Sign in to follow this  
cmccoy

Realignment Update

I spoke with Mike Barren and wanted to share some info on realignment. The realignment plan will be passed and released this fall. It should go in front of the board of control around the end of July and than be passed and released in the fall. I do not know what the plan looks like or where teams will be. The plan will go into effect the following (2013-2014) season. I hope this helps and answers some of the questions out there.

You have to give coaches time to rearrange their schedule's. Many coaches already have their schedules made out for next year. If they cange regions they will need to adjust so that they meet kids in their reagion, or don't meet kids in their reagion to often.

Goo is right. That is the reason. If it is passed in August, Coaches would have to redo schedules to make it work. Giving it a season to set in allows teams to redo schedules, tie up budgets (for those moving regions), etc. Plus, look at this way... everyone will have more time to get on here and "talk" about it.

Goo is right. That is the reason. If it is passed in August, Coaches would have to redo schedules to make it work. Giving it a season to set in allows teams to redo schedules, tie up budgets (for those moving regions), etc. Plus, look at this way... everyone will have more time to get on here and "talk" about it.

I think we all will talk about it a lot more, but you and GOO pretty much wrapped up the "why does it take so long" for me. Very good points and it makes very good sense.

Wouldn't the reformation of districts defeat the KHSAA's purpose when it changed to a 32-man bracket, which is to get more kids in the state tourney? If you bring back districts, the KHSAA needs to bring back the 16-man bracket for state.

• Upvote 1

With wrestling growing in KY, is there any talk of going back to having districts again, or allowing more than one entry per team? Just curious.

Do you mean more than one entry per weight class?????

that would never work it would be total chaos as far as team points and the like ,and it would make the private schools even more attractive you would have to have seperate state tournys for them .

Do you mean more than one entry per weight class?????

that would never work it would be total chaos as far as team points and the like ,and it would make the private schools even more attractive you would have to have seperate state tournys for them .

Good luck with that, mpire.

Folks here have long debated a public/private split in this state. It'll never happen, and it really shouldn't.

People have wanted to put all the Catholic schools into one class in football, and I think that's just ridiculous. They've even wanted to split wrestling into public/private which, again, is crazy.

And I believe plantman was talking about allowing a team more than one entrant in each weight, which would screw everything up.

I personally like that idea. Especially under the scenario of a district, region, state format. That would leave each district relatively low in numbers. If ABC county has a tough JV 106 pounder let him in. It probably needs to be limited. Say each team is allowed 3 "extras" that do not score team points. Wrestling is such a tough sport and in many cases being relegated to JV means limited mat time and often kids don't stick it out. Having the opportunity to compete when it counts, even if you aren't the A teamer, could help keep kids interested.

People dont understand the 32 man bracket was designed to bring in more kids to the state tournament, it was design to have more schools at the state tournament, Lets face it (an part of this annoys me too) If you water down the competition, you allow more schools to participate. If you add the fact that middle school wrestlers might be going away in HS ( I dont think it will but you will never know) and let large programs add more than one entrant, the competitive balance will greatly tilt towards the really big programs and small schools that only have 2 or 3 kids in the tournament will go away. We have done a good job promoting the top level talent in this state, now we need to help promote getting more qualified refs and coaches and grass roots levels programs.

I thought thats what he meant thats why i said what i did .

My line of thinking is this and its true ,IF you let more than one kid in the state tournament at one weight class and had no limit to the number of kids allowed to participate or qualify for state from each team then every single decent kid would head to a private school because there would be no way in heck any public school could beat them without open enrollement .\

I have listened to the public private debate for years its really not ridiculous in some cases in ky football is dominated by private schools now or at least a private school ,in Ohio wrestling is dominated by a private school and a public school that guess what yes thats right St Paris Graham has open enrollement so it has the same advantages as a private school .

I can see public schools getting ticked at the advantages of private schools and as a parent i can see wanting my son to go to a private school if it benifits them ,

It may never happen but its in no way a Crazy thought or movement ,

To actually say its fair that all these private schools soak up and get all the best athletes from all over the state is RIDICULOUS heck no its not fair or crazy for some people wanting the split ,

I think there should be some kind of seperation or at least something that gives fair credit to public schools for their accomplishments ,If i was a coach and had a stud team that lost to a private school i would be SOOOOO tiicked.

I cannot recruit or pull kids from ten counties how the heck am i supposed to look my kids in the face and say hey guys you didnt work hard enough or as a coach i wasnt good enough i wouldnt do either because it would be a lie i would look my kids in the face and say hey those guys were good we did our best but life isnt fair .and that sucks because i hate losing .......hate it hate it hate it yes im a sore A$$ looser .