Sign in to follow this  
rideemout

teams that have the biggest advantage

Pretty simple...unless someone gets injured, becomes ineligible....or eligible: Union, Simon Kenton and Campbell Co. Those three teams are going to battle it out for the top spot. Everyone else will be playing catch up.

• Upvote 1

I dont think you can count out Ryle or Walton-Verona. Both teams have multiple returning state places. I dont think they have enough from top to bottom just yet but should be very tough competitive teams. They are both great programs. Northern Ky is full of talented wrestlers and teams. I would say however that it will be tough for anyone to knock off Campbell County this year. Should be a fun year,

dutch - I don't think you can count Ryle or WV out either, but the teams to beat this year have to be Union, SK and CC, not in any particular order. I think Ryle and WV will be in the top ten given the experience that the kids are gaining, but will they have 7 or 8 placers and a champ or two mixed in there that will put them over the top to make it into the top 5?

• Upvote 1

The one's that work the hardest in the offseason! State championships are won in February but earned March through October!

I tend to agree with this statement CCMS_SC. And if this is true then Campbell is not going to fare well this year. My nephew is on Campbell's team. To bad he couldn't have stayed on the other side of the Licking river with the rest of the family.

With the exception of maybe 3 indivicuals (the Meyers and Fausz) the rest of Campbells team are doing very llittle. The Senor class of Campbell next year is not very focused. They are the "Party" class. Unless I'm missing a senior I believe they are Woods, Hamilton, Meyer, Bachman, and Keeton. From what I hear they spend way to much time partying this summer and not enough time on wrestling.

You also have Bachman, Turner, and Keeton focusing most of their time on football this year. To bad they don't have an Overdrive on the team then they would have BTO (Awsome rockers). Without this core Simon will be able to dominate in region then be able to give Union a true run for their money. Don't get me wrong Meyers walks away with it (Both do) Fausz is a true possible state champ. Hamilton will be top 4-5, But the rest will probably not make a showing with the work they are giving this summer. Without this group performing Campbell doesn't have a chance.

Just my look at things. If this occurs this will allow me to pick on my nephew and tell him and his parents "see you should have stayed at SK."

I think some of the kids may be working a bit harder than you suspect ,Mathews placed at nhsca nationals ,and many were on the dual team .....

As far as Football im sure its quite a bit better than setting home doing nothing and actually the cross training effect of it all is actually very good ,i actually talked stephen into playing he wasnt sure and its not worth getting hurt before college but there is not that much wrestling going on and the "hype of Football far outshines that of wrestling in high school and keeps kids working and thats what its all about..

I would have to agree about the seniors needing to step up but after seeing them and knowing one very well it isnt quite what it seems ,Hamilton and Stephen who should be leaders do not have the type of mentality to lead as many others do ,Hamilton likes to have fun and is very talented ,much more than anyone will ever get to see because of discipline and simply busting it and Stephen will turn it on and like Hamilton lead by example ,stephen couldnt be a captain if his life depended on it he doesnt want anyone to not like him unless he is pinning them and usually even them ,Austin and Faus will be great captains and leaders they will lead by example and both seem to have it in them to maybe dump someone on their head for slowing down their roll ,

I see CC dominating as they did state if everything holds together i see no other schools doing much more than the cc kids and actually less ,Ryle whille they have some young studs and decent kids will not be able to handle CC as they did last year in their dual and WV has a great future if they get the kids but have no where near enough firepower to hang with CC or SK ,CC will need pretty much the same performance at state as they had last year which means some kids will have to step up and should with hard workers in the room ,not blasting stephen or Paul or the coaches but you either have to get in their head or their ass as coaches and bring out what they have or have kids never realise their potential regardless of wether they are state champs or not .

I see your point wrestlingfan "also your angle "lol

Stephen and Hamilton will shift it into gear and i suspect there has never been two SRs as talented as these two ever at CC at the same time ,of course i will get blasted but its just a hunch these two have great natural ability and i know one will work in the right setting and i suspect both will and i would be surprised if Hamilton isnt top three at state and a champ at the right weight ,Faus is surrounded by studs in a tough class at state and is definatly a state champ caliber wrestler ,Stephen Paul Cooper Polly and perhaps Canter could all be around the same weight and there is another kid or two i may be forgetting ,i think Chamberle at SK and Austin are the clearest champs in the region and there may only be one for sure state champ in the region going in to state next year if he stays 220 and he will ,

And i have noticed some SK kids dogging it at practice quite a bit this summer right along with the CC kids ;)

And while Ryle and Walton have their own things going i have not seen any HS wrestlers from there at very many open mats at SK OR CC..which seems strange to me .

Can't speak for the others for Ryle but Logan Erdman's training and will be ready to compete for a title this yr. it won't be a repeat goose egg I can promise that. The intro to hs is over.

I see Union having a shot ,What other teams in Louisville can hang with SK ,CC ,or Union ,I hear Trinity has a deep deep squad but do they have any big guns that are going to score big at State ??????

MPire: You are correct in the notion that there will not be any senior leaders for Campbell next year. There will be maybe 6 Seniors on the team next year. Powers, Woods, Hamilton,Meyers, Bachman, Keaton, and maybe Moore.

I don't see a leader among them. Powers, Moore, and Woods does not have the respect of the team. Keaton does not have the work ethic, Hamilton wants to play all the time. Bachman (my son) and Meyers (using your words) don't want to be leaders.

Your comments about Hamilton and Meyers being the best ever at Campbell in the practice room. Hamilton is not a good practice room person, he has the most talent of all the wrestlers in the room, but has not reached his potential yet. He has improved much but still not the leader or great wrestler he could be.

Wr.fan: Not sure who your nephew is but he has given you good information. I've been talking about that exact thing with my son and his buddies.

By the way the 90 team at campbel had is the best wrestling room ever. The 4 top weights should have all been state champions. Zinga was a state champ (probably the best ever at campbell) R. Turner and P. Hagan both defeated the state champs that year. J. Newman lost the the eventual HWT in the last seconds in the Semi's. Along with Strause and Coach Gray (who was a Jr. that year), not to mention Brandon Wilkins an 8th grader who became a 2X champ and a 5X placer. No 215,or 220 otherwise another Turner would have been on the team. By the way I was not part of that team i was part of the 83 team.

I dont think you can count out Ryle or Walton-Verona. Both teams have multiple returning state places. I dont think they have enough from top to bottom just yet but should be very tough competitive teams. They are both great programs. Northern Ky is full of talented wrestlers and teams. I would say however that it will be tough for anyone to knock off Campbell County this year. Should be a fun year,

Not very hard to figure out. Will be a very tight race between Union, Simon Kenton and Campbell County. Simon Kenton has 3 with a legit shot to win it all. And 8 that will probably make the podium. Union has 3 maybe 4 with a legit shot to win it all, with 7 that will probably make the podium. Campbell, Stephen and Austin are shoe ins, but it will be interesting to see if Fausz can get it done this year. I think he can. Hamiton, if he goes 52 has no shot but will be top 3.

1 Union

2 Simon Kenton

3 Campbell County

Ryle has too many question marks in the upper weights. Though I do see 5, maybe 6 on the podium and if the stars align right, possibly 2 or 3 that could win it or at least be in the finals. That would be enought to get Ryle in the top 5-7 as a team I think. Walton has a couple that could find themselves in the finals but they have too many holes. One things for certain, region 6 is stacked.

Region 6 is stacked and it will definitely be interesting to see how things play out this season and watch the kids compete. One thing is for certain in Region 6....some good wrestlers are going to be left at home because they couldn't break the top four in their own region where they would easily make it in others.

I did not really say there would be no Sr leadership i said they do not have the mentality to lead as others do ,as for the other srs i have not spoken with them or seen them as much as i have Paul or Stephen .While Stephen and a kid like Paul may not be considered Leaders by many i know some pretty good coaches who would agree a fun loving kid in the room who is a silent kiler on the mat and in a hard practice setting is the best leader you could ask for and with a few like that in the room setting the pace and tempo anything is possible .

Nothing or no one is a shoe inn ..that is the thinking that creates upsets and turns leaders into play babies .

Although Austin will not be a play baby and will not be taking a loss in state anytime soon or ever in my opinion .

I do not know Zinga or the 90 team but i do know wrestling and i know Yenter Stephen Austin Faust Frank Hamilton and the rest would have spanked the 90 team and the best ever at CC ,wether i am being bias or not is pretty clear cut, cocky, arrogant, or whatever you may call me i live with the person he busts his ass always has and has done it under less than great circumstances over and over again wherever he has been .A freshman state champ at 220 going undefeated and beating a former state champ handily in the process going undefeated not only inn season but at freshman nationals bringing back an OW after 3 pins and a tech then going undefeated at Schoolastic duals a former tulsa champ and multiple x jr high state champ in OH who went undefeated in multiple national tournys and duals in jr high and grade school ,

The time for me to quit bragging is past ,the time for some respect is past as well ,he could have possibly won state at about 4 weight classes as a freshman ,and Stephen on the money could wrestle rings around Zinga or anyone else ever at CC a 3 x AA a powerade and Iron Man top 4 placer as freshman who didnt let a single opponent make it through a match with him in state all while wrestling at a weight he never should have been and setting out most of the year who went undefeated in OH as a soph and a jr in KY .I doubt many kids in the country could have pulled that off let alone any ever at CC ,

I hear talk of former champs at CC and how good they were and it always seems to be aimed at taking a little shot at my boys or making a statement aimed at them and while i am all about respect it works both ways i will give anyone their due and even hold my tounge but enough is enough .

You can say the sky is not blue but it doesnt change what everyone knows and while i do not have to scratch my itch and say anything i think its obvious a kid should get as much respect from the home team as he does from the rest of the teams in the state

No disrespect to anyone and i probably smashed some toes but i get tired of tiptoeing to avoid my own from getting smashed .

Those 90's CC teams were stacked. I hated them with a deep passion, only to become good friends with many of them.

Lets be quite frank, Zinga was bad, but the Myers brothers are on a whole other level compared to any past CC state champions. Those kids will be arguably the best to ever come from this state, much less from CC. Those dudes are human wrecking balls.

Region 6 is so stacked it is scary. I remember back in the 80's being a little kid watching how awesome the WKY area was with those stacked Hoptown and Christian County teams. I think this year's region 6 might even be better.

• Upvote 1

I know some of those 90s guys i went to CC and worked with some of them later ,Austin would tech pin J Newman in the first period ,and he was my buddy ,they would not have beaten this years team at a state setting ,he would have also tech pinned his former coach at Grant county who is a much touted former CC state champ ,those guys could not even name describe or attempt to hit over half the moves Austin can do let alone be declared better wrestlers ,He would have beaten them at their best last year as an an eight grader . Superman is'nt really a bossy guy or balls out person but when the crap hits the fan the Justice leauge knows who to turn to although Batman is really the leader of the leauge in many peoples opinion and the big Amazon is really pulling all the strings who cares who is the leader theres a reason its Called a TEAM let everyone train and learn from each other and improve from the effort and skill of their teammates ,The leader is the one who is pushing everyone else and making them better helping and showing everyone else what he knows ,not the one who is standing around bossing gesturing and trying to force everyone to be better .As i said CC does not have the leaders that lead with the mentality that others do or most expect but they do have some big time SR leaders on the team some who will be not only respected but liked and admired by their teammates of course i would agree if they would show more effort all the time it would be perfect . So does this mean everyone is transferring to SK because their leaders will whip the shit out of you and give you a beat down and everyone on the site is trying to say they are outworking CC . I love propaganda and message board games why beat around the bush and play word games just come right out and say hey man im ticked at CC and im gonna blast on em a little , I enjoy simply stating how i feel it makes people hate me at times and very often i let my emotions get the better of me but i dont have to feel fake about myself . 4 state champs last year a handful of placers a few nationally ranked guys the best jr high and HS team in the state great and experienced coaches and a great fan base they are number 1 untill someone beats them ,they have the biggest advantage they have the rings .and an undefeated freshman national champ OW winner and Norse god they call BO BO or BOZO or something ridiculous ;)

region six is tough but i would watch out for Union they are totally impressive and have a few wrestling gods of their own on the team thinking the best to beat is right around home would be the best way for a top team to let itself slide there is always someone out there busting it up when you are relaxing ,

"Shoe in" is a term I used in voicing my opinion about 2 wrestlers I don't have any doubt will win it. Not a term I would use with my own kid as I understand the dangers of that line of thinking.

I know buddy i wasnt knocking you just sending out a warning to my own varmints ,And yes your boy will not see anymore two and outs i agree he is a great kid and i enjoy talking to him at the tournys very respectful and hard working but speaking to him for only a few minutes anyone can tell he has a great heart and that is more important in life than two and out or undefeated seasons ,You should be very very proud of your boy he is a wonderful person someone i always look for when you guys or your team is around .

I think you have to throw Moore into that conversation too

Definitely. What Coach Thomas has done down at Moore is amazing. Without the history or the biggest youth program developing kids for him. He has simply built a solid team that will surprise a lot of people for the next few years. I'm very impressed with the job he has done. And he is a great guy on top of that.

I know buddy i wasnt knocking you just sending out a warning to my own varmints ,And yes your boy will not see anymore two and outs i agree he is a great kid and i enjoy talking to him at the tournys very respectful and hard working but speaking to him for only a few minutes anyone can tell he has a great heart and that is more important in life than two and out or undefeated seasons ,You should be very very proud of your boy he is a wonderful person someone i always look for when you guys or your team is around .

He didn't go 2 and out, but he might as well have. Sometimes that's a necessary experience to get to where you want to be. By the way, that's about the best compliment a parent could get about their kid. Thank you.

Very excited about the upcoming season. It's a long off season. It sounds like the Northern Kentucky boys are working hard to acheive great things. Looking forward to spending my weekends watching them do just that.

In reference to the 90 team I was refering to the wrestling room. Hamilton is not a hard worker in the wrestling room. I've seen it for 6 years now, unless he changes this year.

As far as the 90 team goes only Fausz, Yenter, Stephen and Austin would start on that team. Different era and different style, but the 90 team dominated the upper wt.s Maybe after a full season under his belt I will proclaim Stephen the best CC wrestler over Zinga, and Austin may even surpass that.

I can tell you this, living in a house with one of those seniors on next years team. The senior class needs to get focused. They need someone to hold them together, I personaly was hoping it would be Stephen, but you say he is not a leader off the mat. That is what this team needs, they got it from Garth last year, but who will step it up this year? If not for Garth the team would wander around the gym during meets not really watching anyone else wrestle and get down to the mat when it is there turn to wrestle. Go back and look at the duals they wrestled, they rarely cheered on their teammates, it's why Ryle beat them at CC last year.

Ryle did seem very fired up and the enthusiasm wasn't there from the CC team "But" we were in the stands scoping things out LOL while the enthusiasm seemed higher on Ryles side of the mat the reason they won was because Frank" an eventual state champ "did not wrestle and i think a couple of other kids did not as well "perhaps thats why they were not fired up "you being a coach should realise this and admitt it ,as for the rooms honestly i scoped them out as well and i watched a couple of CC practices they were working their butts off and thats a fact i am not easily impressed and they impressed me ,i like all the talk of CC being soft and having soft kids it will mislead everyone else ,i do not see the room getting any easier than last year and probably harder ,And i dont know the 90 team story but 4 state champs and 7 or 8 placers can win a state team title in most states ,and i would put CC team last year against that 90 team in a state setting or dual and be confident of a win particularly at state .

Im not sure why anyone on the team would be wandering around there will be plenty of action to watch at nearly every weight class from what i have been told of the team recently they do focus on some leaders they get together and everyone discusses what moves they want them to hit and then it happens ,Thats leadership at its best ,"hey hit a belly to belly "hit a 360 double "hit a head an arm hit a Tarantula ,there will not be any kids wandering around because they will not want to miss the show baby ,

Stephen has not been at CC that long and apparently there are some issues here and there its not his place to get in anyones ass and if he did it would only bring down more contempt for him "people were already mad he got to wrestle last year and took some spots "knowhatimean"he doesnt need anyone saying he is trying to run the show but it appears people will condemn him either way if he steps up he is a showboat trying to run stuff if he stays to himself he is not stepping up doing his part as a sr LOL this is a damned if you do damned if you dont scenario so he can just do his thing and be himself ,let him do his thing and let the others do theirs and let them feed off of each other .

Stephen is not Garth or vice versa nor does he need to follow anyones path he makes his own ,anyone who has seen him do what he can at a few open mats already knows what he can do and who is who and who is the best now or then .

I dont know about you but i was at state last year and i saw an undersised 152 who only got to wrestle about 6 weeks the whole year last year and only 3 before state walk out and dominate a tournament like i have maybe only seen one other time in my life and score more points than anyone else in the whole tournament and help his and your team win a state title and he did it with class .Zinga or no one else in CC or elsewhere could touch that ,it was awesome a defining moment in someones life when you step up under pressure and less than ideal circumstance and say here i am and this is what i am about .

Thats more than being a Leader thats being a Legend ,he enjoyed being called a Phenom in OH even by his opponents a monicker earned by his efforts and talent it is no different in KY.

Pin a kid in ten seconds or less pin or tech your way through a state tournament or a season ,thats a Leader to die for .

Doesnt matter who anyone claims is the best ever at CC that was the best ever performance under those types of circumstances anyone in the state will ever see .He's the best leader in the state by a long shot.

Mpire- I will have to say that Stephen put on a very fast show and that I wanted to see more of. He flat out handled those boys and I don't think anyone that reads this site will challenge that. I had to go back and look at vidoes to see exactly what he hit and I was amazed every time I watched it. He is a "Phenom" and the other boys in his weight class don't train harder than he is, they will get hammered again. I am not on the bandwagon, just impressed by the way he wrestles and handles himself on and off the mat.

• Upvote 1

Thanks trithis he really trys to be friends with everyone a very funloving and sometimes extremely hard working kid .There are all types of leaders and champions in this sport my own boys are night and day they have had the same training and pretty much same experience exept Austin takes to the weights a bit more while stephen likes faster paced recreation ,One wants everyone to like them and the other while he is a good kid knows people will blast him regardless and doesnt mind a few negative people here and there and knows there will be ticked off people after he beats them or after he moves or whatever the case may be .If anyone doubts someones ability to lead simply ask them a question or pick their brain it will not take long to understand that someone who has the knowledge of most advanced High School coaches or college wrestlers can be a great leader without being in someones face or babysitting all the time .I have seen Garth a lot he was a great leader and extremely knowledgable person as i know John Fahy was i watched him and his interviews over the years he seemed very intelligent and composed a great role model for KY wrestling i know my words may have made people think i thought otherwise but it was all in the heat of comparrisons and talk .You become a student of the sport and each person has their own way of doing things when your kids are deeply involved you become defensive and at times very ticked when they are done wrong and mine were this year ,of course all the Grant county football coaches who dogged my boy and me are now no longer at Grant but my boys are state champs and still wrestling Kharma is for real my friends it comes around .