maddog33

what refs to want at region and state

I would like to know about what refs to look out for....who should be there and who should not..i know i would like cattan,barnett or jim shaw..who else is good..i have not seen all of them this year..

I like the two new refs, they wrestled for central hardin last year. one is Tyler Lasley(I think I spelled it right) and I dont remember the other ones name. he was like Hawiian or something.  i believe he was their 125 or 130.

I like the two new refs, they wrestled for central hardin last year. one is Tyler Lasley(I think I spelled it right) and I dont remember the other ones name. he was like Hawiian or something.  i believe he was their 125 or 130.

Are you serious, those are two of the worst refs in the state.

Lasley is a pretty good ref i think, stephen rivera is an alright ref not the best

I am a fan of Shumate and Barnett.  I did not think that Walls did that bad at State last year, but that was the only time I have seen them. 

the shaw brothers haha!!!!!!! not. Keep them away from any wrestling mat

That's true. I feel the Shaws have somewhat of a prejudice against W. Ky wrestlers, maybe because they used to spank them across the mat back in the day :lol: No but really I feel that most of the refs do a decent job especially at the state tournament. I've never had a bad ref in any of my matches but I know of a few teammates that have, that's what I base it my judgements on. Cattan is a little overrated though, alot of missed calls and bad judgements and we could have some different state champions due to them. Walls is alright when it comes to the state tournament, but when it comes to say Caldwell Co. Inv. or any region 1 tournament he likes to be the center of attention which irritates me. Let the wrestlers wrestle and the coaches coach and the refs referee not sit there try to be the star on the mat.

Barnett is the best. I like the one named Jimmie -- Is that Jimmie Davis? Cody Walls is all right. Cattan knows the sport, but he's so full of himself and inconsistent. I agree that he's sometimes controlled the outcome of a match. He's ugly as homemadfe sin, too.

I think we all agree that Barnett is the best ref, Unless you like to stall then he's going to make you wrestle.  I also like Mark Shumate and Rocky.  Both the Shaw brothers do a good job.  Joe Fattann sucks!!!  He's gotten to fat to get down on the mat to call back points.  Fattan has it in his head that we gather in the gym each Saturday to watch the Joe Fattan show, stay home fat Joe we won't miss you.

I think we all agree that Barnett is the best ref, Unless you like to stall then he's going to make you wrestle.  I also like Mark Shumate and Rocky.  Both the Shaw brothers do a good job.  Joe Fattann sucks!!!  He's gotten to fat to get down on the mat to call back points.  Fattan has it in his head that we gather in the gym each Saturday to watch the Joe Fattan show, stay home fat Joe we won't miss you.

LOL

bring in refs from another state that have no love for certain teams!!!

I think Jeremy Callen from WV is one of the best, has did the WCI the past 4 or 5 years with some other WV Refs. He has also done KY state 4 yrs. that I can think of. He is consistent and far, yes he has made some mistakes.When I asked him about some that I saw, about 50% were a judgment call, 30% he did not see and 20% he said he made a mistake. This is over 5yrs that I have seen him Ref and only a few that I would ? each day.

bring in refs from another state that have no love for certain teams!!!

i wouldnt want that because they would ref completely different than the refs in our state had reffed all year. many calls would be different, besides certain states have different rules.

If you bring in refs from other states that is just going to make things worse in KY. How would you feel if you working in this state all year then it cam post season time and you were told that your not good enough we are going to bring some out of state guys in. If you think we dont have that many refs now just do that and see what would happen

I believe most all states follow the National Federation of State High School Associations rules, although all Refs are a little different the rules are the same. Each state does have some different rules on some things, once your on the mat it's the same. The same could be said about a Ref from east or west KY going to state and you have never him/her. As with most all sports there are three teams on the field, court, rink, mat, the two teams competing and the Refs. All you can do is your part/teams part to beat the other person/team, hope the Ref does his job and gets all the calls right (this will not always happen). You or your team can also take it out of the Refs hands by scoring so much and being so good that it not even close to involving the Ref at end. Other than that you just have to deal with what you have like everyone else.

actually some states rules on wrestling are different and a lot of the paces are different. such as in indiana, the banana split is illegal, even if done slowly and controlled. i know this because i went to camp in illinois this pst summer, and one of my teamates used this move in a match, and he got called for it. about the paces being different, i know that in ohio, if your first move off the whistle is a step back, you are hit for stalling right there. has this ever been the case in kentucky?

the problem isnt about bringing in unbiased refs from out of state, its getting rid of the biased ones we already have, and the ones everyone has a problem with year in and year out.

actually some states rules on wrestling are different and a lot of the paces are different. such as in indiana, the banana split is illegal, even if done slowly and controlled. i know this because i went to camp in illinois this pst summer, and one of my teamates used this move in a match, and he got called for it. about the paces being different, i know that in ohio, if your first move off the whistle is a step back, you are hit for stalling right there. has this ever been the case in kentucky?

the problem isnt about bringing in unbiased refs from out of state, its getting rid of the biased ones we already have, and the ones everyone has a problem with year in and year out.

Rules for Indiana(with  MODIFICATIONS & RECOMMENDATIONS) & OH same as KY, NFHSA

Indiana High School Athletic Association, Inc.

By-Laws

FOLKSTYLE SPECIFIC MODIFICATIONS & RECOMMENDATIONS

NFHSA Rules will apply with the following modifications as listed on this page:

1. Athletes must weigh-in wearing a competition singlet. No school attachment is allowed.

2. All corrections of error and bad time MUST be settled with the official/head official at mat side

using the guidelines per NFHS Rules. No judgment issue will be reviewed.

3. The ISWA recommends that line bracketing be used at all Folkstyle events where there are 4 or

more in a weight class. Vertical pairing is recommended for 3 or less. Copies of bracket sheets, flow

charts, etc. are availble for printing on the ISWA web site: www.iswa.com.

4. With the exception of the State Finals, weight classes should be split, (only one time) in the event

there are 17 or more wrestlers in any one weight class.

http://www.iswa.com/2004PDF/2004%20Rules%20Modifications%20FS-GR.pdf

2009 WRESTLING TOURNAMENT REGULATIONS

REFER TO OHSAA WEBSITE - www.ohsaa.org

7. SCORING

The point system as adopted by the National Federation Wrestling Rules Committee for the current season shall be used in all tournaments. Rules are specific in awarding points during tournaments and should be strictly followed by tournament managers.

http://www.ohsaa.org/sports/wr/boys/wrrglts.pdf

that post has nothing to do with what moves are illegal, and which ones arent. so if that was meant to prove mine wrong, sorry im sticking by my earlier post.