Sign in to follow this  
southern135

2008 state(random talk)

Mat mama I am not trying to belittle you, but you and others on this site have made comments about officials.  I am a spectator and participate in a number of sports and officiating is a job with few thanks.  Calls are made on a split second decision.  From my vision point the guys should be given praze for there efforts and not belittled. 

I have enjoyed watching cheeriing & yellying at Ky torneys u may think I am a crazy  Mom but I enjoy watching all of u guys wrestle & made a lot of friends in my short time here in Ky as we came here from atlanta, I have turned my FROG over too Lenz's mom always FROG I am sad that my son is done but he accomplished more than I ever expected he took 5th today but in alot of other teams coaches eyes he was #1 with his attitude respect & his FROG God BLESS EVERYONE we will miss all of you ....

FROG>>>>>

We will miss you leaning over the rail when he wrestled  :-)

Mat mama I am not trying to belittle you, but you and others on this site have made comments about officials.  I am a spectator and participate in a number of sports and officiating is a job with few thanks.  Calls are made on a split second decision.  From my vision point the guys should be given praze for there efforts and not belittled. 

ulgrad,

If you had posted here much you would know this thread is kind of a tradition. Every year after the state tournament, people all get together and talk a little trash. The official start date for complaining about refs is the day after state tournament. There's talk about who stalled, who tapped out and who would win pound for pound between Trinity's 103 and Woodford's heavyweight. Don't get to worked up over the ref posts, it's just a tradition that isn't going to change anything! Nothing real serious is going to happen here just a little fun! Most of it will be forgotten by next season and we'll all start a new season of seeing who we like!

It's also because they are the ones who are able to afford to take off work for 2-3 days or can even get off work.  For what they get paid to do it it is hard/not possible for some refs to go. 

Coach, that isn't accurate so don't perpetuate lies and crap. Having talked to most of the officials in the state, I haven't found a single one who has turned down the request to work when the state called. Not a single one. Now are some not officiating AT ALL during the season due to conflicts, probably so. But to imply that there are better officials who somehow turned down the state because of work, just isn't true.

Coach, that isn't accurate so don't perpetuate lies and crap. Having talked to most of the officials in the state, I haven't found a single one who has turned down the request to work when the state called. Not a single one. Now are some not officiating AT ALL during the season due to conflicts, probably so. But to imply that there are better officials who somehow turned down the state because of work, just isn't true.

Unless you've talked to all officials,you're comment is also opinion.

I think highly of Jimmy Shaw and Dave Barnett.

Shaw??? The Joe Neely want-a-be.  Mr. arrogant himself? To me he puts to much emphasis on himself and not enough on the wrestling.

Barnett and Shumate two of the best all around.

Who was the guy in the long johns :evil:

That was me. I hope that lives on forever. Excuse my use of slang [i use it very often] but I was BALLIN' in my long johns and old school singlet. My leg was swollen and looked like it had elephantitis but I thought that maybe the sweet singlet would have scared Mitch into submission. :-D

Haha, that is one clown I highly doubt anyone would be scared of though.

It was pretty funny. I had the trip set of perfect but I didn't take it because I thought we were going out of bounds. The second I looked at the ref Mitch tripped me. lol. I was laughing before I even hit the ground. I'll admit to not wrestling to win. I was wrestling to spare my leg. Still lasted longer than some other people. :-D

That was me. I hope that lives on forever. Excuse my use of slang [i use it very often] but I was BALLIN' in my long johns and old school singlet. My leg was swollen and looked like it had elephantitis but I thought that maybe the sweet singlet would have scared Mitch into submission. :-D

I was going to say something about the singlet but decided not to.  I thought that was what was given to you, never would have guessed you wore it voluntarily :-D

Also who thought the playing of "My Old Kentucky Home" could be so boring?

Yes, it was. And could we not get a decent copy of it? I love the song -- it represents Kentucky, but it belongs at the Derby, not an indoor wrestling championship in the wintertime. Oh, well. I give the KHSAA credit for trying.

Mat Mama, I think you should be an official.  You seem to have all the right calls. You seem to know 4 refs only.  Do you know the others and how many times each has been at state.  I have seen them all at tournaments all year and they are the best.  They are called back for a reason.  Lots of people want jobs but can not do them.  Maybe, they can add your name to the job list next year. 

Uh oh, UL, you had better get over on the High School Wrestling discussion board and tell them to stop complaining about the refs!

Also who thought the playing of "My Old Kentucky Home" could be so boring?

Yes, it was. And could we not get a decent copy of it? I love the song -- it represents Kentucky, but it belongs at the Derby, not an indoor wrestling championship in the wintertime. Oh, well. I give the KHSAA credit for trying.

I agree, the place was electric and then you play My old KY home and it's a downer.

I like Barnett which he is hands downt he best. Cole is another very good ref. I just think Catan does not belong there. Half the time he is to lazy to get in a decent position to count bank points... I mean come on if you are really to lazy to get your butt on the ground and count you dont belong there!

WOW, lies and crap?  I know for sure of one ref that couldn't do it this year because of work issues...which is the reason I said that.  And i know a few years ago Barnett couldn't do it because it fell on his national guard duty and couldn't get out of it...so I know it happens and it is true.  Chris Shaw was listed as a ref for the state tournament originally anyone know why he didn't do it?  I saw him there on Friday for a little while.

WOW, lies and crap?   I know for sure of one ref that couldn't do it this year because of work issues...which is the reason I said that.  And i know a few years ago Barnett couldn't do it because it fell on his national guard duty and couldn't get out of it...so I know it happens and it is true.  Chris Shaw was listed as a ref for the state tournament originally anyone know why he didn't do it?  I saw him there on Friday for a little while.

Chris was never listed as a ref for this year's tournament because he didn't officiate this year while finishing his masters. And one of the West Virginia guys who does a heck of a job had already said he had Air Force duties that weekend, but he supposedly told KHSAA that information early in the school year. I do have the good fortune of talking to all of the referees who are worth a dime and no one that I talked to turned it down.

WOW, lies and crap?   I know for sure of one ref that couldn't do it this year because of work issues...which is the reason I said that.  And i know a few years ago Barnett couldn't do it because it fell on his national guard duty and couldn't get out of it...so I know it happens and it is true.  Chris Shaw was listed as a ref for the state tournament originally anyone know why he didn't do it?  I saw him there on Friday for a little while.

Liza Crap,

A girl I went out with in college.

I was just wondering about Chris because he is listed in the handbook that all coaches get in their packets as being a ref for the 2008 tournament so i was wondering about that as I never saw him officiate this year like I have in years past.  The masters would explain that I guess. 

Chris was never listed as a ref for this year's tournament because he didn't officiate this year while finishing his masters. And one of the West Virginia guys who does a heck of a job had already said he had Air Force duties that weekend, but he supposedly told KHSAA that information early in the school year. I do have the good fortune of talking to all of the referees who are worth a dime and no one that I talked to turned it down.

Catan Rules and Shumate is the best of all.  Barnet is not too shabby but shumate hands down is the best ref in our state.  He is always fair and consistent and I challenge one person on here to point out one bad call he made.  He is always working hard on the mat and trying to make sure the best wrestler wins.  But you gotta love catan.  Shown\manship alone places hin\m top three.