Sign in to follow this  
Wildblueeyes

Lafayette 5 Star 1-10-08

tc125 said: well you also have to think that maybe bryant got caught. it was in about a minute was it? id love to have seen what happened so i could draw my own conlusion as to what happened.

It was a take down, to a cradle, to a pin, no headlock or throw, just pure domination.

tc125 said: well you also have to think that maybe bryant got caught. it was in about a minute was it? id love to have seen what happened so i could draw my own conlusion as to what happened.

It was a take down, to a cradle, to a pin, no headlock or throw, just pure domination.

then i guess it should be no contest then.

Alex Johns actually wrestled 112 last year.  He placed 3rd at state in that weight class last year.  Lost a 4-3 dec. to a kid from Indy Cathedral who went on to win the weight class.  In the 3rd place match he wrestled a tough kid from Warsaw and beat him by a 6-2 or 7-2 dec.  I can't remember the exact score.  He's tough, but so is Zarth.  This would definitely be worth watching.  Reitz lost about 3 or 4 kids who competed at state last year in Indiana, but they still field a pretty tough team.

As for Mt. Vernon, I don't know much about them, but they should have a pretty tough kid wrestling HWT.  He made it to state last year, which making it to state in Indiana is an accomplishment in itself.  You have to survive 3 weekends of wrestling (sectionals, regionals, semi-state) just to get there.  I'm pretty sure he was just a junior last year so he should be back.  He has a pretty good coach as well in Andy Schneider who was a 2x state champ at HWT in Indiana in the mid 90's so I'm sure the kid is much improved.

So this tournament is totally duals?  No one breaks out into brackets?  Only the first team out of each pool gets to wrestle 5 matches??  Please expalin.

I believe the pool matches only are set up as duals.  Best individual records advance out to 1-4 and 5-8.

tc125: then i guess it should be no contest then.

I wouldn't go that far. It was the finals of Christian County's tournament the last time Dee would be wrestling in his gym, most likely a huge contributing factor. I'm betting Bryant gives a lot better match the next time.

Does anyone know how many mats they will be using and how long do they expect this tourney to last on Saturday?

normally they use four mats.

Rumor has it, there may be familiar face wrestling 171 at Lafayette this weekend. :evil:  This certain individual wrestled here in KY last year and is going to school in IN now. :evil:

Rumor has it, there may be familiar face wrestling 171 at Lafayette this weekend. :evil:  This certain individual wrestled here in KY last year and is going to school in IN now. :evil:

I hope it's not a familiar hairdo.

#6 Josh Moss

#7 Jack Podgorski

#10 Brandon Whitehouse

all in one pool everyone else at that weight seems to not be as good so it looks like some lesser wrestlers will place higher, i know it cant be avoided at every weight class just kind of sucks but still nothng against coach mccoy or his pools

Semi Finals at 103- #4 in KY Pat Milford from PLD will wrestle #4 in IN Brian Kuhn from Reitz. (Assuming they'll make it out of their pools.)

normally they use four mats.

I guess I'm confused with everyone wrestling three duals in their pool that would be six duals per mat. :? :? Four mats; Right ? After the conclusion of the last dual, the weight class champs from each pool will be put into four man brackets.  :-D I am confused from here, (I don't think I've been given the right info) or the lack of understanding on my part. 14 weight classes with 3 matches per bracket without wrestling for third. Multiply that by four, according to an earlier post saying individuals from 1-4. My head is spinning from the math.  :-o I don't think this could be possible with four mats. Something is not quite right. :wink: With 6 duals on all four mats you are at least figuring 7-9 hrs. Can someone explain? It appears to be a very long day of wrestling. Has this been done before? It is our first time going and I was just curious. While I'm asking all these questions about the tourney, is there coolers allowed and what type of seating should we be expecting. I know people will be asking here in Evansville about all of these things. Also is the gym fairly large to accomodate 16 teams and fans. Sorry for the questions. We are looking for a great day of wrestling some of Kentucky's finest. Thanks

I guess I'm confused with everyone wrestling three duals in their pool that would be six duals per mat. :? :? Four mats; Right ? After the conclusion of the last dual, the weight class champs from each pool will be put into four man brackets.  :-D I am confused from here, (I don't think I've been given the right info) or the lack of understanding on my part. 14 weight classes with 3 matches per bracket without wrestling for third. Multiply that by four, according to an earlier post saying individuals from 1-4. My head is spinning from the math.  :-o I don't think this could be possible with four mats. Something is not quite right. :wink: With 6 duals on all four mats you are at least figuring 7-9 hrs. Can someone explain? It appears to be a very long day of wrestling. Has this been done before? It is our first time going and I was just curious. While I'm asking all these questions about the tourney, is there coolers allowed and what type of seating should we be expecting. I know people will be asking here in Evansville about all of these things. Also is the gym fairly large to accomodate 16 teams and fans. Sorry for the questions. We are looking for a great day of wrestling some of Kentucky's finest. Thanks

The day is usually over before 8pm if I remember right. This tournament has been ran like this for at least 8 yrs now, I wrestled in it when I was in school. Its a different type of tournament that you usually go to. Coach McCoy and his staff always do a great job of running it

Thanks for the info. It sounds like a very interesting and great day of wrestling. We have wrestled Union County and Trinity already this year and for the past few years. Just a few years ago we went to the King of the Bluegrass for two consecutive years.  I really don't know much about the teams at 5-Star. Are these KY schools from any area in particular or are they all spread out. It sounds like some pretty good talent spread out between these teams.

Guest cmccoy

We run the duals non stop. In one pool gets way ahead we try to move the others to keep it going. In the 8 years I have done this, we have finished with the pools around 3:30 or 4:00 and began semis at around 5:00. The latest we have been is 8:00 in the 8 years I have done it. My goal with the tournament is to provide a competitive tournament where everyone gets to wrestle at least three matches and have everyone out early.

We run the duals non stop. In one pool gets way ahead we try to move the others to keep it going. In the 8 years I have done this, we have finished with the pools around 3:30 or 4:00 and began semis at around 5:00. The latest we have been is 8:00 in the 8 years I have done it. My goal with the tournament is to provide a competitive tournament where everyone gets to wrestle at least three matches and have everyone out early.

and that should be every tournaments goal. i applaud you for being able to make it happen.