Sign in to follow this  
Danger

Fargo Nationals and other major stages for wrestling

I'm planning on going to Fargo this summer along with the usual freestyle tournies that take place every weekend during the off-season. Does anyone else plan on attending some national level tournies?

Cool. I go to tournies every weekend but they usually aren't very good. Some others, though, like the Central National qualifier and Cinci 3-way are a little better. You can qualify for Fargo pretty easily if you just win Freestyle/Greco state.

Coach Gercak plans to coach Freestyle and Greco at KCD again this spring and summer.  He welcomes anyone who is interested in working hard.  I'm sure he'll be taking wrestlers to all the regional and some of the big National tournaments.

what are the dates looking to wrestle in some of these national events this summer

I'm not sure of the exact dates. Practices at the KCD club are two days a week and i'm sure you could find out all the dates through then. There is also a good club at Iroqious High School where Derek Nickel and some other good wrestlers work at two days a week. You can get a full week of good, technical practice and at least a day or two of quality wrestling in. That's not to mention camps, clinics, etc. Will definately help boost you to that next level.

Indiana has a lot of tournaments during the summer. We might or might not be talking about the same tournament, Dixie Nationals in North Carolina, two day tournament?? I'm considering going to the AAU Grand Nationals in Detroit and you place top four there you get to wrestle in the Tournament of Champions in Ohio. Is there a group of people that go to a lot of tournaments through out summer?

Yes. Pretty much, if you bring up a tournament at one of the two clubs I mentioned and other people are interested you will be able to have a ride and people to go with. The West Virginia national tourney is also one that i'm interested in if anybody has been eyeing it.

Yes. Pretty much, if you bring up a tournament at one of the two clubs I mentioned and other people are interested you will be able to have a ride and people to go with. The West Virginia national tourney is also one that i'm interested in if anybody has been eyeing it.

Danger, rather than so many tournaments in the summer, have you considered an intensive camp?  One that I would highly recommend, but it not for the faint of heart, is the J Rob camp at the University of Minnesota  (http://www.jrobinsonwrestlingcamps.com/wrestling/).  Check it out.  It's not cheap but it sure helps you get to the next level.

Check out www.themat.com  There should be a link to all States USAW clubs, tournaments both regional and national tournaments. 

Also, PM kdsmith, as I sure he will turn you in the right direction.  check on the usa/freestyle forum on this site.  You won't find it here. 

as far as fs/gr wrestling goes, there is a league in Cincinnati, and there are tournaments there almost every weekend.  i think they get started in april.  they don't advertise them very well, other than through emails.  they also have weekly scrimmages.  the catch is they combine schools to form a club since the numbers go way down in the off season.  for example harrison ohio had the "cornhuskers" club, and they combined Harrison, Ross, and like 3 other schools.  i have talked to some of the coaches over there, and they will welcome out of area teams in their league.  i'm sure if some louisville area teams were interested, they could combine a couple of schools and join that league.

the really nice thing about usaw & fs tournaments is they do not have a 5 match rule, and they run their brackets "oddly".  I don't fully understand how it worked, but it was based on a point system....the net result is....every bracket is potentially round robin.  if you show up and have 8 kids in a bracket you may get 7 matches.  enter multiple brackets, and you may be able to do this twice.  you will get a LOT of matches in each tournament.  the matches are quicker though, and they have mandatory rest between periods so it's not like you're going to drop dead after 10 matches.

kdsmith or coach g probably know of the cincinnati league and how to get started there....if they do not, and you are interested, pm me and i will try to find a contact.