Sign in to follow this  
Mpire

Best age to start wrestling .

Just wondering what age everyone thinks is best to introduce a kid to wrestling .

And a strange concept perhaps but , rather than just folkstyle , teach them about all three styles from the beginning . Not clobber them

But let them

Know the difference , or create a freestyle Greco monster , however you see it !

That's a weird question for you to be asking. We should all be asking you what your opinion is. You seem to have a little bit of knowledge of how to raise champions. I know have picked your brain on multiple occasions about what you had your boys do growing up. Thanks for always being willing to give some advice.

Well I have a little one and he is a bit younger than my other two were when they started , but I noticed over the last ten yrs or so kids start very young , 4,5,6, rather than 6 , 8, 9, . I think slow is best at first mine started then bam , it was on , but if they are a little younger I think it should be a bit Less serious ,

I also know my boys started fr and gr a few yrs in and they seemed to like it , it was a bit much with it running straight into football ,

I was just thinking what if a kid learned a little about all three styles at once , a lot maybe but if done properly without huge stress in the beginning it would be a neat twist to have a great champion in those other styles , not a lot of fr gr superstars in our area in KY or Ohio ,

I think 6 is good , but dabbling a bit earlier may be "will be fun " can't wait to hear all those screaming moms again , and avoid mistakes of the past .

Best advice anyone can give is always ask for advice , comfidence is great but when you think you know everything you have a problem .

Anymore better start as early as possible to keep up . Seems like for a kid to do all 3 he has to have passion for wrestling .From what I've seen freestyle starts after folkstyle not sure on Greco but my son is about ready for a break after all the folkstyle .

I do not think a 4,5,6,7,8, yr old has a passion for any sport no matter what a parent may think ,they may have an interest and an energy but not a true passion , my thoughts were what would happen if a kid was taught all three styles or at least that there were other styles and how to wrestle them all ,

Perhaps they would not see them as so different like most kids do ,

Either way Ky seems to have a great youth wrestling following going with more interest more big tournys and matches , it will peak interest even more , one day there might be a big match between Jesse Myers and some kid named Ervin , or another Cooper , or Smith , hopefully it's a Binder but one can only dream ,

Lol now everyone is laughing , just kidding

I'm a youth coach and it seems like alot of our kids start around 1st grade, but if you have 10 first grader I'd day only 2 really pay attention. On the other side even though the other 8 are messing around they still do pick up on some things and it let's them get use to the contact.

IMO there's nothing a wrestler is going to learn at ages 5-8 that a 9-10 year old can't "catch up to" in 1-2 years, if they're equally or more athletically talented than the kid with a few years of youth experience under his belt. I'm all for exposure to all the different wrestling styles, as well as to other sports, for those young age groups. They don't need to be on the mat for 12 months a year at that age though...they should be on the gridiron, diamond, soccer pitch, in the pool, etc. too.

What my son has definitely gotten out of his "youth years" (wrestling found us at age 9 and he is now 13) is an amazing amount of "match experience". He's more comfortable in close matches than kids with less experience, and he finishes those matches well more often than not.

We've never done much 'offseason wrestling work', choosing to play other sports instead, but will probably start this year. 6th - 7th grade seems like the right time for that to me.

I've heard it said that due to the demands of the sport, when a wrestler starts in earnest they have a "career" cap of about 10 years at most before true, deep burnout sets in. There are always exceptions of course, but I think there's some general credibility and common sense to that estimate.

I also echo the attention span issue...emotional and mental maturity are much more important to getting something out of those 5-8 year old youth years, vs. physical maturity.

Lot of good points. I totally agree on have the child compete in other sports. Also at that young age I always tell the kids it's not about winning. It's about trying your best and being a good sport and getting experience. The most proud iv ever been of one if my wrestlers was in a lose. The child worked his butt off in the match never quit and even though he didn't win he shook hands patted the other wrestler on the back and waked off with a smile.

Some good points some I would agree with others I would not , not that either view is wrong.

Some things I have noticed / learned from others and experience ,

I have heard of these "caps"I would say it has a lot to do with the individual , rather than a set time or fact , and some people wrestle for decades .

The winning aspect is the greatest tool for youth athletes in any sport , kids want to win period I agree about best effort duiring losses at times but kids want to win everything as a matter of fact everyone does , so in knowing this a workout or training can be set up to get maximum effort out of kids who would ordinarily be grab assing horse playing whatever counting lights or putting boogers in other kids hair

Make a room fun but competitive and the Benifit will be much more productive ,

Watching a 12 yr old girl from Brazil choke out an American jiu jitsu black belt opens your eyes , her trainer says his whole workout for the youth is set up on contests running performing moves best this best that , it quadruples learning and effectiveness ,

I agree with multiple sports , a cross training effect for both sports , hate ignorant coaches who do not see the Benifit of it , their own egos ruin their own goals . Attention span is complete because all their focus is on winning and they learn without it being a forced issue but a fun issue , see I'm not the meanie I'm made out to be .

and some kid named Ervin , or another Cooper , or Smith , hopefully it's a Binder but one can only dream. ?????? I wasn't sure if that was an insult or a compliment but if you want to throw Bindner in with that group of names go right ahead.It don't hurt our feelings.

Can't see it being an insult being mentioned with that group those being who I consider the elite in Ky wrestling , Can You ?

Take it however it makes you feel better , just a joke and a compliment though .

Just one of the articles in the attached handout.

6) AT WHAT AGE SHOULD KIDS GET INVOLVED?

Some parents feel that wrestling is too intense for young kids, and that it is better suited for postpubescent

teenage years. Denying a child the opportunity to participate in wrestling until high

school greatly reduces their chance of success. Wrestling is a sport involving very complex

technique that can take many years to master. A great high school athlete with little or no

wrestling experience has little or no chance against an 8 or 10 year veteran. Some kids can close

this gap by their last year of high school, but like most sports these days, starting younger seems

to be the norm.

There are two entry points prior to high school - kid's clubs and middle school wrestling. Both

are very accommodating for new wrestlers. Age and maturity level is not a factor by the time

kids are in middle school, but at the club level, kids can enter wrestling as young as 4 or 5 years

of age.

There is no easy way to know when a child is mature enough to be participating in a new sport.

Some might be ready at three, while others might not develop an interest for wrestling until their

early teens. The best approach is to introduce kids to the sport at a time and pace that is

consistent with their interest level, backing off when necessary, and allowing more participation

as their interest grows. In any case, it is important NOT to involve very young kids in a highly

competitive program. Parents with young wrestlers should check that their club can properly

accommodate young wrestlers with a separate, less competitive regimen involving more fun,

"tumbling" types of activities, with virtually no emphasis on any of the serious, more competitive

aspects of the sport.

ParentsGuideToYouthWrestling.pdf

If you find out that you are having twins, you should by a 6 x 4 section of mat to have in the nursery.  If only having 1 child you should get started on a 2nd immediately so they have a good training partner in house.

• Upvote 1

What age are most of the 70lb kids I know my son is in 3rd grade just turned 9. But I've noticed most are older than that by a couple years say 11. Is this accurate?

Honestly , my 4 yr old was on the mat his first week on this earth and visits the podium every time his oldest Brother is on top ,

He weighed in for his first tourny this week at the Hammer but all his opponents forfeited " the 45 lb class is tough in High School , his coach Fausz tried to explain to him that these things happen , coincidently Fausz is no longer undefeated it was a ferocious assault of lat drops shots duck unders , head and arms , arm spins , a few patented ATM slide byes but in the end Fausz succumbed to the Tarantula , a move held in such high regard by the nations elite that only three kids had access to it before JLM , Cameron Kelly , Mathew Kolodsick , and ATM , all former Team Jordan teammates turned hired guns ,

ATM says he will show it Once and one time only to the fans in Kentucky as it is so intimidating and devestating that it leaves the recipients shattered mentally as well as physically , the hope is that the refs actually know how to score The move although there has never been need it has led to a pin 100 % of the time .

On a side note Fausz will not be competing the rest of the season and has stated he has a lot of soul searching to do as far as wrestling goes , the loss to a 4 yr old was very unexpected at this stage in his career , when asked by the press how he felt after his sons first loss this season his father simply said no comment , coach B was seen trying to console the talented jr afterwards while coach Boggs was seen with young JLM and various Campbell County alumni discussing the future of the mischevious hot headed soon to be Pre schooler with the slide bye from Hell , !

When asked later about his future plans the young wrestler stated what all true camels feel , it's all good if we change the Mascot ,

Subsequently , voting on the new CC mascot begins Tuesday after the Holiday , Jlm has asked for Barney and Jake from adventure time so the colors can stay the same , or purple to be replaced with black for Black and Gold for Bumble Bee the Transformer ,

If you find out that you are having twins, you should by a 6 x 4 section of mat to have in the nursery.  If only having 1 child you should get started on a 2nd immediately so they have a good training partner in house.
If only I would have known this 12 years ago...:)

I'd say most of the 70lbs are 4th and 5th but there are some 6th graders
I think there are also some smaller 7th graders at the 70 lb. weight class (maybe 12/13 years old).

In region 3 holub is an 8th grader. The grandstaff twins are third graders. Frietch is 11 yrs old, I think Horton is the same age, and ketchen carter is a 4th grader.

Did the Grandstaff boys make it to state. I heard they never. If not I hate that those kids are pretty talented.

I know in region 4 Blue Fletcher is a third grader, Dylan Vanover from Mccreary is a 7 th grader, not 100% sure about the rest but was told the Upton kid from Woodford is a 7th grader and the Miller kid from Hayes and Purvis kid from Elkhorn are 6th graders. so I think 70 will be a crap shoot with anyone qualified being able to win.

They did not. Both lost their first round match. Samuel was beating Freitch with about 30 seconds to go and literally gave up! Got taken down an went straight to his back. I have never seen anything like it. Jacob did the same thing against Pye. They wrestled again for 5 and 6 and Jacob won 15-0. I think the twins just aren't morning people. If we could just postpone the 70 weight class til 12 they would do just fine.

District 6 had 2 8th graders with holub and Delong. That experience was combined with some amazing young talent with frietsch, ketchen-carter, and pye. That's why tiny ranger jr ll bumped up to 75.

District 6 had 2 8th graders with holub and Delong. That experience was combined with some amazing young talent with frietsch, ketchen-carter, and pye. That's why tiny ranger jr ll bumped up to 75.

It was so good Ranger had to post it twice, lol.....Actually there were 3 8th graders at 70lbs with King from Summit View