the man

state dual

Here is what i have come down to... There are teams that have many good wrestlers and usually do pretty well in tournaments(these are the teams that are ranked high up on KWCA). Now there are many teams that for whatever reason do rather poorly in tournies; having only a few place, but they always wrestle incredible in dual meets (these are the teams that get invited to state duals even when others are ranked higher).

I agree with HHS dad region three could get at least one team in. I also believe the Harr. county and Mc Central will do great. 8)

:shock: McCreary did not get invited... :shock:

Region eight doesn't have regional duals, so the top 2 teams does not always get to go. McCreary's coach has tried to set up numerous duals with Sheldon Clark, but they wouldn't dual us. We was even going to go there at any date/time that they wanted but no reply.

A couple of weights that I will be watching are 130 and 171. At 130 9 of my top 10 will be competing and at 171 11 of my top 13. That should provide for some exciting wrestling. Of course, strategy may mess some of that up with weight class shifting. The weakest classes look like 140 (only 3 top 10) and HWT (only 4 top 10). But those guys are still scoring team points and will play a big role in the outcome of some of these duals.

I believe we went throught this once before but a recap.

1. The state duals are not state sanctioned. The Kentucky Wrestling Coaches Association holds this event.

2. Every region 1-8 gets two teams entered into the state duals

3. Every region must come up with their own criteria on how their teams will be selected.

4. When the teams are selected by each region the names are sent to the coaches assosiation and then if any of those teams are unable to come then alternartanes teams are choosen.

5. Henry Clay (team hosting the event) will get the 1st spot open by another team unable to come.

6. As for how the alternate teams are choosen I don't completely know.

The bottom line is that every region is able to send 2 teams to the state duals. Teams decline for numerous reasons. (prior commitments, don't think they can compete, ect.)

I think they should do away with State Duels all together; who picks the team anyway.

Say it aint so....the state duals (while not KHSAA sanctioned) are VERY important to those of us teams who can compete for the title year in and year out. Most other wrestling states have some kind of state duals format. Evene the NCAA and other college divisions have their own national duals. I actually got to see the last day of this competition at Ohio State a few years ago where for the first time ever, the D1, D2, D3 and NAIA duals all took place on the same weekend. We look forward to this competition every year and make winning it one of our #1 goals. Region 1 teams have notoriously not been a part of this (other than Union County) over the last several years and I really don't know why. Maybe there is a big tournament in TN you all go to to help you place higher at state in February. I absolutely love the competition at the duals and this year especially looks to be set up for some dandy duals as well as individual matches. If we are to really promote wrestling in KY then we need to only hype the duals up and get them KHSAA sanctioned...not do away with them as you suggest.

I believe the KHSAA has at one time asked if wrestling wanted this event to be sanctioned. I think the overall consencus was no. If the state sanctioned this event then they would set up rigid rules on who may attend the tournament. It would prabably result in the tournament not having 16 teams in it sometimes.

As for the region 1 teams, I believe they do not attend because of travel reasons. This is a long trip for some of these teams.

These teams would have to leave very early in the morning to make the weigh ins on time. Or they would have to come up the night before. (This option is expensive and many of the schools cannot afford this expense)

The bottom line is that it must be a priority. Regions 1 and 8 have to take responsibility and ownership of their sport in their areas of the state. Geographically, we're not that big of a state. Look at Texas, Oklahoma or even Georgia. Expense may be a factor in regards to the travel aspect, but how many opportunities do some of these guys have to get to see their state capitol and Lexington? If Larue can do it, why not them? Canter is an exceptional coach, in that he has brought success to such a small school in an area with not nearly the resources that many of the larger schools enjoy. He has touched many lives and should be commended.

I think the state duals could move be moved from year to year from Lexington to Louisville and that way every other year it would be easier on the western and eastern teams. As for the coaches assications needs to put aside their like and dislikes for teams and envite the best teams from each regions. The excuse of turning down state duals becasue you have another comment should not be used. As a coach you should be striving to make it to state duals and leave that date open on your schedule. If you don't make it that year then I am sure you can either get in a smaller tourney our even take that weekend off and just have pratice. I do feel for the most part that the coaches do their best to get the right schools to come and I do feel every region should be represented. They can't make everyone happy so just move forward and we will see what this weekend holds in store.

Elizabethtown would be a great place for state duals. Central Hardin has the best "gym" that I have been to for wrestling with plenty of room on the floor and in the stands. The second floor walkway at the end of the gym is great for non-intrusive filming and Etown has plenty of affordable dining and hotels (and it's wet now for those of you who imbibe in the spirits). Ask anyone whose been to the middle school state tourney and I think they'll vouch for the amenities. Best of all, E'town is very centrally located (bout 4 - 4.5 hours from all extremes of the state...wonder if that's why it's called the "Hub City"? My vote is for CHHS.

I think what many of you forget is that wrestling in a minor sport in many of the school districts. They get little to no money for thier programs. If to many of them had to drive 3-4 hours for a tourney they would not attend.

It is impossible to leave that date open for the state duals. If you don't make the duals you have an open date. Many coaches will not except that. If everyone did this then there would be no tourneys available.

As for some of the coaches on the boarders they have the oportunity to attend tourneys that are tougher than the state duals. It took many of them several years to get invited to these tourneys and if they refuse to go one year they may never get back in.

With the state duals being in Lex/Lou area they are centralized around where most of the teams in Ky are located.

By putting the duals in E-town most of the teams will have a 3 hour drive to get there. Most of these teams cannot afford to spend the night. At $30-50 a room that gets expensive. Plus paying a bus driver for an overnight stay.

I know that the middle school state tourney is there and I know many who will be leaving that morning to weigh in at 7:00 A.M. Leaving at 3-4 in the morning is pretty early to start the day.

Guest DAWG6
Who made it out of the 4 pools to wrestle in semis' date=' they should be over by now.[/quote']

From what I was told the semi's are:

LaRue vs. Trinity

South Oldham vs. Woodford.

I don't know anything about individuals or other matches.

The bottom line is that it must be a priority. Regions 1 and 8 have to take responsibility and ownership of their sport in their areas of the state. quote]

I wrestled for Caldwell Co. for many years. We went to State Duals a few times, when we had a team that could compete. We never could fill a full team, but we had 5-7 guys that could wrestle with anyone. Coach Walls stopped going because it was hard to go year after year and be down 18 or so points right off the bat.

Guest DAWG6

With so many top ranked wrestlers at the duals:

Did any good matches happen or individual upset :?:

Some of the teams in the ppols had to have ranked kids match up :idea:

:shock: McCreary did not get invited... :shock:

Region eight doesn't have regional duals' date=' so the top 2 teams does not always get to go. McCreary's coach has tried to set up numerous duals with Sheldon Clark, but they wouldn't dual us. We was even going to go there at any date/time that they wanted but no reply.[/quote']

I talked to the Sheldon Clark Coach today and he said that is absolutley not true!! He said Mc never tried contacting them and when SC and MC were both at Bourbon County you never asked for a dual.

Guest DAWG6
I believe the best match of the day was the Starks vs Jones match' date=' just my personal opinion, there were alsmost too many good matches to count.[/quote']

Who won :roll:

Guest jp

Did any of these ranked nineteens meet :?:

PD Tyler Voth

SO Daniel Murner

Wood Co John Smith

Sen John Chui

Way Co Bryan Daniels

Cam Co Talon Deinlein

Lar Co Darwin Perez

SK Dusty Brown

HC Cliff Cornett