Sign in to follow this  
Nathaniel Bryan

Middle Schoolers banned from varsity for Jefferson Co Public Schools?

After reading all the post I agree with most as to why they MS kids are needed and that some are very capable.

I think the point I am trying to make is why arent we getting more HS aged kids to participate to fill out the rosters, not just in wrestling but in all sports. How can the schools develop incentives for kids to participate in hs sports. We know that sports are crucial to the development of kids, to keep them active and out of trouble.  How can we motivate kids to stay involved? I thought the idea of academic credits could be one incentive to offer. How about varsity practice to be last period of the day for all varsity participants as Phys Ed so they dont practice so late into the night. What else could be developed to make it more beneficial to kids to be involved in school sports? Free tickets to varsity events, dances etc....? Any other ideas?

You are on to something.  I was talking to someone at a football game tonight about how so many kids that have been involved in sports, particularly wrestling, get to high school and decide they want to sit at home on their butts or hang out with girls or buddies rather than participate in a sport.  I think you have provided 2 very good incentives, credits and PE class as practice during the final hour of the school day.  I know some schools require so many seasons of sports for graduation.  I don't recall the number exactly, but I think KCD required 3 or 4 when I coached there.

Practicing the last period of the day has many disadvantages.

1.  Limits practice to only 1 hour (What team only practices 1 hour a day)

2.  If you get them home earlier then the idea of keeping them out of trouble is a moot point.  (I know Jr gets out of practice already at about 5, b/c he starts at 2:30.

3.  Limits the coaches to be teachers at that school.  How many coaches are either paraprofessionals or teach at a different school in the district or actually teach in another school district.

4.  All coaches would have to be certified teachers if they are giving a credit for it.

5.  If it is a class will the kid who sits the bench still get full credit, and then the parents have more ammunition for complaining that their BABY is not getting enough playing time.

Sorry I'm not a fan of connecting sports to academics.

But

This is just the opinion of GOO

GOO out.

Practicing the last period of the day has many disadvantages.

1.  Limits practice to only 1 hour (What team only practices 1 hour a day) No reason to limit practice length, but the sooner they get started, the sooner they get finished.

2.  If you get them home earlier then the idea of keeping them out of trouble is a moot point.  (I know Jr gets out of practice already at about 5, b/c he starts at 2:30. Hopefully they will be to tired to get in trouble, thats a tough one to be sure of but being involved in sports certainly helps.

3.  Limits the coaches to be teachers at that school.  How many coaches are either paraprofessionals or teach at a different school in the district or actually teach in another school district. Certified teachers as coaches would be a great improvement, no offense against all the non certified hard working coaches spending their time to coach but I think they would even agree, the head coach being a certified teacher would be very helpful!

4.  All coaches would have to be certified teachers if they are giving a credit for it. see above

5.  If it is a class will the kid who sits the bench still get full credit, and then the parents have more ammunition for complaining that their BABY is not getting enough playing time.  Absolutely, if the coach says they are worthy of being on the varsity and they put in the work and pass the curriculum, why shouldnt they get a credit.

This worked extrememly well in Indiana, back in the day, not sure if they still operate this way or not, would be interesting to hear from someone in the hoosier state. Regardless we need to find ways to get more kids participating at the high school level. 

I would say that 90% of the students that quit playing sports involves drugs and alchohol.  Just ask the students that know them. :|

Ranger - Your theory sounds sadly plausible.  If you are right (and I hope not), then I don't think middle school participation would keep it from happenning.  Wrestling overall is growing as we see by some new schools starting programs.  So the key has to be to retain kids from middle school and youth clubs as they go through high school.  My experience with wrestling is limited, but in other sports I have seen everything that has been mentioned here; laziness, drugs, time issues, lack of parental support, etc.  I also wonder if the proximity to the end of football season doesn't cost us a few good athletes a year as well.  They may just want a break before jumping into another physically demanding season.

One thing I have seen with my son's school wrestling team is a few kids quit when there are a couple of dominant wrestlers at their weight or at nearby classes, so they have no hope of reaching varsity. I know we lost at least one this year, and another from middle school isn't going to continue because he doesn't think he can compete.  It is easy to say they should work harder or they don't belong anyway, but with only one varsity spot, it is hard to attract good depth.  Don't know if there is an answer to that.

If retention is an issue that may effect the viability of programs, it is something we need to look into further.  Is there a coaches association that could survey students (through the high school coaches, or even survey the coaches themselves)?  Some issues are fixable, some aren't, but it may give us a handle on what we can do.

DBW - I agree that middle school participation is NOT the long term solution.  But it does help fill out a varsity lineup and often hooks a kid.  In my experience, you very seldom see a kid who participated at the varsity level as a middle schooler quit during high school.  They get that taste and stick with it.  I'm afraid lack of a full lineup could be used as an argument to ax a program.  And eliminating the middle schoolers cuts down on the numbers.

There is no real solution to attracting good depth.  This generation of kids is extremely weak minded and they are learning it from the previous generation.  If they don't get what they want handed to them they whine, cry, complain, and/or quit.  They have learned to get what they want "the easy way" by hand outs or taking it from others rather than earning it through hard work.  Everyone is a victim and expects to be babied.

Ranger - Agreed.  They are what we have made them.

It would be interesting to know how many Jefferson Co. schools are not going to be able to field full teams this year.  Any JeffCo. coaches out there?

Ranger - Agreed.  They are what we have made them.

It would be interesting to know how many Jefferson Co. schools are not going to be able to field full teams this year.  Any JeffCo. coaches out there?

No, it will be more interesting to get a number count of kids that no longer wrestle because THERE MIDDLE SCHOOL DOESN'T HAVE A PROGRAM, MATS, COACH ECT.. JCS your option even though you thought it would help middle school programs grow will ONLY bring to an end the small sports teams for both boys and girls.

This topic has morphed a little into how to motivate kids to stay in sports.

Here is my two cents worth.

1.  Parents, Parents, Parents.  It is important that parents support their child's interest in extracurricular activities.  I'm not one who believes the school should force kids to participate, but I believe the parents should greatly incourage their children to participate in extracurricular activities.  (Schools already have to act as parents to much)

2.  And this may be just important.  Coaches have to stop trying to make student/athletes into one sport wonders.  Way to many coaches expect their players to play their sport and only their sport.  Kids are being told that they need to spend all of their spare time working on that one sport, wether it be wrestling, Football, basketball, baseball or soccer.  If coaches would encourage their athletes to participate in at least one more sport then participation levels would rise dramatical. 

3.  Coaches and parents need to allow their children to be kids.  Don't push them 12 months a year to participate in a sport.  They need a time off.  Some kids may not want that time off but allow the kids to make that decision, not the coach or parent.

I have encourages GOO Jr. to participate in sports, but never forced him into them.

To this date he has decided on his own to:

played basketball 2nd through 6th grade,

Baseball kindergarden through 9th grade,

ran track 8th grade,

Football 7th through 10 grade and

wrestling from 4th grade to 10th grade.

He also took up golf in his free time (last 2 years.)

This is the opinion of GOO and only GOO

GOO out.

I don't think it will affect the Jefferson County School from fielding a FULL team, but it will lower the numbers for sure.  There weren't many full squads in Jefferson County to begin with.  I can think of maybe 5 and don't think those will really be affected from the middle school kids, but the ones that had maybe 10 weight classes filled will probably be the ones that will lose some kids and then go down to maybe 7 or  weight classes. 

No, it will be more interesting to get a number count of kids that no longer wrestle because THERE MIDDLE SCHOOL DOESN'T HAVE A PROGRAM, MATS, COACH ECT.. JCS your option even though you thought it would help middle school programs grow will ONLY bring to an end the small sports teams for both boys and girls.

I'm used to getting kids out during there 10th and 11th grade year If I got a middle schooler I wouldn't even know what to do with myself wrestling in middle school is very rare in jefferson county so the numbers wont go up or down there where maybe four kids in the county on Varsity at the county tourney so I don't think it will affect much. If they do start wrestling programs in the middle schools it will only help build kentucky wrestling. But like I said getting kids out so late and granted that Jeffersontown is in a smaller not as competitive region and we made state duals this year. Doesn't say much for the state in wrestling. What we need to do is make the sport more popular and run out all the coached that run off kids trying to relive there high school years. I completely agree with my old coach and the guy above him.