Sign in to follow this  
Mortal

Metcalf gets pinned???

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

OH i kinda figured people would know, its just this year is the first time i started watchin videos and hearing the talk about Metcalf and it shocked me.

Obviously neither of you have read the rule book about what a pin is.  Since two points of his back were flat on the mat, he is pinned.  It does not take shoulder blades, or shoulders on the mat to be pinned.

Yes, you are correct on the spelling, sorry I didn't go back and re-read my quick 5 second post!

I wasn't trying to say that referee made the wrong call, I couldn't see if he  was pinned I really do have bad eyesight and couldn't see the video very well, but you don't have to act like I'm a complete idiot when it comes to the rules

Caldwell wrestled a great match..poor sportsmanship by metcalf at the end

ya caldwell was on fire metcalf just got out wrestled. also metcalf did get a team point deducted for his poor sportsmanship

ya caldwell was on fire metcalf just got out wrestled. also metcalf did get a team point deducted for his poor sportsmanship

believe it or not it was actually caldwell who lost the team point.  he started his celebration prematurely. it was a great match.  i love to see the underdog come thru but i didnt even root for caldwell at first b/c i thought it was a for sure thing for metcalf to win

believe it or not it was actually caldwell who lost the team point.  he started his celebration prematurely. it was a great match.  i love to see the underdog come thru but i didnt even root for caldwell at first b/c i thought it was a for sure thing for metcalf to win

nope metcalf lost the point

The main college wrestling forum has been talking about the Metcalf push since it happened, just like this forum has.  An article has been posted on TheMat.com message board and it is pretty good.  Thought I would post on here as well for all to read:

SESKER COLUMN: Bashing of Iowa's Metcalf needs to end

Craig Sesker USA Wrestling

03/26/2009

The Brent Metcalf bashing needs to stop.

Did Metcalf go over the line when he pushed North Carolina State

Isn't it ironic that because of all the hoopla surrounding the push, Sports Illustrated this week has a picture of Caldwell horizontal to the mat with Metcalf in the background looking menacing...Funny the only pub we can get in such a major publication is bad or in the Faces in the Crowd Section--which did have a blurb on a young man from Norfolf that pinned his way through the Virginia state tournament at 112.  Each pin happened in the first minute of each match it said.

That match didn't change my opinion on Metcalf at all. Metcalf is a beast and is still the OVERALL better wrestler. It makes me so frustrated that Metcalf lost because I know Caldwell doesn't work half as hard as Metcalf does. Caldwell looses matches even gets pinned quickly, by Palmer, and still gets called the better wrestler. I think you all need to evaluate the situation, win or loose Metcalf was still the better wrestler. Caldwell beat him on that night but one match doesn't make your career. I love Rulon Gardner to death but he is not better than Alexander Karelin. Another thing, why do people call Metcalf a bully? Is it because of his desire to win? Is it because of his tenacity on the mat? If so, people need to get over it this is wrestling. In my opinion Metcalf has swagger and every champion needs a bit of swagger.

No, Caldwell is the better wrestler, when looking only at Metcalf and Caldwell as Calwell has proven in two matches.  There is always a better wrestler, heck it could be argued that there was even a better wrestler than Dan Gable (maybe I wouldn't take stock in it, because I believe he was the ultimate wrestler, but he did lose).  Just because Metcalf is the better wrestler when looking between Palmer and Metcalf and just because Palmer is the better wrestler when looking between Calwell and Palmer in no way makes Metcalf the better wrestler.  Not to mention that a true champion would not have acted as Metcalf did.  You are supreme in victory as well as defeat. 

Speaking of myself, I hated losing more than anyone could every possibly imagine.  Yet, I always acted as a perfect gentlemen.  I may have been thinking to myself that I will tear you limb from limb next match, but I still acted as a perfect gentlemen.

That match didn't change my opinion on Metcalf at all. Metcalf is a beast and is still the OVERALL better wrestler. It makes me so frustrated that Metcalf lost because I know Caldwell doesn't work half as hard as Metcalf does. Caldwell looses matches even gets pinned quickly, by Palmer, and still gets called the better wrestler. I think you all need to evaluate the situation, win or loose Metcalf was still the better wrestler. Caldwell beat him on that night but one match doesn't make your career. I love Rulon Gardner to death but he is not better than Alexander Karelin. Another thing, why do people call Metcalf a bully? Is it because of his desire to win? Is it because of his tenacity on the mat? If so, people need to get over it this is wrestling. In my opinion Metcalf has swagger and every champion needs a bit of swagger.

When are you referring to Palmer pinning Caldwell? Because I remember Caldwell pinning Palmer in the 1st period this year.

No, Caldwell is the better wrestler, when looking only at Metcalf and Caldwell as Calwell has proven in two matches.  There is always a better wrestler, heck it could be argued that there was even a better wrestler than Dan Gable (maybe I wouldn't take stock in it, because I believe he was the ultimate wrestler, but he did lose).  Just because Metcalf is the better wrestler when looking between Palmer and Metcalf and just because Palmer is the better wrestler when looking between Calwell and Palmer in no way makes Metcalf the better wrestler.  Not to mention that a true champion would not have acted as Metcalf did.  You are supreme in victory as well as defeat. 

Speaking of myself, I hated losing more than anyone could every possibly imagine.  Yet, I always acted as a perfect gentlemen.  I may have been thinking to myself that I will tear you limb from limb next match, but I still acted as a perfect gentlemen.

Actually Caldwell and Metcalf are 2-1 with Metcalf having a tech fall over Caldwell. I still think Metcalf is a better wrestler. I really don't see how staying on the attack is making you a bad gentleman? It's been proven in SEVERAL interviews nothing was intentional of the "push" not SHOVE or BULLDOZED as the idiots on youtube put it. Heck even Caldwell said he didn't think it was intentional so really people making judgements just on the video alone are looking at it from a third person view, which means your saying "To me it looked like a shove and was intentional". When in reality both wrestlers admitted that it wasn't an intentional push.

Metcalf is still the better wrestler though. His win percentage is far above Caldwell and that is something you just cannot take away. Looking at similar opponents Metcalf has beaten everyone of Caldwell's losses including Lang, Jenkins, Palmer, all of them.

Also I think Caldwell is scared. He doesn't want to come back and defend his title which infuriates me. Hopefully they wrestle in two weeks at the open.