cmccoy

Interesting Article on Possible Middle School Athletics Regualtions

Honestly hope they do not ban middle schoolers it is one of the things that makes Ky original and helps kids become the best they can be perhaps something making sure a middle school kid doesn't get his head tore off wrestling a big Sr would be smart but barring them would take some of the excitement out of ky I know other states keep an eye on it because they feel it gives ky an edge and it does

• Upvote 1

Honestly hope they do not ban middle schoolers it is one of the things that makes Ky original and helps kids become the best they can be perhaps something making sure a middle school kid doesn't get his head tore off wrestling a big Sr would be smart but barring them would take some of the excitement out of ky I know other states keep an eye on it because they feel it gives ky an edge and it does

Gotta say that I agree with you on this one Mpire. Some teams have middle school wrestlers on their team just to have a full line up and to take away middle school wrestlers would create all those holes in a line up.

Interesting nothing was said about basketball. I remember when I was in Middle School we had a kid who had significantly playing time for the high school basketball team as a 7th and 8th grader.

no, everything is decided at the district/county level. I dont think there will ever be a middle school association for a couple of reasons

#1 money- the state isnt going to spend roughly 500k or more a year to run an association, money is just too tight

#2 basketball- this is still unfortanly a basketball state and jr high/middle school players are still helping a lot of rosters outside Jefferson County especially in girls bb

#3 Jefferson County - they have been trying to get a middle school athletic organization in JCPS for years and its kinda been a flop and its sad because there is an ex wrestling coach that is getting paid to be the JCPS director of middle school athletics. They are more worried about the super gym they built out on Dixie hwy.

I believe if you cut middle school student athletes out of high school wrestling, there will be a noticable regression in the competition. I understand about safety, but if the wrestler can hold their own and their parents agree with them competiting at a higher level, then it should be fine. There is also the point of not being able to fill full teams. Sure some kids will take some lumps if they start as a 7th grader, but by the time they are a frosh or soph, they'll be the ones dominating. I'm going to go with the old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

This should be interesting ....

This not only will affect basketball and wrestling, but cross country and track -- two other sports that have long used middle schoolers on the varsity level.