Sign in to follow this  
bulldog-leader

2012-2013 State tournament.

I guess i shouldnt be commenting since i did not see last years event ,but i have never never never been to a tournament that had any decent amount of respect that could only hold 4 mats ,not saying anything bad just saying .

Kids used to get hurt all the time over the years it was at Frankfort simply because it was so cramped. They would run into railings, stairs, score tables, other mats... People had to walk on the corners of the mats to get to their seat most of the time. Come on peeps....

The dungeon is outdated and outgrown.

The intensity of the dungeon can not and will not be able to be matched by the all tech center. I do however think that the All tech was a good advancement in space because honestly the Dungeon was a little cramped on the lower level i think that seating was fine however. The All Tech needs to have a spot light for the finals (heck maybe even a stage), allow for beach balls and all forms of balls to be thrown back up into the stands, keep the party alive. I fell in love with the State tournament my freshman year do to all the antics that are performed during the finals and worked my butt of to get there. If we want the sport of wrestling to grow the young have to be inspired and the All tech did not impress me this year intensity wise and thats what young wrestlers want. intensity

• Upvote 1

Don't you think the young wrestlers would be more impressed and want to wrestle on a bigger stage that appeared to be a bigger stage and is rather than go to a state tournament and it remind them of a small middle scchool gym with people running into each other .I thought the celebration was more than adequate for the young kids to cut loose as i said i did not see it before but i have not seen anything like it elsewhere so it seemed ok to me as far as something a little extra .Perhaps you hold its old location dear because of your memories and not what is best for the sport and its athletes .Having a state tournament in an Arena smaller than the regional tournaments is a bit ridiculous no matter what the history involved .

As a fan who has been to a lot of tournaments in numerous states i liked AllTech it was very roomy not greatly comfortable but ok there was a lot of extra room for vendors fans and whatever else and it was the type of place a wrestler could get in the zone without a bunch of distractions it was a great setting a place you would expect KY to have its state tournament ,I did not notice the dirt but i was not on the floor .

Yes a spotlight would be nice and a raised floor for Finals would be awesome and those are the types of things that would look out of place in a little gym .

I understand the intensity thing a little bit but its just smoke and mirrors that comes from cramped quarters its not real and i think the adrenaline rush a kid would get from wrestling in a much bigger arena would be better than that closed quarters feeling and all the distractions that come with it ,in a big arena no one will be looking five feet away at half your teammates or opponents or some kid blowing his nose you will be focused on what is in front of you .

The Dungeon was way bigger than any regional gym.... It wasnt as small as you think.

10,000 square feet

• 5,000+ seat arena

• Nearly 17,000 square feet of total exhibit space

• 189 unit Capital Plaza Hotel & Conference Center

• Fountain Place Shoppes

• Frankfort YMCA

• Kentucky River View Park

• 2,000 parking spaces

• Pedestrian walkway to Historic Downtown Frankfort

And who wants to be wrestling in an arena where the dirt is constantly an issue, i am allergic to dust and it was actually a little more irritating than you would think. I do however realize that this is where the state tournament is going to be held, at least for this year and im not complaining because it is a very nice facility i just think that the dungeon had something that no other gym i have been too has... But improvements would be nice; more staircases, cover up the floor better, lighting, a stage possibly?? any news on that?? I know we werent allowed last year but any talk of getting one? we also need some cheaper food, it was crazy how expensive the concessions were.

I really like the warm up area however MUCH better than the convention center. 6 mats running was also a good bonus but i still think it should be a 3 day event instead of only 2. I dont like having the wrestling going so late into the night, not good for last minute weight cutting.

• Upvote 1

Dirt issue can be addressed easily with tarps or plastic before laying down the perforated floor. Im guessing those who have issue with the dust never played any outdoor sports (baseball, football). The new location has some kinks that need addressed for sure. I think its going to be a great venue for years to come. Kentucky wrestling is growing and progressing. Frankfort was nice for a time and the memories that go with it. It's time to move on to bigger and better things.

I really like the warm up area however MUCH better than the convention center. 6 mats running was also a good bonus but i still think it should be a 3 day event instead of only 2. I dont like having the wrestling going so late into the night, not good for last minute weight cutting.

And we're back to what I believe was really the driving force behind the move to Lexington. The KHSAA doesn't want wrestlers -- and those students who attend the tournament -- to miss more school than they have to. Hence, the shortened tourney.

I'd like to see the 6 mats being used during the semifinals with two mats of semifinals and the other 4 being wrestle backs. That would cut down the time of being at the arena until 10pm.

• Upvote 1

As I said I did not go so there is no way I could know the specifics of the other tournaments all I k SW was everyone said it was crowded and only had 3/4 mats and that doesn't sound like a state tournament to me , to bad about being allergic to dust SARS Mersa ringworm mat herpes and all that other funk Are usually the fear of most wrestlers and more mats probably cuts down on that "I don't know I'm just fishing " I actually liked All tech coming for

Another state after seeing a lot of sate tournys I was pleased and happy for the state no one can down that facility it is something to be proud of I didn't see any dust storms my own sons didn't complain , they won jr high state in a horse arena up in oh and it was waaaaaayyyy dirtier and much more beat down and we loved it but it's memories that make some things better than they are we just never complained it cared they would wrestle outside but I'm sure they expect HS state to live up to their and everyone's expectations and All Tech for the most part was flawless maybe not as convenient and maybe a little dust but we liked it and had my own sons not been in the tourny and perhaps we had only been spectators I would still compliment the arena ,

When going to a tournament you go to wrestle and expect to do that in a proper setting if one of my kids said gosh we have to go 12 minutes away Or shucks there isn't a McDs close by or one of em said ooooohhh this place is dusty one or all of us would say quit being a pussy and making excuse are you a wrestler or a ballerina .now if your allergic that's one thing or if the mats are slick or dirt interferes with performance That's not good but I have seen worse places ,

Just saying I was impressed with it it was classy ,

Doesn't matter one way I the other just trying to be positive and help they could wrestle in the middle of a Metallica concert or in pig pen it doesn't matter Champions adapt and overcome to surroundings settings and any obstacle , hell yeah that's what wrestling is about .

• Upvote 1

Mpire: your confusing me. Your talking in circles. In one sentance your saying the arena should be of championship quality then in the next you say it could be done in a pig pen. Dang dude it's like you have a second personality showing up. :D (Just bustin your chops).

Seriously. Both arena's have their positives and negatives, both for wrestlers and spectators. The convenience of the hotel room near by was great for those wrestlers that had no way to travel but with the team, but the 6+ mats that can be used at the Horse Park and making it a 2 day tourney is great. I would like to see them use the time more efficiently, and not have to wrestle till midnight either night. (But it was the 1st year and they will experiment with the scedule) They had to do the same thing at the Dungeon.

Give it some time the arena will develope it's own personality and excitement. It won't be the same as the Dongeon but it can still be a great experience. Just give it time.

I know what your saying but someone told me the other day that unless ALL the filters are changed and the ventalation ducts are cleaned AFTER a non-holy flooring has been installed before the mats are put down it will not matter. Once it is in the system the dust just gets redistributed. This came from someone that deals with breathing problems on a daily basis. They were shocked that more people did not complain.

There is a differnce in OUTDOOR sports like baseball and footbal there is some grass. They typically are not played on surfaces that animals have defecated on and the dirt is stirred up and recirculated in the air.

Dirt issue can be addressed easily with tarps or plastic before laying down the perforated floor. Im guessing those who have issue with the dust never played any outdoor sports (baseball, football). The new location has some kinks that need addressed for sure. I think its going to be a great venue for years to come. Kentucky wrestling is growing and progressing. Frankfort was nice for a time and the memories that go with it. It's time to move on to bigger and better things.

good idea about sealing in the dirt with tarps. Need to lower the lights pre-finals to allow for the little guys to have glo-stick they really complained last year.

Mommaswatching...I guess you were never a proponant of the ol saying "rub some dirt on it"? How about at the gates they hand out paper dust masks for those with alergies. I'm just kiddin:) I just dont think any of the negatives mentioned are a huge problem and I believe those in charge will work through these issues.

I know i feel like Elmer Fud i get tricked into saying opposite stuff this is all so confusing LMAO ,just passing time but i already said i never saw the tournament in Frankfort just going from what i was told and what i saw .

AllTech was awesome i got to see some very good wrestling there and it felt like it was the right setting and the right surroundings and as for intensity on our side it was there not sure what everyone else felt you create your own intensity you cannot rely on a crowd or surroundings for yourself to get fired up its something that you learn to do or want it doesnt matter if a kid is cutting up in the stands laughing or setting calmly by themselves meditating on what they have to do it matters what goes on in your head when you walk on the mat and its go time.

I noticed a lot of people asking if my boys were ready at state because they seemed so calm and not high strung its just the way you become after years of competing it takes a lot to shake you up if it can even be done you show up you wrestle your best and what happens happens all the window dressing doesn't really matter i understand atmosphere but as a wrestler you shouldnt worry about such things its The State tournament it should have the same atmosphere every year no matter where it is .As for me /us i will always remember seeing both my boys win High School State titles together along with their team winning the Team title makes AllTech the all time best Arena ever .Ridemout doesnt those rings make it your favorite and as of this moment you should have it in your mind that AllTech is the absolute best place in the world for a tournament because its where you will have your last and only chance to win that state title it will be the place your last memories of trying to get that High School title take place win or lose make it the Meccah of wrestling the place where the world learns you are a state champ there is no former state tournament that matters and there never will be again .BE POSITIVE or whine about dust 12, minute trips,no spotlights,and whatever else that comes to mind,me i will remeber it differently its the place where i learned KY had studs to match anywhere else and the place where my sons stepped up did their best and earned their spot amongst the best again,never forget that place and i suppose there are plenty who have the same memories in the former site it doesnt matter where they have it its the wrestling that counts .

Now i say they have some exhibition matches there between some youth wrestlers a couple on day 1 and a couple on day 2 that will get the youth kids involved maybe let each region pick a couple of kids from it to wrestle that would be awesome and start to give all Tech that place that kids start to respect and shoot to get to every year .

yea you will understand what i meant as the intensity its just different. Of course i love the All Tech, who doesnt love their first finals match? And then to hopefully win their first state title there it will always be a great place to me

Remembering the place and remembering the wrestling are two totally different things.

I will always hate the place I had to wrestle my state tourneys. We wrestled at Atherton High school all four years. Not a great place to wrestle a state tourney.

However I still saw some of the best matches I have ever seen their in the 80's and 90s.

• Upvote 1

What is the most State titles any region has ever won I can see 6 with a very good shot at 7 maybe even 8 if most everyone goes as predicted with a couple big shifts,45-82 would all have favorites or top three and i see a win possible at 195 or 220 actually both because Thompson will go where Austin is not and either can make either weight and a very big Darkhorse to most but not any shock to me Hvy win thats half the classes .of course thats a guess and a couple big iffs ,a pretty good shot at a light weight champ as well just dont know what weight 120 -138 .wherever Brock and Jayce are not .5 would be a safe guess but more are very possible and likely .

After looking at it very very realistically 45 being a good matchup between Polly and Hamilton who will improve greatly this year 45 up could all go to region 6 Hamilton,Cooper 52,Stephen 60, 70 n 82 a few options,Austin wherever Bryant is,and Thompson wherever Austin is not 195 and 220.

And Cody is going to be top three no way he ends up out of top five and something is wrong if he doesnt win .I know its sounds crasy going from DNP to Champ but i see it happening Grant is a young Team and i see Cody Wrestling in college .Look out for the all American Mathews from CC to do well at 182 and i expect Terner at 170 and Keeton most likely at 195 to join him on the podium at state .

I think CC room will be a bit different Frank and Yenter are gone but Stephen and Austin are there and the rest of the team is intact older and will learn and improve a lot this year there will be a battle for the 52 or 60 spot and whoever comes out with it will have the tools to place at state as well .

having a great incoming class is good but there is not much space for a place on CC team even for those coming from the jr high state championship team . this team is stacked and from mid weights up i see a lot of placers no bs .I find it hard to believe they are not picked 1st .as for the lighter weights i know some but not where they are going so im not short changing any of you i simply have more focus and insight on the bigger kids,Faus is an AA and that says it all and Maggard and the rest are solid .you wont see to many new faces and i think they go back to back ,and most of these guys are not slacking as reported i see em on the football field and they are not playing Xbox .

I know i hype my Younger boy up a lot but this year they will not be setting out most of the year and Stephen will get out of first gear and at least into fourth or fifth and he had about 1 min and 37 seconds of matt time his first three matches at state last yr after about four weeks of wrestling i think he shows a little more of what he can do if thats possible as for his doubters it will hit him he is a SR has a whole yr isnt moving and is leaving soon but to a D1 school of his choosing to Wrestle,and Austin is what he is and is going to be Kys biggest ever freshman and four x Champ a National champ and the kid who made that dufus who said his class was weak last year trying to diminish his win look like an idiot with his off season accomplishments and wins over a Sr champ and srs in general last yr .

Union and SK are great teams with some super stars but CC is loaded and had kids last year who were on the cutting edge who will improve with CCs great coaches and no one there has really gotten to take full advantage of just what is there not by a long shot they havent scratched the Surface In all honesty the stink and drama of the transfer made things awkward there for the final few weeks and Stephen and Austin were withdrawn and trying simply to quickly get ready for state ,Everyone will be surprised what they can actually bring to a team if they let them and lose the tension and get in their heads to make them work hard and help ,not going to keep bragging but they have been trained for years by some pretty decent coaches numerous NCAA champs and even past and present olympians,and a coach that was even better than all of them who will be helping them out a lot this year as well .Im psyched im one of those dads and im going to watch my sons team win state again his sr yr while he wins another state title along with his brother .

sorry Ranger just like i told you last year Austin should be Number 1 CC should be Number 1 this year you have misjudged their depth their coaches and particularly the effect one of the nations most underated wrestlers is going to have on his team his sr year ,looking at all the nations top rankings i doubt you could find many kids in the nation who have beaten as many kids ranked ahead of him in as many classes as Stephen a 2x undefeated state champ and multiple x AA 3 in Fargo alone.

Campbell county has a new Captain and leader on their team if they can get him to lead and work they and him cannot loose He is a Phenom a Legend and he is the best wrestler to ever put on that purple and gold ,i dont really care who likes it they paid the price last year with setting out then attitudes over people not liking it or perceived thoughts of some of what i have just written i dont care who likes it who thinks its cocky or who wants to talk smack about it they paid the price they did the work their whole life and they and we took the crap ,Glad we came back to Ky it started out rough but its constantly getting better great people even those who can deal and somewhat understand me who despite my reputation sets back takes in what is happening and actually reads it all rather well .

Looking forward to my little one hitting the mat some this year 13 more years of wrestling this is awesome .;)

Mpire - I will have to say that I have read your posts from the first one and I see that you are still very passionate about you're kids, but you have evolved your posts to be more contructive and positve over that time and I for one, like it. Keep them coming because I know you will.

After posting all the CC stuff then hearing all the kids plans, who knows i think they are all nuts they are planning on wrestling as many classes as they can and dropping extremely low at the end i think they will be in for a rude awakening when the season starts i doubt a coach wants kids wrestling all across the board it would make getting a lineup set impossible .At least one of them said where he was going and even he argued with me i think the 220 is going 220 straight through ,hopefully the coaches take control these kids are hyper and thinking way outside the box ,to much video games not enough discipline .I guess the coaches know how to control the insanity i am hearing ,i am just glad they are all fired up thanks Ranger .