Sign in to follow this  
workhard

the dragon invitational

It happens , in other states , I wouldn't go that route .Seemed like a very tough tournament with the directors trying to accommodate every one last minute ,,maybe some

Of them

Should come to their defense and be grateful to ease the onslaught of complaints heading their way ,if it is factual , just sayin , don't come to dinner uninvited and complain cause there isn't enough taters .

Great post, but no excuses for showing up uninvited.

Congrats to the Tourney folks for pulling that off at all, what a nightmare.

Still makes for a long drawn out affair that probably was very frustrating to everyone.

The seeds were 1.Carmen 2.Chamblee 3.Pledger 4.McDaniel. Carmen and McDaniel met in the semis McDaniel won 7-3. Chamblee and Pledger met in the semis and Chamblee won 8-3 I think? Then Chamblee pinned McDaniel in the third of the finals.

And didn't get the MOW , that's pretty unheard of . Being a two beating out the 1 , 3 , and 4 , with a pin in finals ?????

French must have pinned everyone in the first .

And even then I couldn't see it .

A class with all four top 4 guys ???????

I agree about showing uninvited but that's what makes ky a great state and it's state a great wrestling state , Hospitality , kindness , ,

I would not have turned anyone away show up to wrestle be ready for anything any amount of time whatever ,

I remember ,,,,,,,,,going to a youth tourny at Conner , lights go out power outage .......... Kids end up........... Long but happy day , dodo happens , now look at the results and the memories , remember that damn dragon tourny that took all day all night and .... Yeah that was a helluva match . Sounds like a great tournament to me ,

Austin bumped to wrestle an Illinois kid with a bad attitude and beat him and steph beat a stud I'll kid in the finals , the days of two bracket wrestling were awesome , funny people complaining about to many HS matches , when youth guys get over 100 lol

This happens all to often in KY wrestling and IMHO is one of the areas that needs to improve drastically. Its not only in HS but MS too.

This is a black eye for KY wrestling and an area that needs to be have focus for improvement from the wrestling community. I dont hear about this problem in other states.

Never was a problem when I ran tourneys, You have to look up and just say no sometimes. I have ran tourneys like the WCI , JCTC, the Dragon, and the Big East. It take planning and seeing the big pic. When I left this sport 4 years ago The Dragon was like clockwork. I dont know what happened but sometime being the nice guy gets you slammed.I know running and scoring tournaments is a long process but with the computer software and planning, it shouldnt be a big challenge.

Probably should have been done on trackwrestling but even still it just seemed odd that teams showed up uninvited ? Was it lack of

communication . I've heard of 1 or 2 teams showing up but 6 ? just seems kind of odd. Most of the coaches are pretty organized maybethe director had his emails or cell phone wasn't on ? Still everything got in and obviously some great matches took place. I just can't believe that a tournament with that many prestigious wrestlers one would think they would love to show off there brackets. I still can't find any results such as brackets . Thanks for the coaches and fans here that at least put some updates.

Tourney had deep talent at every weight class....a lot of fun for fan/coaches to watch. Absolutely unacceptable to walk out of tourney of that caliber at 1 am! Team trophies were 2012 trophies, they turned down an offer to have it run by trackwrestling, they accommodated too many people and started the tourney much too late. Seed meeting needs to be done ahead of time and teams need to be entered ahead of time and wrestling starts immediately Saturday....period.

Dominick Lampe wrestled his butt off vs. Cooper and had him on the ropes most of the match....awesome match....Match of tourney

106 final went OT with late stalling all...Congrats Vega

120 was an excellent match with Adams barely hanging on

138 final between Kahl and Clay Brown was a great match...good win for Kahl

145 Justin Lampe is just too much

160 French went OT to win

195 had a lot of drama with the screaming and hobbling around by the Southern kid, but John Hardin kid just kept going....impressive.

HVY Bryant is just plain good beating a much bigger kid in easy fashion.

South Oldham may lose a few teams next year because of this debacle (actually heard some stating that on way out "no way we ever come back to this one!") too bad because talent is so good. You just can't have kids wait almost 7 hours before their first match. BS!

• Upvote 1

Screaming? What did wade do to the kid?

Tourney had deep talent at every weight class....a lot of fun for fan/coaches to watch. Absolutely unacceptable to walk out of tourney of that caliber at 1 am! Team trophies were 2012 trophies, they turned down an offer to have it run by trackwrestling, they accommodated too many people and started the tourney much too late. Seed meeting needs to be done ahead of time and teams need to be entered ahead of time and wrestling starts immediately Saturday....period.

Dominick Lampe wrestled his butt off vs. Cooper and had him on the ropes most of the match....awesome match....Match of tourney
106 final went OT with late stalling all...Congrats Vega
120 was an excellent match with Adams barely hanging on
138 final between Kahl and Clay Brown was a great match...good win for Kahl
145 Justin Lampe is just too much
160 French went OT to win
195 had a lot of drama with the screaming and hobbling around by the Southern kid, but John Hardin kid just kept going....impressive.
HVY Bryant is just plain good beating a much bigger kid in easy fashion.

South Oldham may lose a few teams next year because of this debacle (actually heard some stating that on way out "no way we ever come back to this one!") too bad because talent is so good. You just can't have kids wait almost 7 hours before their first match. BS!

Two other memorable matches:

126: Shirkey had Parrot beat. Didn't realize he got a stalling warning on way out of bounds stopping clock at 3 seconds. Whistle blows, he runs backwards and gets stalling point against him. Parrot wins in OT...very tough loss for Shirkey, but great match vs. #2

120: Duncan had Austin down 2 with 13 seconds and didn't optional start, got reversed and 2 very questionable back points against him. Good match, but tough loss for freshman...Austin went on to push Adams to the end in finals.

True 170:

He didn't do anything illegal. Kid was trying to escape and John Hardin kid hung on to ankle and said he heard something tear. Southern kid rolled around and screamed to the point I thought the ambulance was coming. He finished and Karate Kid posed his way thru the rest of the match. Hard to tell what was acting and what was legit.

Few observations from the corner

1. track wasnt used bc of the WiFi or lack of, or perhaps it could have been used to at least do the seeding.

2. Certain coaches used a loop hole to work over the meeting. Control was lost at 106 in the seed meeting. Criteria was gray instead of black and white.  Some coaches were actually wasting fresh air by saying their kid placed higher than another in a tournament, as if someone really gave a crap.

3. Its one thing to seed the tournament its another to seed to avoid competition which is exactly what several did.  If you dont want to see the competition go to a different tournament.  I thought that was very petty amongst some coaches. 

4. Lesson learned.  Trip- set the criteria, hold the ground, use Track.