dinubus

Region 5 - Very Pre-Season

The bigger doesn't mean the better - look at the size of Region 3.  However, it would be nice to get more teams in Region 5. I wouldn't doubt that Ballard will get a coach again within the next couple of years (hopefully next year).  I also wouldn't doubt that Oldham County Schools will have an East Oldham H.S. within about 7 years.  Quite possibly Jefferson County will build new schools in that area.  Especially with possible changeover of student populations from private to public schools with the Economic issues currently at hand.  I don't think any real restructuring needs to take place.  Time will take care of the issue.

I don't know.  6 teams is pretty light.  And what are the chances that there are more than 4 in a weight class?  Region 6 had no brackets smaller than 7 and actually had a couple 9 man brackets.  And from what I hear that area could be adding a couple more teams in the near future.

And Region 3 had 16 man brackets, so I'm not sure of your point.  I was just saying that it will even back out.  If we suddenly change it all up right now, then ever couple of years or so there will be more change - is it really worth it?

And Region 3 had 16 man brackets, so I'm not sure of your point.  I was just saying that it will even back out.  If we suddenly change it all up right now, then ever couple of years or so there will be more change - is it really worth it?

At some point yes it is.  I'm not saying we have to have every region "equal" every year, but what if J-town drops?  Then you are down to 5 teams, which means in a number of weights all you have to do is make weight to go to state.  No way I'm for that.  That already happens way too much and I know it has happened in Region 5 a few times.  No way can you have that at the same time you have 8 to 10 guys battling it out in other regions.

At some point yes it is.  I'm not saying we have to have every region "equal" every year, but what if J-town drops?  Then you are down to 5 teams, which means in a number of weights all you have to do is make weight to go to state.  No way I'm for that.  That already happens way too much and I know it has happened in Region 5 a few times.  No way can you have that at the same time you have 8 to 10 guys battling it out in other regions.

I agree, Ranger. Bring on the competition.

I agree, Ranger. Bring on the competition.

I've argued before on competition, but this is beyond even competition.  It just isn't fair to have a region where kids just show up to qualify for state while others have to battle through a 16 man bracket. 

Seems like re-alignment should be done as often as needed. What is the big deal,

teams come and go. The regional balance should be adjusted every year if needed!

Its not like they have to maintain class designations, it shouldnt be that hard to maintain balance between regions.

I've argued before on competition, but this is beyond even competition.  It just isn't fair to have a region where kids just show up to qualify for state while others have to battle through a 16 man bracket. 

You are correct, what we need to do is break it down into 8 even districts rather than regions and then wrestle to the final four, then bring those individuals to 4 region tournaments and half the number of wrestlers again, then wrestle a simple two day, 16 man bracket, state tournament. 

You are correct, what we need to do is break it down into 8 even districts rather than regions and then wrestle to the final four, then bring those individuals to 4 region tournaments and half the number of wrestlers again, then wrestle a simple two day, 16 man bracket, state tournament. 

That's not going to happen.  I think the state likes the money and participation they're seeing right now with the 3 day 32 man bracket. 

I know there has been a post and a lot of talk about KCD not having a team next year.  I am close to the program and have been assured that the program will continue.  I don't know what this means for the region, but it does seem like a change is needed.  I don't know what the future of Ballard wrestling is, but I do believe J-town will continue to produce a wrestling team.  I wrestled when there was a district system in place, and am all for it.  The problem with that is most of the regions don't have the issues that region 5 has.  Also, I don't think most of the current wrestlers would like to go back to the old system.  It was very tuff to come out of a region that included Ryle, Cambell Co., Scott, Conner, the current region, etc...  A lot of kids wouldn't make it to state that have been going.

I know there has been a post and a lot of talk about KCD not having a team next year.  I am close to the program and have been assured that the program will continue. 

if hardy transfers to NO then how do u have a team with no kids?

sigep567 - not sure how close you are, but those whom I have spoken to (Coach Shofner and Hardy and his mom), who happen to actually be THE program, are all saying it is official.  No team.  I have no idea about Ballard, but unless someone comes out of the woodwork, they haven't been able to generate a lot of coaching interest.  I didn't mean to imply that I thought J-town would drop their team, but they have had limited numbers over the years.  So in a region with only 6 teams, when one has a small roster it adds to the issue.

Om, KCD did have another Wrestler.  A 171 pounder I believe.  Also, Coach Shofner only stated that the room was already being measured and renovated, so he assumed they were moving on.  He never stated that the program was over.  To the contrary, he stated that those in charge had told him the program would continue.  Hopefully this is the case. 

I believe what was said was that the 171 had other academic items he tended to rather than always being able to come to practice.  This still does not mean that another area of the nice KCD complex will not be openned to wrestling. 

The statements that I heard in person-to-person discussions (from all parties mentioned) was that the program is done.  No gray area in the words I heard.  I have some connection to the program and would love to hear they are sticking it out, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

The statements that I heard in person-to-person discussions (from all parties mentioned) was that the program is done.  No gray area in the words I heard.  I have some connection to the program and would love to hear they are sticking it out, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Coach Schofner and Hardy are both gone, what was the wrestling room is serving as an expansion to the current weight room, and still the program will go on in some fashion.  I am currently the middle school/assistant coach at KCD.  As for now, I have one middle school wreslter who I will continue to coach until an official decision is made.  As far as the high school program goes...I have a 171 pounder who will return and contend in the region.  I have a 112 that is coming back as well.  I also plan on having 135 - 152 covered for the upcoming year.  The AD is the one that will make the decision at KCD.  Losing both Coach Schofner and Hendren is a big deal, but I have not left and I plan on doing what I can to make sure that kids who want to wrestle get that opportunity.  With that being said, Hardy is still a student at KCD and I also plan to help him in the coming month as much as possible, and will help make his transition as smooth as possible to his next school, coach, and team.  I believe all involved feel the same way. 

Coach Schofner and Hardy are both gone, what was the wrestling room is serving as an expansion to the current weight room, and still the program will go on in some fashion.  I am currently the middle school/assistant coach at KCD.  As for now, I have one middle school wreslter who I will continue to coach until an official decision is made.  As far as the high school program goes...I have a 171 pounder who will return and contend in the region.  I have a 112 that is coming back as well.  I also plan on having 135 - 152 covered for the upcoming year.  The AD is the one that will make the decision at KCD.  Losing both Coach Schofner and Hendren is a big deal, but I have not left and I plan on doing what I can to make sure that kids who want to wrestle get that opportunity.  With that being said, Hardy is still a student at KCD and I also plan to help him in the coming month as much as possible, and will help make his transition as smooth as possible to his next school, coach, and team.  I believe all involved feel the same way. 

Sorry for all the confusion, In an earlier message I stated that KCD would no longer continue it's wrestling program, I was wrong.  A week after the season was over and I resigned as Head Coach, the wrestling room was dismantled for the expansion of the weight room.  This action let me to believe that the wrestling program would be dropped, I was incorrect in my assumption.  However, after seven years of coaching at KCD and still a parent of two students there, I am 100% sure that any efforts to continue a wrestling program at KCD is a complete waste of time.  The students athletes at KCD will not make the sacrifices necessary to be competitive wrestlers, which is a vital key in sustaining a wrestling program.  There is always play practice to attend or a choral performance or a Lacrosse meeting.  The number of excuses to wuss out of practice is endless with those kids.  When I forced the team members make the decision of coming to practice everyday and wrestling at every meet and tournament or turning in their uniforms, 80% showed up the next day with their uniforms in hand.  SOFT!!!  That's the only way to put it.  To damn SOFT!!!  So, will KCD have a team next year, maybe. 

Chris Shofner

Sorry for all the confusion, In an earlier message I stated that KCD would no longer continue it's wrestling program, I was wrong.  A week after the season was over and I resigned as Head Coach, the wrestling room was dismantled for the expansion of the weight room.  This action let me to believe that the wrestling program would be dropped, I was incorrect in my assumption.  However, after seven years of coaching at KCD and still a parent of two students there, I am 100% sure that any efforts to continue a wrestling program at KCD is a complete waste of time.  The students athletes at KCD will not make the sacrifices necessary to be competitive wrestlers, which is a vital key in sustaining a wrestling program.  There is always play practice to attend or a choral performance or a Lacrosse meeting.  The number of excuses to wuss out of practice is endless with those kids.  When I forced the team members make the decision of coming to practice everyday and wrestling at every meet and tournament or turning in their uniforms, 80% showed up the next day with their uniforms in hand.  SOFT!!!  That's the only way to put it.  To damn SOFT!!!   So, will KCD have a team next year, maybe. 

Chris Shofner

As a KCD alum and former team captain who watched the program thrive and then dwindle over a seven year period, I must say that I'm very disappointed with what's happened to the program in recent years. I think wrestling has become an increasingly minor part of the athletic culture at KCD and student recruitment for wrestling has always been overshadowed by basketball, football, and other sports. Additionally, in my experience with the athletes I knew from the classes of '02 through '13, I found that student-athletes at KCD tend to give lots of weight to their academic and other extracurricular pursuits - wrestling is just one part of the picture. I saw teammates who had to choose between state academic competitions and the regional wrestling tournament and others who had to balance tech-week rehearsals with wrestling practice.

As Coach Shofner points out, KCD athletes generally don't make wrestling their top commitment and that's why KCD's program has never been as strong as other schools'. Personally, I believe that a good program requires a balance of extremely dedicated athletes and others who fit wrestling in along with other activities that contribute to their growth as young adults.

Ranger standing up for Region 3? Woooooww!  :-o Lol. Never thought I would see the day.

Ranger standing up for Region 3? Woooooww!  :-o Lol. Never thought I would see the day.

Not standing up for any particular region, just what is right.  It just doesn't make sense for one region to have a 2 day regional and leave 6 to 10 kids sitting at home while another region only has 3 kids show up for a bracket and all automatically qualify.

Regarding region 3, I lived in Louisville for 10 years and was even a head coach in region 3 at one point.  So I know a little about the kids and programs in the area.  And I believe any comments I made against the region have been accurate.  I don't think I have made any negative comments against the schools or kids, just that the region overall has not been strong historically.

Not standing up for any particular region, just what is right.  It just doesn't make sense for one region to have a 2 day regional and leave 6 to 10 kids sitting at home while another region only has 3 kids show up for a bracket and all automatically qualify.

Regarding region 3, I lived in Louisville for 10 years and was even a head coach in region 3 at one point.  So I know a little about the kids and programs in the area.  And I believe any comments I made against the region have been accurate.  I don't think I have made any negative comments against the schools or kids, just that the region overall has not been strong historically.

I agree with your first point. It really doesn't seem fair when you have to go through it either.

Not trying to stir anything up, but im pretty sure I remember reading a post where you said "None of this will change my mind that this region is the pits of the state."