Sign in to follow this  
Bluesdad

Toughest weight class in each region?

With snow likely coming Friday and Saturday, what happens if officials at Johnson Co cancel the Region 4 tourney?  Will it be moved else where?  What is the contingency plan?

There are two kids from River City at 130 I saw at Unions Tourn, those kids were pretty good.

Wow, thanks for the compliment, "pretty good"... Hopefully our boys can live up to that humble recognition from this expert panel of wrestling experts/pundits. Again... Looking forward to the kids showing the rest of the state that our boys are slightly better than "pretty good"... We will see... and again the kids will write the script, not the opinionated sideline moms and dads... Oh, and thanks for noticing 2 of our 15+ "pretty good" kids... See ya at State!

Sorry, I had wrestlers in the 80 and 130 lb brackets. We split with one and lost to the other. They are going to be good cause they wanted it more than my guy did, I could see that from just the three matches. "Pretty good" just meant they made an impression on me with their work ethic on the mat. Those two kids told me that they probably have an incredible room full of energy of kids wanting to improve. My son wrestled Zane back when the youth state Tourn was in JC to which he has kept improving unbelievably. Yes, you guys have it going on, but I don't know any of the other kids.

Only wrestled the 2 River City kids at 130 that day.

Sorry, I had wrestlers in the 80 and 130 lb brackets. We split with one and lost to the other. They are going to be good cause they wanted it more than my guy did, I could see that from just the three matches. "Pretty good" just meant they made an impression on me with their work ethic on the mat. Those two kids told me that they probably have an incredible room full of energy of kids wanting to improve. My son wrestled Zane back when the youth state Tourn was in JC to which he has kept improving unbelievably. Yes, you guys have it going on, but I don't know any of the other kids.Only wrestled the 2 River City kids at 130 that day.

Sorry, not blaming you, I'm new to this wrestling stuff... Imma football guy but I'm falling in love with this sport! I love watching the kids compete, one on one... Monoe e monoe... No matter what, someone walks off of the mat with their hand raised... It's pure and unapologetic!

Sorry, not blaming you, I'm new to this wrestling stuff... Imma football guy but I'm falling in love with this sport! I love watching the kids compete, one on one... Monoe e monoe... No matter what, someone walks off of the mat with their hand raised... It's pure and unapologetic!

And it doesn't matter if you're white or black, what your last name is, where you live, or if your dad is the coach or not. Yes the ref can blow a call sometimes but wrestling is the least political sport I know. Anyone can be good if they do the work.

Don't forget Lane Seibert from Woodland in region 3 at 86. He lost a close one to Deck and stuck Hudgins in under a minute last time they met. The first time they wrestled, he was beating him 8-0 when Hudgins caught him in a spladle. Aside from that move, the 3 periods they've wrestled haven't been close. 70 (Mcormick/Grandstaff), 75 (Pye, Frietsch, Grandstaff, Spaulding), 80 (Ketchen Carter/Horton), 92 (Roth), 105 (Moore) , 121 (Hammonds), 168 (Mueller), and 240 (Wheeler) are all from region 3 and potential, if not probable state finalists. There will be a lot of placers from region 3.

After seeing the way region 4 went down at 86 Tucker is clearly the kid to beat. He dominated his matches and at one point even had Deck in a leg cradle. The Stafford kid is strong but I think he's going to have a tough time at state. Wouldn't be surprised to see Deck do really well and making it to the semis or finals again. Also, the Deck kid at 70 from Madison looks awful good as well, he could make some serious noise at state. Miller at 92 looked tough, and Ricky Purvis at 80 seems to be getting overlooked a bit. Denny looked dominant at 168. Gamble looked vulnerable after surviving a couple of close ones including an overtime win in the finals.

The kids at Region 4 that dominated their class.

70lb Thomas Deck

75lb Blue Fletcher

80lb Ricky Purvis

86lb Tylan Tucker

98lb Adam Bender

168 Blake Denny

Kids that wrestled well but had some tough matches.

92lb Brandon Miller

105lb Jake Franklin

113lb Ryan Harrison

121lb Tyler Storck

140lb Blake Gamble

Solid tourney with some good competition and great matches.

No doubt all these kids at 140 are great. I just dont see that Leavell, Smallwood and Biddix are on Gambles level. He's been wrestling a very tough varsity schedule and winning. He wrestle the #1 kid in WV High school at 138 to a 4-3 match (lost) and beat the #2 ranked kid in Wv. He has also wrestled top 10 ranked kids from Va and beat them. Kid is wrestling well right now and it will take an absolute monster to beat him. It can be done but they better bring their A game if they hope to pull a upset.

I think some kids brought their there A game but his exprience paid off in end. The 140 championship round  for me was the most exciting of the day. Great wrestling and a great kid.

Tucker was the most dominant wrestler at region 4. That weight class had four kids ranked in the top nine and Tucker handled every wrestler he faced with ease. He shouldve gotten M.O.W. Hes just on a different level he could probly win state at 92lbs.

Tucker was the most dominant wrestler at region 4. That weight class had four kids ranked in the top nine and Tucker handled every wrestler he faced with ease. He shouldve gotten M.O.W. Hes just on a different level he could probly win state at 92lbs.

No doubt he would win at 92. No disrespect to any of the other kids, but he seems to be on a whole different level right now. How he didn't win MOW was beyond me after dominating an absolutely stacked weight class in his region. Not sure what everyone's criteria was for that award, but winning a bracket with 4 of the top 9 kids in the state is pretty darn impressive.

I think some kids brought their there A game but his exprience paid off in end. The 140 championship round for me was the most exciting of the day. Great wrestling and a great kid.

Gamble looked vulnerable, and his showboating was pretty unnecessary. Being intense is one thing, but walking around like some superstar is another. I understand it was his home crowd, but it was kind of sad to watch a kid act like that.

I don't know about the toughest but the closest competive class up here was 86. You had 2 matchs where one wrestler was up on the other and at the last minute the other kid caught the one that was up for a 5 point move and the win. Plus had another match tied going to the last 30 seconds and a kid made a mistake and got caught. It was very exciting and heartbreaking, but that is wrestling. No excuses 2 kids going at hard for 3 periods till 1 makes a mistake. I don't know how these boys will do down state but wishing them the best

I don't know about the toughest but the closest competive class up here was 86. You had 2 matchs where one wrestler was up on the other and at the last minute the other kid caught the one that was up for a 5 point move and the win. Plus had another match tied going to the last 30 seconds and a kid made a mistake and got caught. It was very exciting and heartbreaking, but that is wrestling. No excuses 2 kids going at hard for 3 periods till 1 makes a mistake. I don't know how these boys will do down state but wishing them the best. Mine was on the short end of the stick in 2 of them matchs but he kept his composure and still made state. Maybe next time when we till him to take down he will listen. Lol

I think this discussion is getting a little out of hand. It always amazes me when I see people create a screen name on a forum and their first post is stirring up drama. If we were talking about two kids in the same weight I could almost understand that. Almost! But to sit here and talk about what kid would smash what kid in two different weight classes makes no sense.

The two kids you are talking about are both great kids and insanely good wrestlers. I hope they are both able to win a state title this year. I can tell that both Blake and Ty's dad would not care for this.

I can tell you that Blake wrestled the entire year at 92. He did drop once for philo. If you know anything about philo you probably understand. If you look at our team 92 was best for the team. Nobody was running from anyone. My son also dropped from 121 to 115 for the team. Does that mean he ran as well? It's about trying to win a team title. I personally think that a kid that walks around at 90lbs and is willing to give up weight to fit other kids in a line up is team player.

I know so much about Blake because I have been coaching him for years. The kid is a champion with a proven record.

So it's fun to pick who will win each weight class. Every year there is a lot of debates That's fine. But when it becomes personal attacks on middle school kids it becomes ridiculous. Hopefully Ty nor Blake will ever read this thread.

I wish them both the best of luck this year.

• Upvote 2

The think TY and Roth are awesome wrestlers. My son Brandon has gotten beat by both of them. Brandon's worst loss came from Roth. He has trained hard to get to thier level.  

I think this discussion is getting a little out of hand. It always amazes me when I see people create a screen name on a forum and their first post is stirring up drama. If we were talking about two kids in the same weight I could almost understand that. Almost! But to sit here and talk about what kid would smash what kid in two different weight classes makes no sense.

The two kids you are talking about are both great kids and insanely good wrestlers. I hope they are both able to win a state title this year. I can tell that both Blake and Ty's dad would not care for this.

I can tell you that Blake wrestled the entire year at 92. He did drop once for philo. If you know anything about philo you probably understand. If you look at our team 92 was best for the team. Nobody was running from anyone. My son also dropped from 121 to 115 for the team. Does that mean he ran as well? It's about trying to win a team title. I personally think that a kid that walks around at 90lbs and is willing to give up weight to fit other kids in a line up is team player.

I know so much about Blake because I have been coaching him for years. The kid is a champion with a proven record.

So it's fun to pick who will win each weight class. Every year there is a lot of debates That's fine. But when it becomes personal attacks on middle school kids it becomes ridiculous. Hopefully Ty nor Blake will ever read this thread.

I wish them both the best of luck this year.

great point Dutch sorry I didn't mean any disrespect to anyone. They are both great kids and wrestlers. I just got caught up in something I shouldn't of. If I made anyone mad I didn't mean to. I wish the best of luck to all the wrestlers. I need to know when to just set back and keep quite. Again if I said anything disrespectful I didn't mean to.

For all of those people that were getting fired up over the cutting weight stuff on another thread, re-read Dutch's last post. No words spoke anymore true than the ones he typed. In reference to cutting weight, "it's about trying to win a team title."