Sign in to follow this  
ILOVEFOOD

New state location idea.

Although I think the Alltech Arena was a horrible venue for our State Tournament, I think the YUM! Center would be worse. Way too big for our needs. Wish it was back in Frankfort.

• Upvote 1

I think ILOVEFOOD was thinking about all the KFC concessions there.

I know there are a lot of people that work there buts off to make State a great event, I just wish the kids and sport were showcased a little more and all their hard work was being appreciated by a bigger fan base. It's going to take some time, but it would be great to be able to use one of the big arenas in KY. It's going to take more than just family and close friends showing up though to make this happen.

As interest in wrestling continues to grow, Alltech will fill up more and will "feel" like the best venue. If wrestling were to outgrow Alltech, then YumCenter might be viable. First order of business is to fill an arena.

The state tournament needs to go back to a 16 man bracket... It used to mean something to make it to state, now seems like everyone goes.

I would like to see a seeded tournament as well. EASILY done via a sectional->district->state format.

I would say Louisville gardens or broad bent arena. Broad bent has the parking. Personally I would say the gardens.... I know it's old and dated but I like it

• Upvote 1

I would say Louisville gardens or broad bent arena. Broad bent has the parking. Personally I would say the gardens.... I know it's old and dated but I like it

Bellarmine?

Yum center sounds , bad , I cannot understand what the problems are with All Tech , central location large enough and room to add things to the tourny ,

The 16 man bracket makes it Boring , quick but Boring , if it's going to last two days at least let them wrestle enough not to totally get cold ,

I love all tech think its great. Last year was my first time to high school wrestling state so I don't have much to go by. Just an idea if they changed it to louisville

Everyone says they want the sport to grow but then turn around and say to diminish it by reducing the number of participants in the state tournament. That's just crazy. Kids only wrestle because they think they may have a chance to go to state. Take that away and kids will find something else to do because this sport is to hard not to have the hope of going to the state tournament. It would kill most new teams and most small teams. Right now our sport grows every year by a team or two but if we went backwards-back to a 16 man bracket state tournament we would start dropping schools. Stop living in the past and start looking towards the future. The state tournament has a great venue right now, yes its a little different than Frankfort but it was a necessary change. Good luck to all teams and wrestlers this year!

I disagree bigman. A 32 man bracket jumbles things up too much. Very rarely will you see a 1st round match that blows your mind. It becomes quite evident very quickly who belongs there and who doesn't. I will agree with you that wrestling is a hard sport, but here is where I differ. If its such a hard sport, why do we make it so easy to qualify? This isn't the YMCA where everyone gets a participation trophy. We have programmed our kids to the everyone is a winner attitude, and that is just simply untrue. There are clear winners and losers, not only on the mat, but in life. I want to grow our sport as well, but I believe we can accomplish that without watering down the competition at our State Tournament.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I respect the fact that yours is different than mine. Howevery I have been involved in athletics for more years than I can care to say and I have seen things that are effective as well as not effective in helping a particular sport grow, whether at a school level; or a state level it's always the same................participation. The more kids that are involved with a sport at any level the more the sport grows and the more the sport grows the stiffer the competition gets. I can tell you that I have been going to the wrestling state tournament in KY now for about 15 years and I agree that the 1st round match-ups are not the greatest to watch but I know for sure they are more competitive now than they were 5 years ago and in 5 years I will guarantee that they will be more cometitive than they are now. I can remember a couple years ago that the finals went very fast with a lot of 1st period pins thats why I agree with seeding the state tournament. Most of semi-finals were super exciting and should have been the finals if the tournament were seeded. You can't grow anything without change and when you change it takes time for to get the results you want. I think eventually the 1st round of the state tournament will be very competive and I also think eventually KY goes to districts, regions and states and maybe even sectional when I', no longer around. But it takes change to provide growth and it will take a lot of work but it won't take near as long if everyone is on the same page. Insanity = doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Wrestling in KY has steadily improved year after year and that is because there has been effective change in how we run the elem, middle and high scholl wrestling programs. This is just all honest opinion that is backed up by experience.

• Upvote 2

The 16 v 32 man bracket is interesting. I do not like they way the system works in OH with 16 man brackets. Kids that win wait around forever to wrestle again. Especially when they reach the semis and finals. This is due in part to the fact that all three division state championships are held in unison, and in part because the OHSAA spreads things over multiple days to increase the gate and concessions. Mpire can speak to this. Though in KY I think a 16 man bracket will work. Tournament held over a two day period (Fairfield Invite was this way, no?), with not much waiting. I don't buy the 32 man bracket idea just to get kids involved. Kids wrestle because they love the sport, and this sport is not about handing out participation ribbons. Qualifying for state should be earned.

The 32-man bracket waters things down. Just like six classes watered things down in football, this change was not good for the sport. I wish they'd bring back the 16-man bracket as well, but it'll never happen. Too much money they'd miss out on if they reverted back.

I for one like the 32 man bracket having wrestle in it and coached only during this era but I feel like its a great way to get kids there and see what state is like and motivate them more the next year to get on the podium plus there are a few people who place 3rd and 4th at regionals and still wind up placing like Colton hall and one year Sammy isaacs made finals after finishing 4th in region

The 32-man bracket waters things down. Just like six classes watered things down in football, this change was not good for the sport. I wish they'd bring back the 16-man bracket as well, but it'll never happen. Too much money they'd miss out on if they reverted back.

Yes, 32 man is very much watered down. 16 man bracket is the way to go. The state can make more money by producing a sectional->divisional->state format. Sectionals are one day events, division and state are two day events. Lots of money in gate receipts, more fan interest in state as it would actually mean something to get there. Which, in turn would bring out more folks to watch.

Let me ask does the host team of regionals keep all door money or does that go to the khsaa or divided among schools. If it goes to the host school how would a sectionla-divisional- state format help the school make more money?

Yes, 32 man is very much watered down. 16 man bracket is the way to go. The state can make more money by producing a sectional->divisional->state format. Sectionals are one day events, division and state are two day events. Lots of money in gate receipts, more fan interest in state as it would actually mean something to get there. Which, in turn would bring out more folks to watch.

I'm actually a fan of the 32 participant bracket. I do believe that it keeps more kids involved and that's the most important thing. As for (some saying it's to easy to make state) it depends on the region and weight class your in. I:E Example. Last year region (6) 170 weight class a young man made the state tournament and this year he 100% will not even be seeded in the top 6. There will also be 2 other kids that are in that weight class (170) this year that made state in other weight classes that also won't qualify this year. To some it may seem easy but for others it's going to be a straight out battle just to get back there.

There really isn't an easy way because some of the regions are so tough while others are still catching up. Yes you could have sectionals but my question would be why ? Bottom line is the best wrestlers will wind up in the sweet 16 anyway so why not make it a bigger and better tournament ! Heiro Chamblee of SK was ranked 15th last year and finished runner up only to Jude. My point is this. The cream will always rise to the top so why not keep it as it is to keep everyone excited about such an amazing event.