Sign in to follow this  
Zeus

NCAA's!

That was a pitiful match I'm sorry but If I didn't know either of those wrestlers I would've thought it was quite boring. You could tell after the first period all Caldwell did was stall and defend. Metcalf couldn't finish anything. Caldwell pullin a move hey lemme call a timeout before metcalf takes me down. Caldwell only had one stall call, ONE CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT? Go back and look at this match guys and if you can honestly say that Caldwell should have only been hit once for stalling than please do KY wrestling a favor and never go for a ref'ing license. In my eyes several times Caldwell should have been hit for a stall call like oh say when he was laying face down on the mat or say when he was running around the mat after the five seconds. Also I 100% believe Metcalf had a five point move on Caldwell on the edge. I see Ben Askren do that move quite a bit and Metcalf had Caldwell on his back for at least a five count, if that isn't long enough time that shows established control i don't know what is. I would've also given Caldwell the two reversal afterwards but come on Metcalf obviously had a 5 point move there.

You are supposed to wrestle for the entire seven minutes and Caldwell started running at 2 secs and did start his flip with maybe a couple tenths of a second on the clock.  However Metcalf while I think at first was just running after him to try and score definitely pushed him after time expired and they were off the mat.  I can see the point taken from Iowa and perhaps one from NC State but it wouldn't have mattered anyway so Caldwell didn't care.  The push looked a lot worse than it really was.

If you watch that match u can see that push was out of anger but cadwell shouldnt of started that early with his celebration

and on the stalling note he was up by alot of points the stalling calls wouldnt have made a difference if they did give some points to metcalf

HE WAS BEATING BRENT METCALF IF UR WINNING AGAINST HIM AND THERE IS SHORT TIME I WOULD ALSO FOR A NATIOANL CHAMPonSHIP

Why are you yelling? Second of all that wasn't may point. My point was would have sat there with 2 stall calls already? If you chose yes like it seems you have you got hit for 3rd stall and 2 points are taken away. Oh seems you want to run away with 5 more seconds left also eh? That's your 4th stall and your Dq'd, sorry dude you just lost.

Why are you yelling? Second of all that wasn't may point. My point was would have sat there with 2 stall calls already? If you chose yes like it seems you have you got hit for 3rd stall and 2 points are taken away. Oh seems you want to run away with 5 more seconds left also eh? That's your 4th stall and your Dq'd, sorry dude you just lost.

sorry dude metcalf lost :evil:

sorry dude metcalf lost :evil:

1. I know Metcalf lost 2. I know Metcalf shouldn't have been in that position. 3. I am a Metcalf fan but I actually wanted to see Caldwell win. The reason I'm upset is because I actually thought that match was awful. Caldwell did all he could to not wrestle the last 4 min.

I would have pushed him too if he started doing a back flip at the end of our match like that.  I thought there was a couple of seconds left when he started flipping.  Talk about bad sportsmanship!

I would have pushed him too if he started doing a back flip at the end of our match like that.  I thought there was a couple of seconds left when he started flipping.  Talk about bad sportsmanship!

cause metcalfs was better?

whens the last time someone has been DQ'd for stalling in the NCAAs?? my point exactly, Caldwell has been wrestling on the college level for awhile, do you really think if a second stalling call had been made, he would have stalled like he did. Stalling is apart of wrestling, have to except that, as much as we hate when people do it, its apart of wrestling[period]

What everyone seems to be overlooking is the fact that he steamrolled a guy in mid air while he was doing a backflip. That was cool as hell. It was brutal and very satisfying to see. I enjoyed it, atleast.

you have got to be kidding me.  The only stalling call that should have been made was the one that was.  It was a very exciting match to watch.  I mean how many times do you get to see metcalf take an excelent shot and the man he is wrestling is skilled enough to turn it into a takedown of his own.  Caldwell ownded metcalf in that match and the haters can say otherwise.  Besides metcalf should never of made those comments in that interview in the semis made him sound like and cocky POC.  Maybe Caldwells celebration was too much but if i was wrestling metcalf and no one gave me a shot in hell i might celebrate A LOT also...

whats that suppose to mean, stalling coming from a wofo kid? where are you from Bear?

It doesn't matter where I'm from, just about everyone in the state hates Woodford so I could be from anywhere but Versailes.

you have got to be kidding me.  The only stalling call that should have been made was the one that was.  It was a very exciting match to watch.  I mean how many times do you get to see metcalf take an excelent shot and the man he is wrestling is skilled enough to turn it into a takedown of his own.  Caldwell ownded metcalf in that match and the haters can say otherwise.  Besides metcalf should never of made those comments in that interview in the semis made him sound like and cocky POC.  Maybe Caldwells celebration was too much but if i was wrestling metcalf and no one gave me a shot in hell i might celebrate A LOT also...

No you have to be kidding me running around in circles don't think that's stalling? Laying on the mat, don't think that's stalling? I could have found at the very least 3 blatently clear stalling calls that should have been made. To me with that much stalling no it's not very exciting to see someone play rock for a whole period.

No you have to be kidding me running around in circles don't think that's stalling? Laying on the mat, don't think that's stalling? I could have found at the very least 3 blatently clear stalling calls that should have been made. To me with that much stalling no it's not very exciting to see someone play rock for a whole period.

I'm pretty sure that the refs that are used for the NCAA championships are probably more qualified then you in making these calls.  Was you there?  Watching videos and actually being on the mat is always a lot different.  Metcalf wrestled bad and did not deserve to win, stalling calls regardless.  Ruschell could of beaten Metcalf in that match.

Caldwell clearly took it to Metcalf got him off his game...to me that was the best match of the finals..now the 125 match was boring..winning off of a locking hand call get real...

I don't think Ruschell could have won that match against Metcalf.  Caldwell came out with a specific game plan and executed it perfectly.  I would say he trained hard the weeks before to get his conditioning to a level where it would give him a chance.  He also knew he was quicker than Metcalf and probably stronger, especially in the first period.

It looked to me like Metcalf lost his mental edge which is his biggest strength.  He had never been behind in a match and been dominated so thoroughly.  Caldwell came out and took him down twice and showed no respect for the Metcalf aura, just like Blatnick said in his commentary.  Once the third period came around the atmosphere of the place was working against him and it seemed like he broke mentally.  I don't think conditioning was as big a factor as the mentality of the two athletes.

I don't think Ruschell could have won that match against Metcalf.  Caldwell came out with a specific game plan and executed it perfectly.  I would say he trained hard the weeks before to get his conditioning to a level where it would give him a chance.  He also knew he was quicker than Metcalf and probably stronger, especially in the first period.

It looked to me like Metcalf lost his mental edge which is his biggest strength.  He had never been behind in a match and been dominated so thoroughly.  Caldwell came out and took him down twice and showed no respect for the Metcalf aura, just like Blatnick said in his commentary.  Once the third period came around the atmosphere of the place was working against him and it seemed like he broke mentally.  I don't think conditioning was as big a factor as the mentality of the two athletes.

I agree. I think he just punched a bully in the face.

It was also nice too see the world agreeing with me about the Iowa coach in making Ohio State's Tom Ryan the coach of the year. That's 2 years in a row that he took a team finishing in the middle of the Big10s to a runner-up NC2A finish.

I don't think Ruschell could have won that match against Metcalf.

Probably not, but maybe.  You just never know.  Kyle seemed healthy and he has a funky style.  I doubt he could beat Metcalf when Metcalf is on his A game, but Metcalf didn't look the same as he normally does in the finals.  I heard when the 2 wrestlers approached the stage Metcalf looked flat, and kind of hung on the handrails coming up to the stage compared to Caldwell who seemed pumped and full of energy.  If anyone ever needed proof that ANYONE can be beat, that was it.

I do agree with you about the Metcalf/Caldwell match though.  Metcalf was broke mentally more than physically.  Caldwell was a much more explosive wrestler than Metcalf, but I think Metcalf could handle that.  But when the lead got too big in the 3rd period I think Metcalf knew he couldn't overcome that and he was defeated.  I was actually rooting for Metcalf but you can't take anything away from Caldwell.  That first period was stunning.

I actually had the pleasure of attending this event.  It was my first time, and I will say to anyone who is truly a wrestling fan...try to make it there!  The cameraderie is very cool.  Everywhere you turn it seems like you're standing next to an NCAA AA, or Olympic medalist.  Next year Kyle will probably have a chance to win the whole thing.  It would be great to see a whole Kentucky section showing support to him.  He really seems like a great kid and is a great example for Kentucky wrestlers to try to follow in his footsteps.  I could not have been happier for him and his family this weekend.

Something else that went on over the weekend that I'm not sure they showed much of this on TV...but there was a kid with 1 leg who made All-American.  I think he was 4th around 125 or 133.  It was inspiring to say the least.  He received several standing ovations, and if you look him up on youtube show your wrestlers this guy.  The whole time you watch him wrestle, you are just saying to yourself "how can he do that?".  You talk about overcoming obsticles, that is simply amazing.