Sign in to follow this  
J.W.

middle school state seeding meeting

The teleconference for the middle school state seeding meeting has been changed from tonight at 7:00 pm to Monday at 8:00 pm. All times listed are eastern.

Last night went a long way in proving that seeding a state tournament is possible. It also should be noted that it so much easier to accomplish when there are head-to-head match-ups. 

Maybe we should make it mandatory to wrestle 2-3 in state tournaments to ensure we get head to head match ups

I like the thought but dont think it would work even in doing that.  NKY teams could wrestling in state all season and not go outside of NKY.  Still could not see other kids for Head to Head match ups.  Our team travels all over the state and still dont see some of the teams/kids. 

This has been brought up several times at the HS level.  32 man bracket is dumb and a blind draw is even dumber. But I was proposing a format to where: to be eligible for seeding at the state, you must compete in X # of (Seed Tournaments). T A (seed) tournament would be... Dragon, Raider Rumble, WCI, etc.  you get the idea.

But who seeds it?

The middle school Region winners coaches did a conference call each team got a chance to talk about their wrestler. We looked at head to head, common opponents, win percentage, and last years placement. In that order. I think it went really well but could have been shorter if there was a mandatory amount of in state tournaments. Region 1 has 3 big tournaments John Hardins veterans memorial, trojan at North Hardin, Battle of the Brave at Union County had on average 24 kids in a bracket, Region 2 has raider rumble, North Oldham duals, Eat Oldham had something, Region 3 Bearcat Brawl, Campbell County Duals, NKY tournament, and Region 4 has WCI. If you go to two of these events I guarantee you will at least have a common opponent. Union County was scheduled for 6 but snow cancelled Campbell County duals. Region 4 was the only one we didn't travel to but would like to.

. T A (seed) tournament would be... Dragon, Raider Rumble, WCI, etc.  you get the idea.

all that does is marketing for those tourneys, forces teams to go compete in them.

all that does is marketing for those tourneys, forces teams to go compete in them.

Yep, and that's a good thing. If you keep whooping the kid across town or one county over and show up to the post season with a ridiculous record.......well, people will know why.

If they have tournaments that teams are forced to wrestle in they will have to give each section of the state a tournament. Eastern Ky ( Johnson Co. maybe) would have to host one of these tournaments. Along with western Ky (Union) and one in Central Ky there are a host of teams that can host that one. But I don't see a reason to try and in force a set number of tournaments you havento attend.

It doesn't have to be required or enforced, just understood.  If you don't have head to head or common opponent, you don't have seeding criteria.

I really don't know what to think about seeding wrestlers at state tourney.  I can see it making for better finals matches, but I guess I like seeing the underdog having a shot to make it also.  I like leaving things to chance with the blind draw.  Thats what makes the Sweet 16 fun to watch and a team like Shelby Valley having a chance to win the state tourney.  I always hated playing Highlands in the football playoffs and I'm sure Johnson Central feels the same way, but when it comes down to it, you had your shot and being the runner up or 3rd or 5th is not what you want.  There is only one champ and thats what every kid wants to be.

I think seeding benefits the powerhouse teams and is more about trying to earn team points to win the team title.

I agree teams should travel around to see better competition and beating up on the same team every week pads your stats, but some teams can't get a invite to some of these tourneys because they do not have enough kids or if they decide to host a tourney and a big school commits to come, they end up backing out the week before.  This really sucks when officials have been hired and the host team loses money because of cancellations.

I do like Bluesdad's idea of hosting maybe 4 big events in 4 areas of the state in order for everyone to have a shot to wrestle the best competition possilbe.  It would be so big though it would have to be a 2-day event.  Something good to debate after the season.

There are good tournaments within a reasonable distance from everyone. As a first year team, we attended 4 of the events listed above. Two were about an hour away. One was 2 hours and one was 3.5. It's doable.

Johnson County attends great tournaments every year, mostly in Wv and Va but also sometimes in Oh. Just because we dont wrestle up in northern Ky doesn't mean were not wrestling tough competition. In fact the tournaments we went to in St. Albans, Summersville, and Grundy are as good as any in this state.

Johnson County attends great tournaments every year, mostly in Wv and Va but also sometimes in Oh. Just because we dont wrestle up in northern Ky doesn't mean were not wrestling tough competition. In fact the tournaments we went to in St. Albans, Summersville, and Grundy are as good as any in this state.

Maybe they are the best tournaments anyone has ever seen, still doesn't give you common opponents in KY. I love Coach Matney, but I have heard crying about that mountain region for 20 plus years. Big school, small school, Inez, Paintsville, come here, can't go there, etc! Get on a bus and travel like everyone else. If a bus isn't provided, jump in a car.
  • Upvote 1

Where are you getting "enforced"?? No head to head or common opponent no criteria. Records will still account for something, but probably third or forth criteria on the list.

It would be unfair if and only if you didn't have the info. You can wrestle anywhere you choose.

I have no doubt that you all have a tough schedule. I'm just saying that it wouldn't be difficult to attend one large in state event to assist with seeding. They aren't all in NKY. We didn't go to any up north but still had lots of head to head matches with ranked kids by attending 4 tough tourneys: John Hardin, North Hardin, Union and Woodford. Each one of those events was full of state qualifiers.

There's no way, or nothing anyone can do to force anyone to wrestle certain tournaments on certain places. NO WAY.

Coach Matney success speaks for it's self. So I dont think because some folks in northern Ky are upset some of the middle school kids didn't have common opponents is going to make him switch his way of coaching. It surely isn't going to make him change the tournaments he sends his teams to.

So if you guys want to get on a bus or a car and head souteast come on. The road travels the same both ways in these here mountains ...lol.

I have no doubt that you all have a tough schedule. I'm just saying that it wouldn't be difficult to attend one large in state event to assist with seeding. They aren't all in NKY. We didn't go to any up north but still had lots of head to head matches with ranked kids by attending 4 tough tourneys: John Hardin, North Hardin, Union and Woodford. Each one of those events was full of state qualifiers.

I'd love to hit one of those tournaments and hopefully we can in the future. My only argument is this. Coach Matney as had a great deal of success. His way of coaching and the tournaments he travels to has been proven to get his wrestlers were they need to be. So I don't think he will change it because of middle school.

No body is forcing anybody to do anything.

By saying the head to head criteria will be #1 is sort of forcing it. But I don't think it will make Johnson County change their way of doing things, IMO.