Sign in to follow this  
underhooks123

State venue

I love the dungeon. But I want to revisit this issue. Where would be the likely landing of the state tournament next season? I suggested early the YUM Center. But what about Freedom Hall? I love Frankfort/Lexington area, but I personally feel it is time to make the tournament centrally located for everyone.

Opinions?

I think the dungeon is a great place.  If it is going to move, I like the idea of it moving around the state.  Every region could have a chance at a little home field advantage.

I think the dungeon is a great place.  If it is going to move, I like the idea of it moving around the state.  Every region could have a chance at a little home field advantage.

3 year contracts for Western, Northern, Middle and Eastern parts of the state would make the most sense. 

The Horse Park would be a great place to change it to.  Lexington is located right in the middle of the state and has many great options for dinning and hotels.  I think Frankfort was a huge step up from Atherton, but it is still subpar.

with the change in start time on thursday, I think a venue like the horsepark with the ability to put more mats down is important.  And yes that option is real as Frankfort is becoming less willing to work with wrestling

Don't know specifics but apparently wrestling was a big reason along with the biggest reason being the equestrian games that the new building at the horse park was built. It was extremely close to moving to owensboro (the center being the venue, and most people staying at this one big hotel until that main hotel closed) and switching back and forth with frankfort before this new building was built.

The Frankfort Convention Center was the worst venue I've ever seen for a state finals. 

Louisville is centrally located.  More schools are closer to the Ville than any other city in the state.  Population centers are what matters, not geography.

with them squeezing it into 2 and a half days this year on 4 mats.  They could do it in 2 days on 6 if the main floor is bigger than the dudgeon.

I keep hearing people talking about using a bigger location and finishing the tournament in two days.  People, the KHSAA doesn't want to make it any faster.  The setup for the tournament is about maximizing revenue, not finishing quickly.  Also, with an attendance of 4,300 or so, Freedom Hall or any larger facility would look empty.  We don't have the attendance to move anywhere larger.

IMO if you want wrestling to be treated as a 1st class sport, the state championships need to be held in a 1st class venue.  The convention center is NOT a 1st class venue. 

As far as the crowds....."if you build it, they will come"

Pridewrestler, it's not a done deal. I've talked with members from the KHSAA, and they are looking into 2 possibilities for next year: Horse Park in Lexington, and i think they said one of the arenas in NKU (can't remember the name). 2 members of the Coach's Association are going with them to look at the logistics. Also, the tournament will remain 3 days. that has never been up for discussion.

Pridewrestler, it's not a done deal. I've talked with members from the KHSAA, and they are looking into 2 possibilities for next year: Horse Park in Lexington, and i think they said one of the arenas in NKU (can't remember the name). 2 members of the Coach's Association are going with them to look at the logistics. Also, the tournament will remain 3 days. that has never been up for discussion.

So Frankfort is not even an option for next year?

I just heard what I put on here this weekend at the state tournament. Knew they were wanting to change the venue and forgot about them doing it until someone mentioned it again this weekend. He is right about NKU, but pretty sure the horse park is the destination they will most likely switch to.

There are issues with the venue.  Floor is too small for even 4 mats now that they have put in the rails, fans should not have to walk on competition floor to get their seats, no adequate warm up area for competitors, logistically not a suitable location, etc., etc., etc.    I have no issue with the 3 days and think the closeness of the fans make it a great atmosphere (but there is a difference between close to the competition and too close).  Saturday night is better every year.  I have been to a couple other state tournaments and nothing compares.  That is something we have to make sure is perserved and continues!  The Horse Park does sound like an interesting idea and it is centrally located...

I just love the way everyone from the Louisville area seems to think it is "centrally located"!  It is centrally located for the Louisville for the Louisville schools!  I wouldn't be against it being in northern KY.  That would be a change! (BTW I don't live in NKY!)

I understand the reasons to change the location. I just hope the people that make the decision think it all the way through. The atmosphere at the tournament has helped get a lot of young kids interested in the sport. I remember when my son was one of those goofy kids running around painted up in his school colors and saturday night he was wrestling in the finals. Change is good lets just make sure we are heading in the right direction.

When and if the tournament changes venue, the atmosphere will change as well. If the tournament is moved, I can guarantee you the pre final free for all will not be tolerated. Upon leaving the civic center i noticed paint all over the floor and walls and trash was ever where. I am also surprised no one was injured. Kids running around unsupervised pushing shoving and taunting other schools just waiting for a confrontation. I am shocked that the civic center has put up with this type of behavior for as long as they have.

Here's what I've been hearing over the last couple of weeks:

-- The contract with the Convention Center is apparently up after this year. Frankfort, more or less, might be out of the running.

-- They are looking at two venues: The Horse Park's new indoor arena in Lexington, and Northern Kentucky University's new basketball arena. Each building has floor space to hold six or more mats, which would shorten the time you guys are competing and having to watch your weight.

-- Switching from three days to two has been discussed. I've talked with Coach Canter, who's one of the coaches' association reps checking out the new venues, and he said it's probably a good possibility state will go to two days. The only drawback that I can think of is your hotel/restaurants aren't going to be right next door to the place.

Louisville IS NOT centrally located to everyone, no matter the population. The Frankfort/Lexington/Richmond area is more centrally located than anywhere else in the state. The Yum Center would be way too expensive, and Freedom Hall is too big -- even if they put curtains in area where fans won't be allowed to sit.

The atmosphere at Frankfort is what a lot of people love most. You most likely won't get that anywhere else.