Sign in to follow this  
underhooks123

National Rankings

For those too lazy to look up all the indivuduals, here are the KY guys on the list:

Seniors

#7 @ 145 Caleb Ervin

Spec Mention @ 160 Connor Coyle

Spec Mention @ 160 John Lampe

Spec Mention @ 215 Brandon Barnett

Juniors

Spec Mention @ 103 Garth Yenter

Spec Mention @ 119 T.J. Ruschell

#9 @ 125 John Fahy

#16 @ 160 JJ Jude

Spec Mention @ 189 Bernard Ray

Spec Mention @ 215 Brendan Darrow

Fresh/Soph

#25 @ 103 Brock Ervin

Spec Mention @ 125 Sean Fausz

#13 @ 130 Jayce Carr

#25 @ 130 Josh Lopez

Spec Mention @ 130 Caleb Canter

#17 @ 135 Kevin Cooper

#27 @ 215 Darien Wolnitzek

I suppose they do not include 8th grade wrestlers in the All-Class or Fresh/Soph rankings.  Otherwise, a certain 8th grader (Mark Hall) might slip in...although I'm not sure if he would show he was ranked "from" Kentucky (where he wrestled high school last year) or Michigan.  And, pretty sure when he IS ranked as a Freshman, it will be in Michigan.

I suppose they do not include 8th grade wrestlers in the All-Class or Fresh/Soph rankings.  Otherwise, a certain 8th grader (Mark Hall) might slip in...although I'm not sure if he would show he was ranked "from" Kentucky (where he wrestled high school last year) or Michigan.  And, pretty sure when he IS ranked as a Freshman, it will be in Michigan.

No exceptions, even for exceptional kids.  I believe he will be competing for Apple Valley Minnesota this season.  I'm not sure where he may end up next season and the years beyond.

No offense intended to Davison, but if he has the opportunity to go to Apple Valley he should take it.  Great program.  If Mark's goal is to wrestle D-1 and eventually on a national and international level, Apple Valley is a good choice.  Great coaches and tough competition.

Wrestling Dad - Ever heard of a guy named Brent Metcalf? He went to Davidson. So did Paul Donahoe (NCAA champ). And Reader from Iowa...... And Perry from Indiana. Roy Hall is on the same level as Jordan and Buxton(Blair Academy) for coaches. Both programs are at the level to compete for national titles, but i would be willing to bet Mark ends up back at home. Mark Sr. claims the group of middle schoolers coming up at Davidson will be the best class they have ever had. After being in the room with some of those kids, I'd say he might be right.

Wrestling Dad - Ever heard of a guy named Brent Metcalf? He went to Davidson. So did Paul Donahoe (NCAA champ). And Reader from Iowa...... And Perry from Indiana. Roy Hall is on the same level as Jordan and Buxton(Blair Academy) for coaches. Both programs are at the level to compete for national titles, but i would be willing to bet Mark ends up back at home. Mark Sr. claims the group of middle schoolers coming up at Davidson will be the best class they have ever had. After being in the room with some of those kids, I'd say he might be right.

The last poll I saw showed Apple Valley ranked #1 nationally, ahead of Blair, Paris Graham, etc.  However, sounds like you have a personal connection to the Davidson program.  If their kids coming up are that good, and Mark can be seriously pushed and challenged every day in the wrestling room, then you have an excellent point.  My oldest son was a Missouri state champion, who had to work his tail off every day in practice and barely won challenge matches to keep his varsity spot.  That team won a lot of team championships for that very reason. 

If I have one concern, it's the perception this all creates that Mark can shop his talents around.  If this is really "home" for Mark, he should stay there.  Just my personal opinion.

Ok, i read my last post and maybe I was too big of a smart A$$. I don't have any connection to Davidson, I have just seen some of these younger kids wrestle in person. My point was that Davidson is on the same level as Apple Valley. (no, not this year) And since Hall has lived there his whole life (errrr.....except for three months last year) then he will likely return there. You never know though, his dad my forgo the rest of his high school career and have him wrestle only college opens.  :-)

I do agree with you about shopping his talents around. But there isn't anything the schools can do about it. If he establishes legal residency, then they couldn't prevent him from wrestling if they wanted to.

The states can do something if they see a pattern.  Just because you establish residence in a town does not make you eligible if the Board sees that you are moving for sports motives. With that being said, I think once he gets settled somewhere the issue will settle itself. I hope he decides to stay at home and wrestle with his friends that he has grown up with his whole life. Nothing better than winning championships with the guys that push you the hardest.

The states can do something if they see a pattern.  Just because you establish residence in a town does not make you eligible if the Board sees that you are moving for sports motives. With that being said, I think once he gets settled somewhere the issue will settle itself. I hope he decides to stay at home and wrestle with his friends that he has grown up with his whole life. Nothing better than winning championships with the guys that push you the hardest.

I completely agree with you.  If you can take that group of kids, who likely came up together through youth wrestling, and win some high school state team championships together, that can be very special.  Well said.