Sign in to follow this  
ManBearPig

Mark Hall

This kid is a stud.  We all know that.  Yet if what is being said is true there are some real moral issues with the family for doing this IMO.  I say this because he has been held back once already if I am correct.  Does anyone know the details to this story.  Anyway, it is good to see Mark is doing well and healthy he has such poise for his age.

This kid is going to be winning olympic gold medals in the fuure.  Everyone in KY should be praising this kid for including you on his upward move to greatness.  Why even try to think what is morally right for this him if you don't walk in his shoes.  This is the number one middle school kid in the country and he is knocking off Nationally ranked kids one by one.  A kid like this only comes around once in a blue moon.  Quit hating on the kid and his dad for wanting more for him.  If you had a phenom kid you would do the best you can for him or her.  Leave the morals out of it.  When was the last time you walked on water.  Never.....remember that.   

HA!  Yeah, if I had held my kid back 2 years, he'd be dominating middle school tournaments right now!  But that is not what is right, or good for him.

What does the Olympics have to do with holding him back in middle school?  There is no money in a future in wrestling.  He might make a little money in the UFC one day.  It might be different if he had a multi-million dollar contract waiting for him in football or basketball.  If he is so great (which he is) why hold him back?  The only thing it does is make him 19 years old when he is a senior so he dominates because he will be a man and the other wrestlers are boys.

It appears in his family, the child runs the family.  Moving him to other states where the rules are different, holding him back in school for athletic reasons rather than academic reason, etc.?  That teaches the kid that he is the most important member of the family.  And if he is being held back for academic reasons, maybe he should spend more time studying rather than travelling around and wrestling.

Also, kids that are great at 13 are not necessarily great at 17.  I knew kids in middle school that dominated and then were very average once they got to high school.  Some kids are more developed than others at an earlier age.  I hope he does make the Olympics and wins gold medals.  But don't be surprised if other kids catch up.  Well, maybe not.  He may be 21 in 12th grade, if they can find a state that will let him compete at 21 years of age.

This kid is going to be winning olympic gold medals in the fuure.  Everyone in KY should be praising this kid for including you on his upward move to greatness.  Why even try to think what is morally right for this him if you don't walk in his shoes.  This is the number one middle school kid in the country and he is knocking off Nationally ranked kids one by one.  A kid like this only comes around once in a blue moon.  Quit hating on the kid and his dad for wanting more for him.  If you had a phenom kid you would do the best you can for him or her.  Leave the morals out of it.  When was the last time you walked on water.  Never.....remember that. 

I was not "hating" on Mark Hall nor his father.  However simply stating the fact that holding a kid back for athletic reasons is wrong (once again I am not claiming to know the whole story hence my asking of confirmation).  Also I would not ever take away any of the accomplishments he has already achieved.  The kid is most certainly a prodigy.  Yet it is a bit concerning about what is going to happen in this kids life if these "rumors" are in fact correct.  Bottom line is it would be wrong on a few levels. 

What was the last middle school tourney that he was in?  How about the last high school tournament?  Try watching him wrestle and maybe if you could, you might want to do what he is doing.  Go after kids who are supposed to be better than you.  He is wrestling the best of the best HS kids in the country, not middle school kids.  He is the #1 ranked wrestler of middle school age kids that are kicking the snot out of premier/elite HS kids.  Myron did beat him last year.  He should be commended for a great year.  I am not building Mark up to be something that he is not.  What he is, is a great kid that has the ability and the drive to be great and to do special things.  What I did say is that before you question someone Else's morals and how to do things....make sure yours don't need improving first.  Hey, if he doesn't pan out in wrestling that's ok. 

Notfromhere - you sound as though you are ok with it if it was in another sport (football or basketball).  Why would a kid have to do what he and his family are doing only to expect a big money deal?  Can I say.....double standard.  People who wrestle, coach wrestling, officiate wrestling and are fans of wrestling are in it because they enjoy it and it's not just for the money. 

You just killed your own point..... :-D     

Everyone has there own opinion on what is right for their own kids and can express what you think is right for someone else's kids, but I promise you this........They are going to do what they think is right for that kid no matter what anyone else thinks or says.  Right or Wrong, it is just an opinion if it is within the rules. 

Leave the morals out of it.  When was the last time you walked on water.  Never.....remember that. 

If you are going to "leave morals out of it", you should entertain the idea of dropping the coach part of your member name. Giving you the benefit of doubt of reading previous post, I think you may have been over zealous in wanting to defend a kid and his father that don't need defending.

If there's an issue here, it is with academics and not wrestling. It would be a shame if he were unable to qualify academically and colleges were throwing scholarships at him. Even more troubling for us is that KY standards for a 7th grader are not equal to Minnesota's.

I'm not going to pretend to know the full story but Mark Hall is being put through every trick in the book to be a good wrestler. I've heard it straight from a trusted source's mouth that the ONLY reason they moved to Kentucky was so Mark could become the first ever 6 time state champion. Mark is a once in a lifetime kind of talent and I can see him winning multiple national championships. But what bugs me is that fact that if he was held back for atheletic reasons there was no need to, he was already beating nationally ranked seniors, and if the rumors turn out to be true it shows just how greedy that family is for success

Well, I suppode I might as well throw my two cents worth in on this topic. Let me start by saying what my opinion on this whole matter is. Firstly, I don't agree on what his happening here. The fact that the Halls relocated to Ky last year was fine with me. The problem I had with the whole situation was when they move back to Michigan immediately following the State Tournament last year and expected( or so I think anyway) to repeat the whole process again this year. This was my only problem with the whole situation. I don't care that the kid was held back.

Even though I don't happen to agree on the whole thing, I think all of you who have made statements like " this is not whats best for the kid" or" the kid runs that family" and so on have no wright to judge. Probably none of you know these people personally and have spoken to this kid or heard the words out of his mouth that he don't want to move or be held back or any thing of the sort. Don't judge what you don't know all the facts about people!                                                                                                          If my son lived and breathed wrestling like this kid obviously does, I would provide every opportunity for him that my means would allow. Until you are in someone Else's shoes don't pass judgement. For those of you who keep commenting about dominating Middle School tournaments, as KYCOACH pointed out, this kid is beating Nationally ranked high school kids.                                    NOTFROMHERE, you said there is no money to be made in wrestling. This is an ignorant statement. I would venture to say that a certain high school coach in OHIO has built a fortune (probably a millionare at this point) doing what he loves. This kid  has the potential to be one of the best wrestlers ever in the United States. Maybe to the level of Dan gable or Cale Sanderson. The potential I said, still remains to be seen how it plays out, but you don't think these men have made a very comfortable living off the sport of wrestking?

"you should entertain the idea of dropping the coach part of your member name"  Tiltfor3, I should do that because you say so.  Let me think about that one.  No thanks.     

Tiltfor3  - You're right, they don't need defending because the Hall family is going to do what is right for themselves and their child.  My opinion, not being over zeaouls.  That's why we are on here.   

refdad  - I would second your motion....If my child lived and breathed wrestling or any other sport, I would do everything in my power and my means to give him or her the best training and opportunity to succeed as possible.  That "Ohio Coach" is doing just fine isn't he?  He also, brings in the best transfers in the country.  Shocking that they will probably be National Champions this year.

It is truly amazing to me how little most people in our state really know about the sport of wrestling. Any time a kid and or family is truly committed to being great others want to complain about them being "obsessed" or " going too far" and so on. Everybody claims the want to be a state champion but VERY VERY few are willing to do what it takes to achieve that goal. I am amazed at Mark Halls ability at this age and can only wish my kids were half that committed. 

And yes, as far as the "The" Ohio coach goes, he has built an empire out of plain ole hard nose drilling and out working everybody else and I think is the best wrestling coach in our country

I bet if Mark Hall sucked nobody would care if he got held back 10 times. Misery loves company an all you all hating on him need to quit trying to bring down a KID. I mean hes 13 years old and you got "adults" on her trying to judge his morals an tell him whats right an wrong an I bet none of you have ever even meet him to try to judge his morals. Stop hating an enjoy what the kid is doing because somebody like this only comes around once in awhile an it would be a shame to miss it cause your bashing him.

I don't see why they would sacrifice academics for wrestling when Mark Hall has already proven he is far beyond most nationally ranked wrestlers. He wrestled one of the best at his weight and made him look like a JV kid, I was in awe. If he was to wrestle that state finals match again he would destroy Bradbury. Again my issue with Mark Hall is that his dad is doing these things that some may consider cheating not to improve Mark, but just to get even more achievements. This is the opinon i've drawn and I hope im wrong

So FCHS your saying that moving to kentucky, traving around the United States, entering him in the best possible competition year in and year out, enrolling him in what most believe is the best high school wrestling program in the country, and wrestling him aginst HS national ranked oppents is done so he can get achievments an not improve his son? In my opinon if I wanted my kid to get achievments I would have keep him in kentucky where he would most likely have been a 6 time state champion instead of moving him to one of the best wrestling states out there.