Sign in to follow this  
out side sweep

most dominant

Agreed, but its like (using somebody elses analogy) comparing Allen Iverson to Michael Jordan. Both are superstars, both are great, but only one is/was the very best. Zarth will likely win state this year, and become Lexington's first 3 time state champion. But Harrison Courtney is going to be a 4 time state champion, and he is going to do in the best way to do it, not cutting weight so that you can run from better opponents, but wrestling his natural weight and simply dominating everyone in the last 4 years.

Harrison Courtney is already thought of as one of the best wrestlers in the state of Kentucky ever. I mean we're talking about a guy here who should be a 5 time state chamion, but his young nerves got the best of him when he was in the 8th grade. I believe that he may be, the very best to ever wrestle in Kentucky.

i cant believe that you said harrison courtney could be the best wrestler ever in ky...i would be willing to bet that he could not beat any of the top eight wrestlers in the 90's  i love wrestling but the competition in ky now is terrible...you are putting him over his ass coach and issiac knable..i think the murton brothers were better than him  lets get real

i cant believe that you said harrison courtney could be the best wrestler ever in ky...i would be willing to bet that he could not beat any of the top eight wrestlers in the 90's  i love wrestling but the competition in ky now is terrible...you are putting him over his butt coach and issiac knable..i think the murton brothers were better than him  lets get real

competition in kentucky right now is as good as it has ever been maybe better.  i would say the only way to compare the different generations is how well the kids are doing at nationals & after high school.  the 2 guys you mentioned from the 90's can't hold a candle to what Ruschell has accomplished in college.  Throw in Starks, the Murtons, Brad Cooper, Taylor Shearer (sp), Mason Reid, Peace, John Wolsiefer, Ervin, etc....wrestling in Ky right now is doing damn good!  Has Kentucky EVER had 2 kids ranked in the top 20 in D1?  I very seriously doubt it. 

As far as Courtney has gone, he's on pace to be a 4xer, hasn't lost in this state i think someone said since his 8th grade year?  Maybe 9th.  And he's been in the meat grinder every year.  I'll grant you Joe Carr jr probably would have beat him, not so sure about Knable.  Murton brothers I'd agree with you too, but they are not from the 90's...and they are transplants.  I believe they cut their teeth up in Ohio wrestling for some 4X ohio guy named Eric Burnett.  There were some great wrestlers in the 90's for sure, but give these new guys their props too.

competition in kentucky right now is as good as it has ever been maybe better.  i would say the only way to compare the different generations is how well the kids are doing at nationals & after high school.  the 2 guys you mentioned from the 90's can't hold a candle to what Ruschell has accomplished in college.  Throw in Starks, the Murtons, Brad Cooper, Taylor Shearer (sp), Mason Reid, Peace, John Wolsiefer, Ervin, etc....wrestling in Ky right now is doing damn good!  Has Kentucky EVER had 2 kids ranked in the top 20 in D1?  I very seriously doubt it. 

As far as Courtney has gone, he's on pace to be a 4xer, hasn't lost in this state i think someone said since his 8th grade year?  Maybe 9th.  And he's been in the meat grinder every year.  I'll grant you Joe Carr jr probably would have beat him, not so sure about Knable.  Murton brothers I'd agree with you too, but they are not from the 90's...and they are transplants.  I believe they cut their teeth up in Ohio wrestling for some 4X ohio guy named Eric Burnett.  There were some great wrestlers in the 90's for sure, but give these new guys their props too.

I believe his last loss was to Pat Banks at State Duals his freshman year in that epic Larue-Woodford final. I thin Larue won it something like 31-30.

i cant believe that you said harrison courtney could be the best wrestler ever in ky...i would be willing to bet that he could not beat any of the top eight wrestlers in the 90's  i love wrestling but the competition in ky now is terrible...you are putting him over his butt coach and issiac knable..i think the murton brothers were better than him  lets get real

Don't even get me started on Knable. He was a great wrestler, but Shaun Smith was royally sc****d. Everyone knows who the better wrestler was out of the two, if you had seen the match.

Don't even get me started on Knable. He was a great wrestler, but Shaun Smith was royally sc****d. Everyone knows who the better wrestler was out of the two, if you had seen the match.

who is shaun smith and wat was the occassion you are tlking about?

Courtney is probably one of the top ten wrestlers to ever come out of Kentucky, quite an accomplishment if you ask me.  I don't count the Murtons because they came halfway through their high school careers; they weren't born and raised in KY.  Knable wouldn't make my top 10 list for two reasons.  One he wasn't as good as his stats suggested and two he lived in Indiana but wrestled for St X (a private school).

IMO wrestlers from the 2000's who were in Harrison's league were:

Kyle Ruschell

Richard Starks

Brad Cooper

Luke Metzger

Taylor Scherer

Mitch Ervin

Courtney is probably one of the top ten wrestlers to ever come out of Kentucky, quite an accomplishment if you ask me.  I don't count the Murtons because they came halfway through their high school careers; they weren't born and raised in KY.  Knable wouldn't make my top 10 list for two reasons.  One he wasn't as good as his stats suggested and two he lived in Indiana but wrestled for St X (a private school).

IMO wrestlers from the 2000's who were in Harrison's league were:

Kyle Ruschell

Richard Starks

Brad Cooper

Luke Metzger

Taylor Scherer

Mitch Ervin

Can you elaborate on Knable? I never saw him wrestle and always heard he was one of the best. Who is Shaun Smith and what happened in their match?

Can you elaborate on Knable? I never saw him wrestle and always heard he was one of the best. Who is Shaun Smith and what happened in their match?

really all i know about him is that he dominated in high school, but then went on to do nothing in college.

All Knable ever did was all that was asked of him. He had nagging injuries that prevented him from having a stellar career at Indiana. But, give him credit for wrestling Div 1 in the toughest conference in America. I know he was respected by his coaches (no slouches there) and team.

He can be seen at most all St X's matches coaching the JVs. That's what you call giving back. Here, in Kentucky not in Indiana. I don't know why there would be such a lack of respect except for envy.

i never said that this generation was terrible...there are good wrestlers but the statement that harrison was maybe they best to come out of ky was not even close....everyone says they dont count they mourton bros because they come from out of state  and that just proves that ky wrestling is so far behind other states..i love ky wrestling  but the competition is not good.....basically i just wanted to get out that courtney is not the best to come out of ky...(i still think he is good though , no one get upset)

i never said that this generation was terrible...there are good wrestlers but the statement that harrison was maybe they best to come out of ky was not even close....everyone says they dont count they mourton bros because they come from out of state   and that just proves that ky wrestling is so far behind other states..i love ky wrestling  but the competition is not good.....basically i just wanted to get out that courtney is not the best to come out of ky...(i still think he is good though , no one get upset)

I'm going to borrow an idea from dinubus and say that if you are going to make a comment like that about Courtney, then you probably should have some sort of logic or criteria to base it on.  And I find it hard to believe that there is any criteria where Courtney would not even be close to another KY wrestler, ever.  If/when he becomes a 4-time state champ I think it is a no brainer that he is one of the best ever.  And you could make a pretty good argument that with the 3 he has already won (with a nice run as an 8th grader) at tough weight classes, he is already there no matter what happens this season.

Knable was aggressive, strong and in shape but his technique lacked.  He was decent on top but on his feet the only takedown I ever remember seeing him get was a straight double that he shot from way out.  If he had wrestled in Ohio I don't know if he would have ever even placed at the state tournament.  Even if he hadn't been injured I don't think he would have done much at Indiana.  One of the Woodford wrestlers was at Indiana at the same time and reportedly beat on Knable and said he got pushed around the room.

to brag about harrison then diss knable is retarded seeing that knable a was a 4 timer too..  look at who harrison wrestles  there is no competition ..  he is good but no better than a lot of others..you can say that he is maybe in the top 50 to come out of ky but not the best  i can name a few who i think were better(my opinion) wolisifer  knable    murton bros  joe carr  there are several other wrestlers that came just from woodford that were just as good as courtney...i cant think of a lot of names but they are there....these are just my opinions and some people say i am wrong but it dont matter....i think what i think and others think what they think

Knable was aggressive, strong and in shape but his technique lacked.  He was decent on top but on his feet the only takedown I ever remember seeing him get was a straight double that he shot from way out.  If he had wrestled in Ohio I don't know if he would have ever even placed at the state tournament.  Even if he hadn't been injured I don't think he would have done much at Indiana.  One of the Woodford wrestlers was at Indiana at the same time and reportedly beat on Knable and said he got pushed around the room.

That must of been one great double to get him 4 state championships.

That must of been one great double to get him 4 state championships.

Lol that is a funny comment.  It was a pretty good double but he wouldn't have even got to Joe Joe or Ian Horn's leg.  When I think about if a wrestler is great or not I think about if they could compete with the best out of state and I don't think Knable could.  I guess he proved that when he went to Indiana and got stomped in the room.  I am saying this as a wrestler who got beat soundly by Knable twice our junior years but has had a taste of the best from Ohio and PA.

The only Woodford wrestler who I would put above Courtney for sure is Joe Jr.  Maybe Starks, Horn, Chris Dunn, or Jeff Fitch (but I never saw him wrestle).

To say that Courtney is not in the top ten ever from KY is laughable.  You do realize you're witnessing (if he pulls through again this year) the ONLY 6x state placer ever right?  He has proven that he can compete out of state and I know from wrestling with him that he can step into a college program and immediately make an impact.  Actually he should have won it his eighth grade year as well but was screwed in the semis against the Wayne Co kid who he beat like 10-1 at state duals.

look at who harrison wrestles   there is no competition ..

Lets Take a look...

Eighth Grade Year (130 Pounds): 3rd Place (4-1); Lost in the semi-finals to the eventual champion whom he (as stated above) beat like 10-1 at state duals. Notable Matches: Quarter Finals he beat Bryan Peace 9-1, Then in the 3rd place match he PINNED Bryan Peace in 1:49.

Ninth Grade Year (145 Pounds): 1st Place (5-0); Pinned or Tech Falled up to semi-finals when he beat Rob Aylor (Ryle/Eventual Third Placer) 4-0, In the finals he beat Pat Banks (Larue/Last person ever to beat Courtney in Kentucky at State Duals again, as mentioned previously) 4-2. Note: Pat Banks beat Mitch Ervin 11-4 in Semi-Finals.

Tenth Grade Year (145 Pounds): 1st Place (5-0); Pinned in the first and second rounds, as well as Semi-Finals. He Pinned Daniel Thueneman (Scott County) in Overtime. Majored Tim Winchester in the quarterfinals, and Beau Sanders in the Finals. NOTE: In the finals at 152 Mitch Ervin beat Pat Banks and went on to win MOW.

Eleventh Grade Year (145 Pounds): 1st Place (5-0); MOW. PINNED OR TECHED THROUGHOUT THE STATE TOURNAMENT. DID NOT GIVE UP A SINGLE POINT THE ENTIRE STATE TOURNAMENT. Pinned Beau Sanders in the finals.

Twelfth Grade Year: ???

Its really hard to say that Harrison hasn't faced any good competition what with Bryan Peace, Pat Banks, Beau Sanders, and you could throw in Mitch Ervin. These statistics obviously prove that Courtney is top three all time. I predict him pinning through state again this year, then how would that change peoples opinions i wonder?

Also note that he was competing at 130 and 145 his eighth and ninth grade years, that is very impressive in itself.

Lets Take a look...

Eighth Grade Year (130 Pounds): 3rd Place (4-1); Lost in the semi-finals to the eventual champion whom he (as stated above) beat like 10-1 at state duals. Notable Matches: Quarter Finals he beat Bryan Peace 9-1, Then in the 3rd place match he PINNED Bryan Peace in 1:49.

Ninth Grade Year (145 Pounds): 1st Place (5-0); Pinned or Tech Falled up to semi-finals when he beat Rob Aylor (Ryle/Eventual Third Placer) 4-0, In the finals he beat Pat Banks (Larue/Last person ever to beat Courtney in Kentucky at State Duals again, as mentioned previously) 4-2. Note: Pat Banks beat Mitch Ervin 11-4 in Semi-Finals.

Tenth Grade Year (145 Pounds): 1st Place (5-0); Pinned in the first and second rounds, as well as Semi-Finals. He Pinned Daniel Thueneman (Scott County) in Overtime. Majored Tim Winchester in the quarterfinals, and Beau Sanders in the Finals. NOTE: In the finals at 152 Mitch Ervin beat Pat Banks and went on to win MOW.

Eleventh Grade Year (145 Pounds): 1st Place (5-0); MOW. PINNED OR TECHED THROUGHOUT THE STATE TOURNAMENT. DID NOT GIVE UP A SINGLE POINT THE ENTIRE STATE TOURNAMENT. Pinned Beau Sanders in the finals.

I would add that Aylor was the returning state champ from 140 the previous year.

Lets Take a look...

lets not forget about his 7th grade year, didnt he place that year as well?

lets not forget about his 7th grade year, didnt he place that year as well?

Yes as I mentioned in my last post will, barring a horrible injury or tournament, be a 6x state placer.  He placed 8th at 119 losing to Kellen Russell I believe from Ryle in the 7th place match.  Even Joe Joe won his first title at the middle school and underclassmen loaded 103; he wasn't even a starter as a 7th grader.