Ranger123

2017 KY All Star Classic

John Hardin will once again be hosting the All Star Classic. The event will take place on Sunday, October 15 with wrestling set to begin around 3:00. This is a great day of wrestling to kick off the season and get us all fired up about the great competitors we have. Even though our state has suffered a number of injuries this off season, we have some great matches set and others waiting confirmation.

Our first matchups are:

132: #1 Ryan Moore (Walton-Verona) v. #2 Blake Evans (Pleasure Ridge Park)

182: #1 Chase Blanton (Harrison Co) v. #2 Diion Leavell (Christian Co)

Dutch and I do our best to set up the best matches. Sometimes we get #1 v #2. Sometimes we just get something that we think will be exciting. Sometimes we pull in an up and coming kid who we think will be a contender but has been under the radar. All depends on how things fall and who commits. 

This is all funded out of our pockets so there is a charge at the door to help us recoup cost for gear the participants receive. The officials volunteer their time and John Hardin does an amazing job with the facility for us. Any profit is put back into the kids. Last year we actually made about $100 so we bought tshirts for all the state finalists. 

Ranger, you and Dutch have done an amazing job the past couple of years putting this together. I'm sure this year will not be any different. Love the 2 matches posted so far, can't wait to see the rest. Got a question though, have you guys considered doing a "Main Event" match? You know, get a couple of the current or graduated college studs to square off? Kind of pattern it after Flo and some of these other tournaments. Just food for thought. 

We've also had some generous people make donations to help support the event every year. People like Coach Burroughs (No-Ox), Coach knable (invicta), CoreOptix (Dutch's company) continue to help make sure this event is successful every year. 

In the past we've also had ETC and a few others donate. 

3 minutes ago, Nike Man said:

Ranger, you and Dutch have done an amazing job the past couple of years putting this together. I'm sure this year will not be any different. Love the 2 matches posted so far, can't wait to see the rest. Got a question though, have you guys considered doing a "Main Event" match? You know, get a couple of the current or graduated college studs to square off? Kind of pattern it after Flo and some of these other tournaments. Just food for thought. 

Very good idea. We have entertained a couple ideas but never really got too far with it. It is usually such chaos just to get the HS matches set up. 

A couple ideas that we have tossed around are: 1) college match and 2) coach match and 3) father-son match (all Dutch on this one, I don't want to get my butt kicked in front of everyone)

Couldn't agree more! Lol. Once I couldn't get a takedown, I quit wrestling my son in the room.  Definitely don't want to get a butt kicking in front of a crowd! 

Next 2 matchups

126: #1 Tylan Tucker (Woodford Co) v #3 @ 132 Nate Wheeler (St Xavier)

152: #2 Derrick Smallwood (John Hardin) v #3 Noah Duke (Ryle)

Zane Brown is moving up to 160 so these rankings have been updated

Here are the bonus matches we are considering. Who wins and why?

Ranger vs. Ryan Moore

Dutch vs. Mason Smith

Coach Roth vs. Blake Roth

Coach Leavell vs. Diion Leavell

Coach Thomas vs. Cole Thomas

Coach Lee vs. Connor Lee

Coach Wheeler vs. Nate Wheeler

Coach Ervin vs. Micah Ervin

#####Bonus matches#####

Coach Joe B vs. Jake Burroughs

Coach Ruschell vs. Kyle or TJ

Coach Kaiser vs. Coach Kaiser

The list is endless but fun to talk about  

We will vote on the matches we all want to see and try to make it happen.

21 hours ago, dutch said:

Here are the bonus matches we are considering. Who wins and why?

Ranger vs. Ryan Moore

Dutch vs. Mason Smith

Coach Roth vs. Blake Roth

Coach Leavell vs. Diion Leavell

Coach Thomas vs. Cole Thomas

Coach Lee vs. Connor Lee

Coach Wheeler vs. Nate Wheeler

Coach Ervin vs. Micah Ervin

#####Bonus matches#####

Coach Joe B vs. Jake Burroughs

Coach Ruschell vs. Kyle or TJ

Coach Kaiser vs. Coach Kaiser

The list is endless but fun to talk about  

We will vote on the matches we all want to see and try to make it happen.

No way am I getting on the mat in front of a crowd of people.  Although, I don't think my kid beats me.......;-)

Guess no one has any thoughts on us old guys getting gassed out after a minute on the mat and getting pummeled by the young bucks. 

113/120: #1 @ 113 Adam Bender (Woodford Co) v #3 @ 120 Bradley Miller (Taylor Co)

138/145: #2 @ 138 Chase Yost (Woodford Co) v #1 @ 145 Trent Johnson (John Hardin)

These first 6 matches are some great matchups that I am really looking forward to seeing. Still more waiting to be announced. Stay tuned. 

How about a battle of the ex-light wt's.

JJ Townsend Vs Chris McCoy Vs Ranger

They all just missed each other.  JJ  88-89, Ranger 90-92, McCoy 94-95

Looks like Ranger may have had a chance to meet both at some time. 

How about a battle of the Head coaches that were Ky state champions. 

Those that I can come up with off the top of my head. 

Mark Hitchings (81)

Robert Erving (81,82)

Jody Burke (94)

Steve Kaiser (94) 

Kevin Case (96) 

Clint Bell (98)

Aaron Riordon (00) 

Kris Perry (04)

Mason Franck (12) 

There are probably more I'm not sure of all the head coaches, or if they are still head coaches.  

126: #3 Brandon Miller (Taylor Co) v #5 Preston Mattingly (Apollo)

220: #1 Bryan Pratt (Meade Co) v #1 @ 195 David Woods (Calloway Co)

Still have a few more matches to announce but I want to add some commentary about each match over the weekend because there are some great ones. 

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 0:56 PM, Ranger123 said:

Nah. JJ wrestled my boy Roy; they had some great battles. Totally missed Chris. 

Well if JJ wrestles he needs to wear a hair cap so there's no unfair blinding his opponent and if there is a podium, he will need a ladder...LOL

I've been considering adding a couple matches with younger guys the last couple years. Well this year we are doing that, but with a twist. We also have wanted to add some freestyle action. So we are inviting some MS studs who have used freestyle training to improve in the off season and have supported KY USA events. 

Spencer Moore (Walton-Verona) v Jonathan Gilbert (Madison Co)

Jeffrey Kinley (Madison Co) v Bryant Beane (Walton-Verona)

We need to have a running list of former KY college wrestlers who would be willing and able (some are broken down) lol to participate in a short match at the All star classic.  I think that would be something different and exciting for the kids to watch.  I know there are several CU, LWC, UofC guys out there that are still willing to scrap.  

57 minutes ago, Ranger123 said:

Yeah we joked a little about it at the coaches clinic this past weekend. There are a few that I'm sure would enjoy scrapping for a couple minutes. 

I'd be willing to help organize it, if you decide thats something you and Dutch would like to do.