Sign in to follow this  
eville dad

KHSAA State Tournament 2013

This year seemed to run a lot smoother than last year-- not to mention we got out of there somewhat earlier, but still a long day.  Two observations.  (1) should they have an ambulance on site for the state tourny?  I mean, I believe it was either 3-4, or 5-6 place kid broke arm or something to arm.  Called 911 and seem to take them for ever to show up.  Sure, there are trainers on-site and others, but at some point kid has to go to hospital.  Guess its a $$ game to have or not have.

The quality of reffing has to get better. Kentucky needs to raise its qualification process and training for refs IMO. Taking an online test to become a ref ain't cutting it.

Anklepick--- I ask that if you’re going to bash officials here in the state and single out one of them in a public forum that you become part of the salutation and not part of the problem.  Go out get certified to be a wrestling official join the KWOA sit in on the region meetings, run for a state held position within the KWOA and help the state.  Talk is cheap and actions speak louder than words.  I for one have been at this for well over 25 years and have officiated in what I would call 3 of the top 10 states in high school wrestling (OH, IL, and NY).  KY in all honesty is right on track compared to NC and SC where I have also officiated and watched high school wrestling over the last 10 years.  Once you become an official and say have at least 5 years under your belt then you might understand that what it means to be an official and that we are here doing it for the love of the sport and that we as a group within the KWOA are working hard to unite the officials and GROW the sport of wrestling here in KY.  But it must start with people like YOU, ones that have a voice and know what we need to accomplish this task.  So, I challenge you, pay your money take the test become an official, donate your free time on the weekends, one or two nights a week come to the region meeting once every two weeks during the season and run for a spot on the KWOA.  Help us get better as a group we need people just like you in our ranks…..     

• Upvote 1

I believe I know who you are ohiowrestler and if your are who I think you are a hell of an official you bring a lot to this area.. I have slammed officials in the past for inconsistent calls at the state tournament not once did I dispute a call with any official. I personally though kowa brought a lot of constituency this season. I know refs get the crap end a lot but I want to thank you all for a great job this year.

Anklepick--- I ask that if you’re going to bash officials here in the state and single out one of them in a public forum that you become part of the salutation and not part of the problem. Go out get certified to be a wrestling official join the KWOA sit in on the region meetings, run for a state held position within the KWOA and help the state. Talk is cheap and actions speak louder than words. I for one have been at this for well over 25 years and have officiated in what I would call 3 of the top 10 states in high school wrestling (OH, IL, and NY). KY in all honesty is right on track compared to NC and SC where I have also officiated and watched high school wrestling over the last 10 years. Once you become an official and say have at least 5 years under your belt then you might understand that what it means to be an official and that we are here doing it for the love of the sport and that we as a group within the KWOA are working hard to unite the officials and GROW the sport of wrestling here in KY. But it must start with people like YOU, ones that have a voice and know what we need to accomplish this task. So, I challenge you, pay your money take the test become an official, donate your free time on the weekends, one or two nights a week come to the region meeting once every two weeks during the season and run for a spot on the KWOA. Help us get better as a group we need people just like you in our ranks…..

So the age of some seniors.

Reff68- I'm sure you do it for the love of it but you guys do get payed pretty dang on good for your time aswell. Saying that it's still not enough for me to take the abuse you guys take. I just wish when a official made a mistake they would own up to it. That would be easier to swollow then a ref never thinking they are in the wrong. But most do a good job overall but they are some that ave no idea what's going on.

I enjoy the heck out of reffing, but this is why I will never participate in reffing the postseason. For the people that constantly complain, I'd like to see others get out there and do this. I have more than once changed my call, and not afraid to do it as long as I reasonably believe the argument was correct.

I believe I know who you are ohiowrestler and if your are who I think you are a hell of an official you bring a lot to this area.. I have slammed officials in the past for inconsistent calls at the state tournament not once did I dispute a call with any official. I personally though kowa brought a lot of constituency this season. I know refs get the crap end a lot but I want to thank you all for a great job this year.

Half---- Thanks, I love the sport and want to see it grow not in only this state but across the country...  Same with officiating, the only thing this I have that some of the other GREAT officials is KY is I've see other state associations and other trends in officiating in a few different states...  

Reff68- I'm sure you do it for the love of it but you guys do get payed pretty dang on good for your time aswell. Saying that it's still not enough for me to take the abuse you guys take. I just wish when a official made a mistake they would own up to it. That would be easier to swollow then a ref never thinking they are in the wrong. But most do a good job overall but they are some that ave no idea what's going on.

I made or missed two calls this past weekend, the coaches took me to the table and on one occasion I had to tell the coach " I'm not going to lie to you, I didn't see it"  That comes with experience and knowing that WE are all HUMAN and not  ERROR free and to swallow your pride and know when you've made a mistake.... 

Blues dad--I know from reading this site that you're a wrestling dad, wrestling fan, and a wrestling junkie. I am too. I wrestled as a youth through college and I've been surprised by the rule book I just downloaded a few months ago. Some things I just knew for certain aren't so and other things I'd never heard of are rules.

So I have to ask, have you a copy of the NFHS rules? Do you have a ref certification? What makes you so certain you're right and the refs are wrong? Just a friendly discussion point. My son lost in the finals Sunday on what I just knew was a blown call in the third ot. After talking to some friends and fellow coaches and separating myself from the moment I had to agree with the call--as much as it hurt.

Yeah I have a copy of the rule book. No I'm not a certified referee. I'm sure I'm wrong sometimes. But I'm not getting paid to make all the right calls. I'm sure I've been wrong on some occasions and the ref was right but I'm sure it has been vice versa as well. I just feel most not all refs make a call and don't want to hear anything about it. But when I'm out hundreds of dollars on a weekend driving 400 miles to let my son wrestle I don't think it's right for a youn official to blow a call to cost Blue a match.

Blues dad--I know from reading this site that you're a wrestling dad, wrestling fan, and a wrestling junkie. I am too. I wrestled as a youth through college and I've been surprised by the rule book I just downloaded a few months ago. Some things I just knew for certain aren't so and other things I'd never heard of are rules.

So I have to ask, have you a copy of the NFHS rules? Do you have a ref certification? What makes you so certain you're right and the refs are wrong? Just a friendly discussion point. My son lost in the finals Sunday on what I just knew was a blown call in the third ot. After talking to some friends and fellow coaches and separating myself from the moment I had to agree with the call--as much as it hurt.

Good idea T.  More people should make sure they have a copy of the rulebook and are familiar with the rules BEFORE they start throwing out officiating criticism.  At every KSWA meeting I try to encourage every coach to make sure they have a current rule book (unfortunately there are changes every year) so they aren't suprised at calls on Saturdays.

I think the refs missed a call in my son's match in O.T., but like Ohiowrestler stated they all all human.  I think for as many matches they refed they all did a very good job.  I always tell my boys never leave it to the ref to make a call like that.  You have to get it done in the 6 minutes. 

• Upvote 2

I think the refs missed a call in my son's match in O.T., but like Ohiowrestler stated they all all human. I think for as many matches they refed they all did a very good job. I always tell my boys never leave it to the ref to make a call like that. You have to get it done in the 6 minutes.

I can't agree enough. I think bad calls happend sometimes. That is part of wrestling. I can assure you it happens at all levels not just youth.

My son has had plenty of matches that had some questionable calls. Some went against him and some for. I am very clear with him that it happens. I usually tell him he should have pinned him. Lol. My point is that what message are we teaching our kids. To make excuses or blame it on someone? I think if you make it clear at a young age that sometimes it happens the kids will be better off. . What do you tell them when they get a questionable call in their favor. I go to a lot of tournament and I usually see the same parents and coaches going crazy about the ref. Just because your kid lost doesn't mean the ref is at fault. I can tell you from experience that I would crush this attitude of it being the refs fault at a early age or it will always be someone's fault when they lose. Just my humble opinion.

• Upvote 1

JCB/Dutch.

That is some advice that has been going around for years.  Leave it all on the mat, don't leave anything up to a guy in the zerba....  Officials at all levels make bad calls, that is why the NFL went to video and we all know how much they make....  But some good talks going on in this subject.  I might have to spend more time on here, been on this site for over a year and this is the 3rd time I've been on here and reall the first time I've been on here this year at all.....

I've heard alot of good coaches tell their kids if a bad call is the difference in the match a kid didnt wrestle well enough, meaning the kid should have wrestled better to take the chance of a bad call out of the equation. Never back down from that philosophy and theres never an excuse.