Sign in to follow this  
freemove

Best wrestler to never win state

Pat banks was one of the guys I was thinking about, along with Luke troxell. He was a runner up as a freshman and ended up being a 5 time placer also Cant forget Shawn hull either. The year banks lost to Ervin in the finals josh Cooper was also a senior, a multiple time state placer and runner up as a 8th grader..

Luke Troxell from Wayne Co is who immeadiately came to mind. He is a great young man and has accomplished a lot in wrestling including gaining All American status. He is and always will be a champion in my mind and I wish him all the luck in the world at the next level!

The two names that come to mind for me are:

Pat Banks - finished 7th, 3rd, 2nd, 2nd. He lost to Mitch Ervin and Harrison Courtney in the finals.

Anthony Smith - I can't remember what he did as a freshamn but he finished 2nd, 4th, and 2nd his final three years. The year he finished 4th he lost on a very controversial call to Knable in the semi's and wasn't able to wrestle for 3rd/4th. Lost to Drew Carman and Tim Whitfill in finals.

We have to add to this list every year so of course it should be brought back up. People I am gonna throw in for this year for consideration

Luke Troxell (probably the biggest name out of this bunch)

J.J. Killebrew

Nick Paden

Tyer Kaelin

Corey McCall

Trever Ford

Brendan Darrow

Daniel Theunamen(Spelling??) and Pat Banks are the first two that pop up for me. Some others are Andrew Cooper, Josh Cooper, Tony Perry, Carr( Small one from union), Ben Hines, Kid from South Oldham that lost to Hagerdorn in a great match. All great wrestlers.

Thuenerman could be the best wrestler never to make it to the finals.

He went to state 6 years in a row.

Soph. lost to Derek Scott the eventual state champ in the Semi's 6-3. Went on to place 3rd

Jr. Lost to Joe Powers the eventual state champ in the Semi's (Thuenerman had beat him 3 times during the season) Went on to place 3rd.

Sr. Lost to Harrison Courtney in OT. Thuenerman was going for what looked like a no doubt takedown and Courntney threw a desperation lateral and caught Thuenerman for the OT Takedown/Pin. He went on to place 3rd again.

There was a huge list of guys from Fort Campbell one time we talked about this. All 3 Johnson brothers were brought up. I also like to bring up Zach Rhinestine who was the only heavyweight to give Anthony Bailey a match their senior year, and would always wupp Houston Croney who went on to place 2nd after Rhinestine graduated.

Daniel Theunamen(Spelling??) and Pat Banks are the first two that pop up for me. Some others are Andrew Cooper, Josh Cooper, Tony Perry, Carr( Small one from union), Ben Hines, Kid from South Oldham that lost to Hagerdorn in a great match. All great wrestlers.

Daniel Thueneman is the first name that came to my head. He placed 3rd, what like 4 times in a row? He was also my first ever state match at my first year I qualified for the state tourney. Cody Walls (3rd, 3 years in a row) Adam Carr (aaron's older brother, lost twice in finals to Sullivan). Jason Walls (runner up, high school all american at senior nationals, 6th place).

Daniel Thueneman is the first name that came to my head. He placed 3rd, what like 4 times in a row? He was also my first ever state match at my first year I qualified for the state tourney. Cody Walls (3rd, 3 years in a row) Adam Carr (aaron's older brother, lost twice in finals to Sullivan). Jason Walls (runner up, high school all american at senior nationals, 6th place).

I forgot to add Jason walls.

Banks had worked Mitch Ervin the previous times they wrestled (major and by pin if I recall correctly). Then in the finals Ervin straight up controlled the whole match.

Do you mean the year before? I believe Mitch was undefeated his senior year. His closest match of the season in the quarter finals of state.

Anthony Smith Christian County. One of the most accomplished and dominant lower weights to never win.

Drew Carman almost lost to him in the 98 finals but pulled a sick last second roll to get 2. Smith was upset the next year in the semis by a youngin by the name of Issac Knable ( I thought AS was better that year but he had a tendency to stall in the 3rd period, refs knew it and he got DQ'd for stalling in that Knable match....in OT I think).

His brother was a stud too.