Sign in to follow this  
kdsmith27

Campbellsville University team preview 2008-09

Campbellsville University team preview 2008-09

2007-08 dual record: 12-10

East Region Finish: 3rd Place

National Finish: 14th

Starters lost: 125- James hicks 2x national Qualifier ;133- Kaci Payne 4x National Qualifier and 2x Scholar Athlete; 141- Kyle Norred 3x national Qualifier and 2x Scholar Athlete; Marc Macias 2x National Qualifier 149-Josh Mason National Qualifier; 157- David Clemens National Runner up and 3x All-American;165-Chris Branam 3x National Qualifier and Scholar Athlete 174-Johnny Sinchok National Qualifier 184-Josh Deadrick 2x National Qualifier and 2x Scholar Athlete.

Returning wrestlers with Varsity experience: 141 Zach Flake National Champion  in 2007, 6th place in 2008; 157 George Sheppard 7th place in 2008; 197 Glen Jackson 3x All-American with finishes of 6th, 5th, 6th; 165 Bryan Wells Top 12 in 2008; 285 Chad Brown 2x National Qualifier, 157 James Linker National Qualifier, 149 Jairus Murton National Qualifier and Scholar Athlete;125 Daniel Rucker

The Tigers will be flying under the radar in the early part of the season. However, by mid season, Coach James expects this team to be right back near the top of the NAIA standing and in a position to compete for All American honors and National Titles in Oklahoma City.  With three new assistant coaches making an impact and a room full of talented, hard working newcomers this is sure to be an exciting year for Campbellsville University wrestlers and fans. 

125 Pounds

With a couple new recruits certifying up at 133 this weight class is not as deep as some others, but still very talented. Sophomore Daniel Rucker, Freshman Johnny Papesh and Freshman Jarvis Elam will all compete for the starting spot against McKendree on November 6th. Rucker does have the most experience of this group and has competed well for us in the past. He could be ready for a break out year. Papesh and Elam were both accomplished high school wrestlers with Papesh being a 4x Ohio State placer and Elam being a nationally ranked Kentucky High School State Champion. Most likely scenario will have Elam redshirting this year while Papesh and Rucker push each other and keep us very strong and competitive at 125.

133 pounds

A deep weight class with several wrestlers competing for varsity action and the chance to start against McKendree. Several Freshman and Redshirt Freshman Joseph Neel are all competing for this spot. Neel continues to work hard and has looked good during the pre season workouts. The four freshman that could compete here have a combined 11 state medals between them. Andrew Clark won 2 state medals in Ohio and is very talented. Cody Vinsant is a tall, lanky wrestler growing into his frame. He placed 3x

whatever happened to jacob murton?  is he still wrestling?

I was thinking the same thing while reading it.  What weight is Jarius going to be at as well?  Its good to see a lot if Kentucky boys there.  Go James Linker!!!

I was thinking the same thing while reading it.  What weight is Jarius going to be at as well?  Its good to see a lot if Kentucky boys there.  Go James Linker!!!

James Linker smells like old pizza

Jarius is no longer wrestling. He had shoulder surgury last year and helps out with the team, but not wrestling anymore.

Still wondering about Jacob Murton, sorry to hear Jarius got hurt.  Is Jacob still wrestling there?  If so, what's his projected weight and what's his national rank.  Just curious.

Still wondering about Jacob Murton, sorry to hear Jarius got hurt.  Is Jacob still wrestling there?  If so, what's his projected weight and what's his national rank.  Just curious.

I believe Jacob is wrestling but i do not know his projected weight.

I believe Jacob is wrestling but i do not know his projected weight.

Talked with coach James this last weekend. Jacob is out with a spine injury. Don't think he will be back either.

Talked with coach James this last weekend. Jacob is out with a spine injury. Don't think he will be back either.

oh i spoke with some of the wrestlers and they said he was coming back next semester..

That sucks, sorry to hear that for him.  Hope he recovers well and everything outside of wrestling is fine.

Jacob is coming back in Jan--he asked coach after our ranking matches--

Mat wrestler--doesnt matter where you are from--- you are NOT in our practice room

Just keeping up with Ky wrestlers???

It is one thing to keep up and another to try to bring them down.

Jacob is coming back in Jan--he asked coach after our ranking matches--

Mat wrestler--doesnt matter where you are from--- you are NOT in our practice room

Just keeping up with Ky wrestlers???

It is one thing to keep up and another to try to bring them down.

He isn't trying to bring down Ky wrestlers, he merely stated that Campbellsville is in a down/rebuilding year and that he/she doesn't really see them (Campbellsville) performing as well as everyone is used to.

No, that is not what he said. He may have meant to sound supportive but that is not the way it came out. ---Or is it he supports Ky wrestlers if the attend Cumberland?

Campbellsville is in trouble.... I really dont see them winning anything.

That is all he/she said. Cleary not trying to downgrade or bash anybody. It doesn't really seem like he/she meant it to sound supportive either, just stating his/her own opinion.

Can we please not let this turn into a scream fight please... lets just drop it.

I have really been impressed with all i have seen and with all the people i have met that are involved with the Campbellsville program.Seem like a great bunch of wrestlers and coaches.