the small, you must field at least 8 wrestlers. It isn't a perfect system but it is the one we use. We have a separate category for academies as well.

We also do a dual team state tournament which adds another aspect of coming up with a team champion.

At any rate, congrats on growing wrestling in your state. I love hearing about our sport growing period. Thanks for your dedication to the kids and wrestling.

Congrats on the KY state tournament. It looks like you all had a good one.

In Indiana we have three different team races; small, medium, and large. I think to be considered in the small, you must field at least 8 wrestlers. It isn't a perfect system but it is the one we use. We have a separate category for academies as well.

We also do a dual team state tournament which adds another aspect of coming up with a team champion.

At any rate, congrats on growing wrestling in your state. I love hearing about our sport growing period. Thanks for your dedication to the kids and wrestling.

A couple years ago we adapted to this same concept. We also have 3 divisions. We wanted to give all teams a chance to compete for a championship. We bought more trophies which awards 12 teams total. The only problem is when teams use last years cut off numbers and try to keep kids from participating. I say bring what you have, let the kids wrestle and have fun and you might be suprised. I had several 1st year wrestlers up on the podium scoring points. And How about the Colonels and Braves. Top of their divisions with what they brought. Congrats to all the teams that took home hardware!!

We fell short of hardware but we had a lot of 1st year kids and moved up in divisions. We had 14 kids wrestle at state last year and 22 this year, not counting the 3 who had to scratch. Which means we are certainly growing and still being pretty competitive. I hope through our efforts we can get Martin County (Sheldon Clark) back to where they once were... and beyond!!

I'm not trying to talk trash. Or start anything. I don't think we should use that formula for team title or anything. It was just a statement. We are a wrestling club over 4 hours away from Lexington so parents had to bring their kids. Everyone who wanted to wrestle did. We do not deny any child the chance to wrestle at the state tournament

Oh talking trash is exactly what you are doing.  You did much more than make a statement, you went out of your way to create a mathematical matrix in an attempt to prove you had the "best team".  So since you wanted to compare clubs and are obviously trying to criticize the larger teams....lets break it down. 

The Raiders only had 47 participants.  Of those 47, they had 8 champions and 10 runners-up.  We also had two youth aged kids who could not participate in the youth state because they placed in the top 4 of middle school.  Looking at the brackets they would have been in, they would have most likely won their weight class giving us a total of 10 champions and 10 runners-up.  I know this also hurt other clubs like Connor, WV, and Union County.  Did Purchase Pounders have any kids that couldn't wrestle at youth state because they placed at Middle School?  However, even forgetting about those two kids, Raiders had 10 champions and 8 runners-up compared to Purchase Pounders 2 champions and 3 runners-up.  In fact, Purchase Pounders had a total of 12 place winners where the Raiders had 18 in the finals.  So it is statiscally obvious that the best of the best from the Raiders out performed the best of the best from Purchase Pounders even with two of our studs out no matter how you look at it. 

The goal at the youth level should always be to grow the numbers as much as possible to expose as many kids and families to the sport.  If you want to declare your team the "best team" because you had a couple champions and a few placers, then go for it.  However, as a youth coach, you should evaluate yourself on your ability to accomplish growing your team as much if not more than how good your best 5 kids perform at state.  I am much more impressed by the teams like the Braves and Union County that do a great job of exposing wrestling to as many kids in their communities as possible.  It is much harder to deal with running a team of 50-60 kids than it is 10-20.  You have to have more coaches, fund raising, volunteers, larger practice facility, more mats, etc.  Instead of pounding your chest and declaring your team the "best" I would be more concerned with the fact that you brought almost 40% less kids to state this year compared to last year.    

I am curious why we are being accused of just bringing the kids who will score points

It was well known that a coach/parent from Purchase Pounders was very concerned around the divisional cutoff for the team title.  He went so far as to say he had a couple of kids that rarely come to practice that wanted to go to state and he was concerned their participation would move them from division 3 to division 2.  Not sure if these kids were allowed to wrestle or not.  But, when someone from Purchase Pounders gets on here and claims they are the "best team and not the biggest", it sure looks fishy.  I know this for a fact, the Raiders want as many kids to come to state as possible for the experience of it more so than their potential points earned for the team race.  They would never discourage a kid from coming for any reason.

We fell short of hardware but we had a lot of 1st year kids and moved up in divisions. We had 14 kids wrestle at state last year and 22 this year, not counting the 3 who had to scratch. Which means we are certainly growing and still being pretty competitive. I hope through our efforts we can get Martin County (Sheldon Clark) back to where they once were... and beyond!!

That's exactly what we hope to see. And Martin Co was very impressive in that morning session. At some point I'm pretty sure you were near the top of the leader board and a couple coaches commented on that fact. Keep working and getting kids involved and Sheldon Clark will reap the rewards.

I'm not the coach. I love the sport.my son wrestles for them.I Never had the opportunity to wrestle in Kentucky when I was in school. So I'm no expert on how this all works. I know we brought every kid that wanted to wrestle. Which happen to be 14 we won 2nd and the team that won 1st had 28. That's twice the chances to score. Thats why I did the math. I probably should have chosen another way to word it. My bad. The 2 kids you said rarely come to practice. Was not apart of any practice or any team function for the last 3 months. I didn't know they still wanted to wrestle until last Friday. The team that won 1st did an amazing job also had a high % of placers. I'm really not trying to put any team down