Sign in to follow this  
eville dad

Beast of the East 08

Good Luck! It is great tournament with plenty of exposure.  I was highly impressed with Fahy. The NKAC has been on the same weekend since the early 1800's, long before the Beast.  Ryle actually lost both NKAC in the years that Ruschell, Peace and Reid went to the Beast. I think it paid off.  Hopefully, it will do the same for the others.

Only 4 KY guys have wrestled in this, 3 have placed.

Campbell County beat Ryle last year by 25 in the conference. Even if Peace and Reid pinned both opponents, they still would have lost by 1. Campbell County has 3 very difficult Ohio tournaments in January. Brown has been injured and Shotwell was needed by his team for the conference. Coach Bankemper made the call and it was the right decision. Shotwell will be going to Nationals.

Only 4 KY guys have wrestled in this, 3 have placed.

And look what it has done for them. This tournament can work wonders, im tellin ya. Who was the fourth, that didn't place? And if im not mistaken, i believe Andre Zeppa told me that he went one year, it was either the beast, or Tournament of Champions.

And look what it has done for them. This tournament can work wonders, im tellin ya. Who was the fourth, that didn't place? And if im not mistaken, i believe Andre Zeppa told me that he went one year, it was either the beast, or Tournament of Champions.

I think Peace is the one that did not place.

I think Peace is the one that did not place.

it surprises me if it was him, peace was a great wrestler. what year did he wrestle in it?

Peace graduated in 2008.  He goes to Prinston University and is NOT wrestling.

I thought Peace was wrestling for them? But a 2x ky state champion just doesn't have the credentials i guess...

I thought Peace was wrestling for them? But a 2x ky state champion just doesn't have the credentials i guess...

does princeton even have a good wrestling program? im sure he could have continued his career if he wanted.

Im not exactly sure how their program is? I know that prior to last years state, they were seriously involved with Derek Nickel. Then we all know the story with that.

does princeton even have a good wrestling program? im sure he could have continued his career if he wanted.

They are ok.  Had a national finalist in 2002 with Greg Parker, was beat by the amazing Greg Jones from WVU (a 3x champ), the fastest upper weight I have ever seen.  I would say one reason Peace isn't wrestling is academics are more important than wrestling, which I agree with completely.  If Peace becomes a doctor or whatever he's going into but doesn't wrestle I would say his decision was more than a success. 

Most of the Ivy League schools aren't that good because of the academic demand.  Cornell is the exception to the rule though.  They have a real outside shot at winning the NCAA nationals this year with I think four wrestlers ranked in the top 3 (Nickerson, Leen, Lewnes, Anceravage).  There is also another Ivy League wrestler with a great shot at winning nationals individually in Corey Jantzon from Harvard at 141 (I believe he is ranked first right now but that weight is wide open this year).  His older brother Jesse Jantzen won in 2003 at 149.

I think peace just wasnt into it any more and they wanted him to drop to 133 and he didnt want to do that.

Yeah wrestling is a sport that is really easy to get burnt out on. It takes a real mental capacity to be able to not eat whatever you want for, most of these good wrestlers, much of your whole life.

i think id kill myself if i had to wrestle in college....

whoa whoa whoa... calm down buster. lol. goood thing you didnt ssay that at school or there would be some big trouble. lol trust me i've been there done that. but yea wrestling in college is really stressful and tiring i would imagine. ive never wrestled in college so i wouldn't know but its just an assumption.

Nah, it wasn't his credentials.  He got in there and could have wrestled.  Like others have said, he probably just wanted to focus on school.  Good for him.  He had the talent and could have wrestled in college, but I imagine homework & studying at Princeton is INSANE. 

Nah, it wasn't his credentials.  He got in there and could have wrestled.  Like others have said, he probably just wanted to focus on school.  Good for him.  He had the talent and could have wrestled in college, but I imagine homework & studying at Princeton is INSANE. 

yeah, my physics teacher graduated from Cornell and he brought in like a 3 1/2" binder full of homework from just his first semester freshman year! it was insane.

So far today.

John Fahy   2-0

Myron Bradbury   2-0

Brad Hitchings    1st rd. bye

Josh Johnson 1-0

thats great, i hope they all do great today.

So far today.

John Fahy  2-0

Myron Bradbury  2-0

Brad Hitchings    1st rd. bye

Josh Johnson 1-0

thats fantastic. any details as to who they beat?

this john fahey kid must be the real deal. i must say, i had my doubts, but hes proving them wrong.

i predict him going undefeated through high school. but i really hope that he doesn't fall into the Travis Sullivan trap and stay at 103 for 65984456513264 years... i want to see him lift weights, get stronger, and compete at 125 in a couple years. then see how he can do at the collegiate level.

i predict him going undefeated through high school. but i really hope that he doesn't fall into the Travis Sullivan trap and stay at 103 for 65984456513264 years... i want to see him lift weights, get stronger, and compete at 125 in a couple years. then see how he can do at the collegiate level.

yeah, that sounds like a good plan for him.

wow, i had no idea beast of the east was so big. 64 MAN BRACKETS!!! thats rediculous for me to even think about how great it would feel to win a competition like that. especially with the competition being so tough. how did the idea of this tournament get started? and when? does anyone know for sure?

Updates from the Beast:

Round 1

Fahy - Pin

Bradbury - bye

Johnson - W 5-4

Hitchings - bye

Round 2

Fahy - W 7-0

Bradbury - W 5-4

Johnson - L 3-0

Hitchings - Pin

Round of 16 up next.