Sign in to follow this  
fireplug

STATE DUALS CANCELLED

The decision is being made on what MIGHT happen.  Adjustments can be make to delay the decision to see if it ACTUALLY happens. 

That was a bad decision to not cancel schools or at least delay them that day.  But this is a bit different as it's snow that's being called for not the sleet mix like that night was.  And no snow has fallen yet but the brine (here in louisville at least) has been put down already and I didn't see that on tuesday nite.  But you are right, zero injuries obviously are what is expected and are OK.

That's an easy one..ZERO

Those of us in JCPS recall the debacle of a few days ago.  School buses become hazardous when they are put on dark roads with frozen precipitation.  We had ten bus related accidents Tuesday morning here in Louisville, with several kids going to the hospital.  As much as I hate to see events cancelled, I wouldn't have been excited to transport other people's children around in any sort of inclement weather.  That's our burden as coaches, and ultimately that is the reason for the decision,  I would think.

Guys you don't seem to understand my previous posts.  The school districts told the teams that they were not allowed to travel.  They apparently are afraid of wrecks on the road, with many minors involved, that may cause injuries.  This was not a Henry Clay or Fayette County decision.  I agree there is no snow on the ground and if this were a tournament involving just teams around this area I'm sure we would still have the tournament.  However when you have more than half the teams cancel the Coaches Association decided that it was not worth having the tournament.

Believe me us HC coaches are more pissed than everyone else because we used this event to make a little money for our team.  However we understand the decision and accept it because there's nothing we can do about it.  Those of you continuing to criticize those involved in making the decision are wasting your time and energy.  However those who are suggesting that a rescheduling plan should be put in place I agree with you because this is a very important event for the top teams around the state.  Perhaps the date could be switched with another tournament earlier in the year to allow this.  But again that's not our (Henry Clay) call.

Any suggestions?

No kids, coaches or person getting are ok, I agree safety first but to have no back up plan or to say its not worth rescheduling and pulling out of a tournament like Conner duals or North Oldham, its far more important. The state duals are one of the biggest events of the year and gives the kids a chance to see other kids the haven't seen yet. The board or coaches need to revise the schedule and make this a priority like it should be and not something to shrug off.

No kids, coaches or person getting are ok, I agree safety first but to have no back up plan or to say its not worth rescheduling and pulling out of a tournament like Conner duals or North Oldham, its far more important. The state duals are one of the biggest events of the year and gives the kids a chance to see other kids the haven't seen yet. The board or coaches need to revise the schedule and make this a priority like it should be and not something to shrug off.

We have 29 teams coming to North oldham.  It's our only 'real' fundraiser, I sure hope we don't get cancelled.

Guys you don't seem to understand my previous posts.  The school districts told the teams that they were not allowed to travel.  They apparently are afraid of wrecks on the road, with many minors involved, that may cause injuries.  This was not a Henry Clay or Fayette County decision.  I agree there is no snow on the ground and if this were a tournament involving just teams around this area I'm sure we would still have the tournament.  However when you have more than half the teams cancel the Coaches Association decided that it was not worth having the tournament.

Believe me us HC coaches are more pissed than everyone else because we used this event to make a little money for our team.  However we understand the decision and accept it because there's nothing we can do about it.  Those of you continuing to criticize those involved in making the decision are wasting your time and energy.  However those who are suggesting that a rescheduling plan should be put in place I agree with you because this is a very important event for the top teams around the state.  Perhaps the date could be switched with another tournament earlier in the year to allow this.  But again that's not our (Henry Clay) call.

Any suggestions?

Here is an option:

Have the State Duals that Friday @ Frankfort and go back to having the State Championships a 16 man bracket on Saturday

The facility is already booked.

I agree completely.  However the worst part of this is several kids were probably going to drop a weight class and use the state duals to certify for it.  With no tournament they can't do this.  I recommend to those coaches getting on the phone and seeing if you can get into another tournament real quick so they can weigh-in.  :-/

Here is an option:

Have the State Duals that Friday @ Frankfort and go back to having the State Championships a 16 man bracket on Saturday

Too late in the year for that to happen.  The rules are already in place.

Too late in the year for that to happen.  The rules are already in place.

Maybe, something worth discussing with State Wrestling Commissioner and other coaches  :| this year at the state tournament. They could go back to the District, Region method like the middle school system did?

That would work and have a state tournament that you have to qualify to attend ie...win  not just show and automatic qualifiy in regions that only has 4 or 5 kids in a weigh class. Some regions have that as a problem.

Here is an option:

That would be a good idea but you need the state tournament to be 2 days if it is a 16 man tournament because of the 5 match rule.  My junior year I lost first round and wrestled back to sixth place.  Even though I lost the 5th place match I would have been denied the opportunity to compete.  A friend of mine lost first round and wrestled all the way back to 3rd, a great accomplishment in my mind.  You could do basically the same thing and have state duals on Thursday but that would involved re-instating districts.  I think this is a better format regardless but obviously the KHSAA feels otherwise.

This is a shitty situation all the way around.  One option would be to trade dates with a significant tournament and hold it earlier in the year but what team is going to give up their tournament?

Or we could say that every year, in the event that state duals are cancelled they will be conducted the weekend before regionals (next weekend).  I like this idea because most teams wrestle something light that weekend anyway.  This would give a "buffer" week that most teams, other than those hosting tournaments looking to make money, probably won't mind doing.  I like this idea the best.

This is the worst excuse I have ever heard.

The girls all A basketball tourney is still going on. No cancellations. I don't see  any of those teams leaving in a panic. For fear of snow.

I sure hope it doesn't snow before Region or the Individual State Tournament. Those kids won't be able to wrestle because their schools won't allow them to travel. I hope it snows a foot the day before both tournaments. That way, when we get to the State Tournament we will only have eight man brackets because half of the kids from half of the regions will be able to show up. Should make for an interesting 3 days of wrestling.

Let's grow up people. Use common sense on the roads, and drive properly. Or better yet leave the night before. If you can't, don't participate. We will see who is dedicated to the sport. 

Sunday is already booked for the youth state tournament.  Plus if you were competing how would you feel about wrestling in a 3-day state tournament where you were crowned state champ... then having to make weight the following day for state duals?

It's not a problem with the parents and/or students.  The school DISTRICTS made the decisions to cancel.  I think everyone involved with the teams have their hands tied.

The problem with doing state duels one day and rolling right into the state tournament is simple.  Wrestling 5 matches in one day is a grinder.  Do you try to rest some kids so they are in better shape to start the bracket tournament? Do you dodge kids because of your state bracket? What if a kid gets dinged up? Your chance to be a state champ could be hosed by a sprained ankle.  Teams not in the duels could have an advantage.

That would be a good idea but you need the state tournament to be 2 days if it is a 16 man tournament because of the 5 match rule. 

Stay late with one mat still down and anyone dealing with the 5 match rule waits till 00:01, 5 new matches for the day. If you don't want to stay late, GO HOME.

Every coach out there better call their district person and make sure come Regions that they will be able to travel. There are a lot of schools in northern/eastern kentucky that have a long haul.

1. class A bball has been in progress for 2 days.

2. can't cancel in the am

3. it snows every year on the last weekend of January

4. The KHSAA don't run the state duals

5. god is great

6.  beer is good

7.  people ARE stoopid 

I am pretty disappointed that state duals are not being held this weekend.  I think about all the kids and coaches and all the time and effort preparing for this thing.  I just want to comment about a post or two that has been made concerning the cancellation.

First, this decision was made by a few associated with the KWCA.  I say a select few because I know for a fact that not all the officers of the KWCA were consulted.  Henry Clay nor the Fayette schools made this decision.

Second, someone on here stated that this was made for the safety of the kids.  To that person, who is also a coach, come state tournament time, if there is going to be an inch and half of snow in Frankfort, are you not taking your team to Frankfort?  The safest thing to do would not go, after all, you need to think about the safety of your wrestlers don't you?  What if even one got hurt?  Why do I say and inch and half because that is all snow forecast in Lexington at this time.

Third, why make the call at all?  I would think that there are many pretty responsible folks at each school district that can make this call for their kids.  You know like superintendents, transportation directors, principals, etc. those who get paid to make that call.  I think they will do what is best for the kids of their own district and if they think it is ok for them to come and participate, let them.

You know the KWCA will be having a meeting right before the state tournament and I have the feeling that many coaches will be discussing the cancellation of this tournament. There was more discussion of cancelling the tournament last year when half the state had no electricity and ice covered not only the roads but everything in the state than was made this year. 

Just a thought, but since its not even done by KHSAA it seems we should be happy to have it in the first place and be thankful for them people who put all the time into it. It was cancelled and that sucks, but time to move on and get ready for state.

Sunday is already booked for the youth state tournament.  Plus if you were competing how would you feel about wrestling in a 3-day state tournament where you were crowned state champ... then having to make weight the following day for state duals?

I am reffering to THIS Sunday. The little bit of snow will be gone and the roads clear.

I don't have any kids involved, I do not coach. I am just a fan, but I feel sorry for those kids(Varsity/JV) that will not make Individual State Tournament, because they have a tough region/weight class, who were vital parts of the 16 teams that "qualified" for this tournament. This was their State Tournament. This was their chance to really contribute.

Sorry guys.