Sign in to follow this  
MR NKY 3x

STATE CHAMPS WEIGHTS

Don't get grappler's head too big. In all reality, 17 events is a huge number. With the season beginning at Thanksgiving and finishing the first weekend in Feb you can go every weekend as well as get a weekday dual in most every week if you want.

I think dual tournaments are the best way to go for a young team. It will ensure the most mat time for each wrestler regardless of experience or talent level. I mostly go with dual tournaments or even just a Saturday 6-way and sprinkle in a few invitationals. The kids still have to get used to that format because obviously they need it come postseason. Looking at our schedule this year, if a kid wrestles in every competition, they will be guaranteed 49 matches before regionals even if they go 2 and out at the invitationals and that's with only 15 events currently scheduled (We have 6 dual tournaments / 6-ways currently scheduled and I'm looking to add another). I know they won't wrestle every time and forfeits will account for some of those, but still, that's a large number of potential guaranteed matches and valuable mat time gained. In Kentucky, it's not out of the question to see a kid potentially have 60+ matches heading into state.

Best format I saw all year was Lafeyette's Five Star tournament. Half duals, half individual. Made for an interesting day.

I do think that teams should be allowed an extra match or two (in addition to the 17) scheduled during the week, at night, for a two or three way dual. The students never get to see the wrestlers because they aren't going to give up all day Saturday to sit at a tournament, even a home meet. This way, more casual fans get to see a quick match or two, or extended family can see a match without giving up a whole day. Most other high school sports schedule to attract fans, particuarly students.

Richard Starks " 03 " 2nd @ 171

" 04 " 1st @ 171

" 05 " 1st @ 189

" 06 " 1st @ 189

Starks, good one. One of the kids who changed my opinion of Woodford Co.'s program.

When did the scratch rule change? I remember my Junior year our starter at 135 didn't get to wrestle at Regionals because he never made scratch weight only the 2 pound allowance, and he couldn't beat our starter at 140.

Looks like 195 maybe the next lowest weight for state for Austin,Only a fool would make a prediction for a state title at that weight for a fresh but I expect him on the podium with the weight allowance 182 is possible but he's the truck so so is 220.

126 is possible for Stephen but he has little man syndrome so anywhere from 32 to 60.

Nice tourny in Dec early for the football players but it won't make a difference .

182 or 195 for Austin he certified lower but doesnt have time guess hes fat LOL the KY fat test is a joke and the lower weight kids get robbed while the bigger kids get accepted to drop lower than they should but would never have the time to make their weight with the weekly allowance drops ,WOW .

why even have a test ..................

LOL the KY fat test is a joke and the lower weight kids get robbed while the bigger kids get accepted to drop lower than they should but would never have the time to make their weight with the weekly allowance drops ,WOW .

why even have a test ..................

Ah duh, it's a national test not Kentucky's

Someone needs a lesson in the Fat Test. The fat test determines how much body fat a kid has. After that is determined then it calculates what a wrestler would weigh if he had 7% body fat.

It makes sense that a big kid with a lot of body fat could drop maybe 50lbs, and a smaller only maybe 15. The test then calculates how much a wrestler can lose each day 1.5% of their body fat a week. If a kid weighs 300lbs he probably would be 180 at 7% but he would not reach that goal until August.

Ky uses the most strict form of the body test. After each weigh in the weight is re-calculated for their decent plan. I know Ohio does not use this method. You have to remember this is for the saftey of the kids. You have to look at this program not as a wrestler.

It's not like back in my days where I probably only had about 5% body fat and almost killed myself making the wt. This whole program is for the safety of the kids. Like it or not it is here to stay, and I for one think it is a good thing.

The decent plan was never in question and well understood ,although it is a mistake as well ,if a kid is dropping to 112 and startrs out at 119 then he has to wrestle 119 slowly weighing less each week untill he reaches his weight on the decent plan ,its totally raunchy because most of the kids he may be wrestling will be 119 all year so they can weigh well over 119 then drop to 119 every week while the person decending has to be less than 119 on his way to 112 ,Its BAD BAD BAD and unfair to someone dropping ,who would want to give up the weight and energy ......no one ,,,,

As for the bodyfat test in ky as i said its a joke and i understand a heavyweight can drop more, what i was saying is that that little ignorant handheld device that is getting used by lasy uneducated people will say that a heavier person actually has more bodyfat than they actually do and a lighter person will have less than they actually do because there is no way in He!! that a little handheld device that supposedly shoots some magical beam through your hand can tell what the frig your bodyfat is its stupid and im surprised there is anyone uneducated enough to believe its accurate ,.....

and trust me i know quite a bit about bodyfat and bodyfat testing i was watching mine and reading peoples bodyfat way before it was mandatory in wrestling...........

The bodyfart test said one of my boys could go as low as 162 ,pretty cool considering hes a nationally ranked freshman at 195 ,no way he could get under 175 and be over 7 % its ridiculously inaccurate ,and it says another kid who certified at 112 .6 last year can only go 138 and hes only about 20 lbs heavier yeah right ignorance all around im shocked at ky for allowing this kind of crap.

You don't have to use the hand held device. You can use a calliper if you want. That is up to who you have do the fat test. The hand held device is just fast and easy to use. I would recomend using the hand held device to see what is says then use the calliper if needed afterwards.

SuperS1 .

Regardless of your bragging Stephan is as good as you say he is. So why would he drop 20 lbs. ? or even be interested in going any lower ? And the fat test is crap. Just curious because he is that good.

Because he is in football shape not wrestling and when you wrestle on a national level you make your wrestling weight ,in other words no one in the state can wrestle well at as many weights as he could but that will not matter at a tournament like Fargo .

Thanks it will be taken care of shortly ,they are enjoying watching all the matches at Iron Man and tearing up our house wrestling with each other and our little one .kind of fun ,wish they could wrestle for their own team or a high school that doesnt even have a team and we could avoid drama and bs .they have done it before on their own and walked away state champ and runner up they could do it again .maybe better,