Sign in to follow this  
crazyotto

Olympic Wrestling

Disappointed in the lack of coverage so far. I was hoping for more, what with the fact that the Olympics are a collection of fringe sports. However, after watching the Greco coverage I can see why it was not given more attention. Boring! I have been to better (as in action/entertaining) state qualifier meets than what I witnessed on TV. Looking forward to freestyle now. Hope it brings more action.

It doesn't have to be that way. Most exciting match I have ever witnessed at that level was Dennis Hall and Brandon Paulson at the 2004 trials in Indy.

I am disappointed in the American Greco team. I thought they would fare better than the freestyle team. Now, I don't think it is possible for them to do any worse.

http://themat.com/section.php?section_id=3&page=showarticle&ArticleID=10190

A fair amount of coverage was/is available via nbcolympics.com. I had hoped for more "mainstream" coverage to boost interest. After watching the Greco snoozefest on the computer I am glad it did not get much coverage. Even wrestling nuts found it boring. What we saw was 1:30 of hand fighting/pushing/stalling. Scoreless until the final :30 seconds of par terre. Which usually resulted in one gut wrench. The sport did itself no favors.

And you are doing it no favors with your dismal description either ,Perhaps on a high level of competition there is a lot going on that most do not understand or realise and it appears a bit more boring than it actually is .

• Upvote 1

I watched 5 or 6 matches last night that I had recorded. Teh light weights where anything but boring. If you didn't appreciate the two Iranians, you don't appreciate wrestling.

I've been around the sport longer than you have, Mpire. All in Ohio mind you. Have traveled cross country, been to the Big 10s, MAC, Southern Scuffle, etc. As well as most of the big high school tournaments. I know what I am watching. True enough, Raider, *some* of the lighter weight Greco matches had a bit of action. Though *most* consisted of neutral position stallfests and :30 seconds of offense v defense par terre. As far as doing the sport any favors.....I would expect this site would be extremely biased toward the sport and that the opinions of one older man would have no effect. I did not realize I carried such weight. Thank you for the edification. As an aside. Will the boys be able to participate at Ironman? Would love to see how they stack up. Haven't seen Stephen wrestle in a few yrs.

I don't think time is a massive indicator of how to promote a sport or make constructive comments , I am sure a lot of people have been around longer and seen more just as I am sure there are even more who have been around less , I have watched some of the best wrestlers in the nation day in and out in practice rooms and watched some of the best wrestlers som who were at the top of their games at different times ,I have spent numerous hours watching Lowe Hazewinkel Ware watched them coach and wrestle watched numerous matches "mostly on tape of some of the best wrestler ever "in a practice room the best look incredible and exciting in the real world against othe greats it slows down becomes a chess match you know that , I watched a lot of great kids MOSTLY in OHIO and some of the best never lit it up Squire usually won by a point or two Same goes for BO I have seen him win by a couple and by a lot it all depends .

As for watching good wrestlers college level I spent an awful lot of time at Jordan's watching kids like Bo Taylor Taylor Felipe Stephen Cortez and all those that came for camps it's very rarely the exciting matches people expect when these kids go at it sometimes it's incredible other times it's what many would call boring it has nothing to do with effort or talent on

the part of te wrestlers themselves I just thought you were being a bit critical and casting a bad light on something that some people may not understand ,

As far as your all in Ohio comment ... So what .. Uh I think I spent some time there as did my sons .. Your angle was obvious are you seriously coming on thi site with that Ohio holier than thou attitude lol

As for my boys and their tournaments I pushed for iron man that is up to their coach but don't worry about the boys they seem to be able to hold their own outside of ky, it's a shame the people at SWOWCA dropped CC lower on their list from first up to whatever it doesn't make sense to me but most people know why , we were looking at X but they would not accept srs and they don't get Austin without Stephen you and everyone in Ohio would have learned real quick how they would do seeing as how you forgot in a yr but don't worry with your knowledge of wrestling across the nation you will find out .

Of course I respect your opinion that's why I found it odd you making comments that would actually hurt the sport someone with love of te sport would have more constructive criticism , I will stick with people do not grasp what is going on and it may appear boring and obviously some think it was not boring at all ,

Well I'm not sure if I've been around as long as some. But I know good wrestling when I see it. But that is me not the general public.

I think that is what Crazy was trying to convey. The general public does not know what good wrestling looks like. If they watch what was going on in most of those matches they would turn the channel. That does not make good ratings and means that wrestling will get less coverage.

Look at the gymnastics. My wife and others never watch gymnastics until the olympics come on. Then they watch it and become experts in their own mind and watch it relentlessly. The same could be said for diving and track and field.

I personally like watching the women's beach volleyball, they way they set up their shots and set up their defense is genius. Oh who am I trying to kid, I just like seeing them playing in their swim suits. :D

• Upvote 1

That is what I said to begin with people may not realize what is involved , and it should be

Critiqued in a different way ,of course if your from Ohio mind you your right regardless , I get tired of all the we are the great OH bs I know your trying to be a peacemaker but Ottos comments were exactly as he wrote em mind you lmfao if you can't see what he's about your blind .

Mpire, not sure why the personal attacks. Whatever. Sorry I brought up Ohio. Not trying to be a snob. True, finals matches at many levels sometimes are not the most exciting. There is so much on the line and one slip up against an elite wrestler can end your day quickly. International Greco rules do not promote action. The rules have gone so far as to take away the "passivity" call (similar to stalling) in lieu of the push out rule. These elite guys are not going to get tossed by their opponent, and a push out at this level is difficult as well. With no fear of a stall warning (passivity) these guys lean on each other for 1:30 and rely on par terre to determine the outcome. I appreciate the athleticism of the wrestlers. I do believe a rules change or two are in order to reward the offensive wrestler. Did you guys catch any judo? Tons of action. Grappler, you seem to have gotten the gist of what I was saying. My hope was that some action packed wrestling might just garner some participation. I doubt that many young'uns found any inspiration in the matches. I am not alone in my sentiments, probably not in the minority either. I still love wrestling as much today as I did yesterday. I am just a bit disappointed in the strategy displayed. Mpire, not trying to bring up the state up north again. Just providing links so that others can have a look at what is being said. This is coming from a state with a few guys that made the national team.http://forum.ohiowrestlingsite.com/showthread.php?12719-Olympic-Discussion-Thread

http://www.yappi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241426

It's not about being "right" or "wrong" as one wants to make it out to be. It is my opinion that seems to be shared by a number of others. If, Mr Mpire, you wish to make this into a "right" or "wrong" situation. Then please refer me to an educated article/chat board/etc that feels Greco was action packed excitement. By the way, I like Greco!

I guess I'm just use to the Ohio Better than thou sentiments. I pay them no mind. Back in my day we would just go up there and win and just ignore those that still mocked us.

Heck I must have been a lucky SOB. I got all the weak wt. classes in Ohio whenever I went to a tourney. Oh well that was waaay back when Mr. Nelson invented the Half-Nelson and the Peterson brothers perfected the Peterson.

I may not have wrestled "Ole Blue" (my picture) but I trained a few times with Doug Blubaugh

I've been around the sport longer than you have, Mpire. All in Ohio mind you. Have traveled cross country, been to the Big 10s, MAC, Southern Scuffle, etc. As well as most of the big high school tournaments. I know what I am watching. True enough, Raider, *some* of the lighter weight Greco matches had a bit of action. Though *most* consisted of neutral position stallfests and :30 seconds of offense v defense par terre. As far as doing the sport any favors.....I would expect this site would be extremely biased toward the sport and that the opinions of one older man would have no effect. I did not realize I carried such weight. Thank you for the edification. As an aside. Will the boys be able to participate at Ironman? Would love to see how they stack up. Haven't seen Stephen wrestle in a few yrs.

Sorry but that sounded like a personal attack to me all from Ohio mind you ,And calling the olympics a snoozefest is a bit much ,perhaps you should have simply said they need to change the rules to invoke more action which has been a concern for years "although i havent been around as long as some thats old news"

As for stacking up i think Team KY matches are on youtube and the boys were on it despite a very short year for them surprised you didnt see the Ohio state tournaments in 2011 they both went undefeated on the year i wouldnt call that a few years ago . .I liked those state qualifier meets you probably saw the first place medals are small but it was always fun watching the faces of the kids up north after they got off the matt after being teched or pinned by Stephen and Austin .who were Born in Ky mind you that is if they didnt petition to make the team like your recent two x state champ from moeller did to avoid the match . :o

They have and always will stack up just fine,Austin would gladly hold out wrestling for the first part of the year for his school to make IronMan if he can go on his own it would be great and probably the only chance for anyone from Ohio to beat him i expect he spends his upperclassmen years as untested in Ohio as he was his last two years of jr high there.

And thanks for breaking up the boredom ,seriously i saw some state qualifier tournys up there with Newhouse squire collica Sheidel Abounader tayze Walz Who won in fargo Austin "who won both fr and gr and was the youngest kid on Team OH that year Alfredo

Grey Di julius Stephen who was injured and did petition and still doubled that year despite only wrestling in one FR GR tournament before Fargo that yr the first week he was cleared to wrestle .Ohio has a great fr gr set up you are lucky Otto .Labry doubled as well and nearly beat whitford like stephen almost did the year before ,those Illionois kids get all the calls out there watch that damn match betwen Stephen and Brill on you tube he was stuck end of story ,of course some kids like brill and Squire choose to do one style and get a jump up on the doublers but to Me Stephen and Labry were extremely impressive at Fargo that yr along with Walz that kid is a beast ,i see what you mean maybe HS is just more exciting than the Olympics just like college Football is funner to watch than Pro .

Grappler ,not to change the subject but i saw a wild post on the youth forum ,Are you still pushing for the hydration test for youth LOL ,and i have the olympic boredom problem solved simply let the volleyball girls be wrestlerette matt girls carry period cards and such ,it would revolutionise the sport

They have and always will stack up just fine,Austin would gladly hold out wrestling for the first part of the year for his school to make IronMan if he can go on his own it would be great and probably the only chance for anyone from Ohio to beat him i expect he spends his upperclassmen years as untested in Ohio as he was his last two years of jr high there..

OK did anyone else pick up on this little comment here? So this will be Austins last year at Campbell?

OK did anyone else pick up on this little comment here? So this will be Austins last year at Campbell?

probably just meant as when they face out of state competition, campbell travels to ohio quite often...

As for my boys and their tournaments I pushed for iron man that is up to their coach but don't worry about the boys they seem to be able to hold their own outside of ky, it's a shame the people at SWOWCA dropped CC lower on their list from first up to whatever it doesn't make sense to me but most people know why , we were looking at X but they would not accept srs and they don't get Austin without Stephen you and everyone in Ohio would have learned real quick how they would do seeing as how you forgot in a yr but don't worry with your knowledge of wrestling across the nation you will find out .

But coupled with this quote It looks like its already written in the sand.

Yes thats exactly what i meant by that remark CC goes to Ohio a few times duiring the year and they were first on the list into SWOWCA but got dropped down MYSTERIOUSLY and when i talked to the coaches About Iron Man they said they were planning to beef up their Schedule next season ,of course i would rather see it this year i know they have a couple big tournys picked out but why not do the biggest no reason in my way of thinking to do a big tourny and win or lose still not get the benifit of doing one they should be able to get in it may take a couple years of hitting a tourny like Iron Man to get on the podium ,i think their team is very strong now with Stephen Hamilton Austin Fauz Mathews and the rest they could win some matches at Iron Man i know losing Yenter is a blow and Frank was a very good wrestler but i dont know if he was Iron Man Caliber ,I think its a mistake not to hit the biggest tournaments this year when at least in my opinion "and i know i am right "they are at a peak as far as talent .

Now as for Austin of course everyone outside of KY wants him to hit Iron Man not many Soph or Fresh 220 can hang there those ?#&#* think he will bite the dust and want to see him take a fall before he hits his upperclassmen years where he should dominate for the most part but its not just about winning and losing,He did well in OH and the nation in Youth in Jr High and so far in HS he did everything he could possibly do on his part for himself his team and his state he hates to lose but actually he hates missing the big tournaments and the chance to win even more ,

I think as a state Championship team you should do your best to get that state out there in the public eye get your team in the national spotlight and get your studs the matches they need to advance and test themselves .

If i were a coach at say Newport "no Disrespect intended i like those guys a lot but they have no national level wrestlers "yet""i would do Iron Man if i could the learning experience alone is huge ,BUT it doesnt have to Be Iron Man... PowerAde or Cheesehead would be great one of the big three ,just coming from OH Austin WANTs the Iron Man he saw his Idols as a youth wrestler there make the podium he saw his brother make the podium there as a fresh at Iron Man and Powerade beating national num 1s and state champs from all across the nation .

I think Austin is fine with CC i know he wanted to be with his old coach Ryan Root in High School they know each other very well as far as what they expect and can be accomplished with each other and they both expect nothing but the best in the room and on the mat and in the biggest tournaments in the country, when someone trains you and takes you across the nation and makes you a national youth and Jr High champ basically showing you you can do anything see the country and you are better than most ever give you credit for even under conditions no one would give you a chance under you have a special bond ,This guy let Austin as a fourth and fifth grader wrestle on his Jr High club team even though it cost him money and respect from parents of older kids he never hesitated to take up for him or find a way to take him anywhere no matter how far or how much it cost he always took up for his studs and those that worked the hardest and i believe he always favored Austin from the start even when he had other kids that would help his team more at the moment to be working with he never hesitated to help a youth wrestler over one of his jr high or high school kids even when My boys were not on his team he looked out for them and still does ,everything isnt always perfect but when it gets down to it its always whats best for the kids ,He will never have another coach in his life that will coach him as long or show him as much or do the things they have done together nothing negative towards the CC coaches its just theres a huge bond there and hopefully He can get some of that with his new coaches and im sure he has already now if he is there for four years won his four titles and has left no doubt in anyones mind he is the best wrestler in CC and possibly the state ever and spent that time with his new team and coaches getting it done in state and out im sure they will have a bond and ties of their own that first state title and that ring and his performance this summer being a great start .He competes in multiple sports and has a dream to play ball and Wrestle in College i think he can do it but i think coaches see a wrestler a big wrestler and stereotype him as a lineman and he is a good one but he is a great FB in a world that likes to pass and a big LB in HS surounded by small fast lb who may fit the bill now but who do not have the potential to go to the next level ,not getting into football any more thats another forum im sure ,

As for OLYMPIC wrestling i just saw a finals match between a USA guy LOL and an Iranian and it was awesome had all the hallmarks of a great match great movement "circling rather than back and forth" a weakness of KY kids great sprawling great shots great counter shots and reshots saw a few guts earlier today with great shots nice tie ups ,didntsee any big throws but i did not see all the matches i was pleased with what i saw i cant see the complaints about these matches at least being boring i thought they were awesome .the Iranian had great position it was one of those matches where skill and speed vs positioning and skill and speed crap out of psitioning or perhaps it was simply trying to avoid a beating and escape witha hopeful sneaky point here or there ,classic match i thought

Congrats to Jordan Burroughs. There were some really tough matches in freestyle today, fun to watch, far from boring. Great day for USA wrestling bringing home the gold.

CCwrestler Your post popped up after my last one as you can tell by reading my last post my boys and I have a lot of respect for their former coach he was and still may be at X and Austin wanted to be with him and he wanted to coach the boys in HS Stephen was always against the move not against his former coach but wanted to remain at CC and still does we looked into it X is a great school and has a fantastic Football program and up and coming wrestling program and with Coach Root there it would have been a sure bet that Austin and Stephen would get to compete at Iron Man and then Some the gcl is the premiere football league in the nation and X is the largest private school in Ohio ,no need to go over the benifits ,not sure that people know who Ryan Root is but he is a phenomenal coach and helped create most of the studs you her about presently in southwest OH he has been a great influence on many of the areas top kida despite the ever present drama of wrestling ,as I said it takes time to form bonds and respect is earned he has ours we have his and hopefully everything continues to go well at CC we have always had the dream of four and i had told coach Root as well as Coach Jordan that I hoped to come back to KY one day with my boys ,we are here and that is how it stands ,

Nothing we have done or looked into has been done in secret and I am not sure that Coach Root will even coach at X now but best of luck to him he is a phenomenal coach and mentor .

Austin wanted to go to Trinity for obvious reasons but it all worked out great at CC and everything has been fine , of course I want to see the kida pushed and an awesome schedule the same as everyone else , I will say that after watching a lot of practices CC and coach B run a very good tough room on par with any I have seen in OH in Hs maybe not the same technique but the intensity Is there but I have never seen a room that compared to prodigys original teams practices it forged kids it made them become national level athletes and it was because of the Roots Ryan and his Father .

Congrats to Jordan Burroughs. There were some really tough matches in freestyle today, fun to watch, far from boring. Great day for USA wrestling bringing home the gold.

Great to see Burroughs get one. You are right, the freestyle action was not boring at all. Guys were really getting after it. Jake Varner, tough as nails. God to see Cael in the corner.