Sign in to follow this  
Wildblueeyes

JV State

We had JV regionals here at Moore last night. I am ironing out the final details for state with Coach Tichenor of Fern Creek and his AD. I will get you the final details asap. The date is Jan.26th at Fern Creek.

We had JV regionals here at Moore last night. I am ironing out the final details for state with Coach Tichenor of Fern Creek and his AD. I will get you the final details asap. The date is Jan.26th at Fern Creek.

Clarification: Will the JV State Championship will be held at Fern Creek or at Moore HS?

JV state is a joke. It is a waste of time, money, and money. Refs and coaches time is completely wasted.

:mrgreen:

There are schools out there that do have teams big enough to field a complete line-up for JV....and then some.  I hardly think that giving these young men (or women) a tournament is a waste of time or money.  I can't think of a better way to build depth in a program, actually.  My guess is that if the coaches felt it was a waste of time they wouldn't have supported it.  I say good luck to all of the wrestlers at the tournament. 

Last year when Coach Thomas, Coach Miracle and I decided to try it we figured it would be a good idea to do it as it would give the kids who are otherwise just getting beat on in practice against better kids and thrown into a varsity lineup on occasion and beat on something to shoot for at the end of the year.  On top of them feeling better and having a goal at the end of the year it will give them more mat time against like skilled opponents and many more matches by the time you include the jv regionals.  When we had our jv regionals the other day I saw more evenly matched matches than i would have at a regular tournament on the weekend.  All the kids tried hard and you could tell afterward that they were happy and proud of what they had done which is the whole point of the tournament.  I would be interested to know Mr. Holmshwt92 why you think it is a waste of time?

JV state is a joke. It is a waste of time, money, and money. Refs and coaches time is completely wasted.

:mrgreen:

Last year when Coach Thomas, Coach Miracle and I decided to try it we figured it would be a good idea to do it as it would give the kids who are otherwise just getting beat on in practice against better kids and thrown into a varsity lineup on occasion and beat on something to shoot for at the end of the year.  On top of them feeling better and having a goal at the end of the year it will give them more mat time against like skilled opponents and many more matches by the time you include the jv regionals.  When we had our jv regionals the other day I saw more evenly matched matches than i would have at a regular tournament on the weekend.  All the kids tried hard and you could tell afterward that they were happy and proud of what they had done which is the whole point of the tournament.  I would be interested to know Mr. Holmshwt92 why you think it is a waste of time?

Don't sweat it.  The majority of us in this state thank you and everyone else that are making this possible profoundly.

You & coach Thomas are doing a good thing here.  The teams that want to contend for the title in the future will not resist and will get right on board with any JV opportunities.  The teams that lag behind and ignore their jv teams, will fall further and further behind and whine about it the whole time instead of doing something about it.

JV STATE WILL BE HELD AT MOORE

I just found out today that we are able to host it at our place. We were going to host it at Fern Creek because of a Cheerleading competition that was booked at our gym but that has been moved.

I just found out today that we are able to host it at our place. We were going to host it at Fern Creek because of a Cheerleading competition that was booked at our gym but that has been moved.

will you be distributing a new flyer?

Holmshwt - I'm sorry you feel this way....Some of these JV wrestlers practice with the best guys in the state and deserve to show what they have learned.  How would you like to be used as a practice dummy all season and see limited action even though you do everything else the varsity wrestlers do????  It's can't be much fun.  If you didn't have the JV wrestlers the varsity wouldn't have many choices in who they work with.  That only hurts the varsity wrestlers.  I think it time that we give the JV wrestlers the recognition that they deserve.  That's just my two cents worth!

I know there is one region that didn't send anyone and there was another region that only consisted of one team.  There was ideally going to be 16 kids in each weight class, but now the most there will be is 13 due to those two regions.  That would still be a good turnout for the first year, hopefully next year all schools will be able to participate and get it done in time.

I think this is a good building tool for the younger wrestlers. They need it for their confidence. I just wish our JV regionals would have been run a little better. We were in Frankfort, KY at the high school. They had some good refs but those kids wrestled 3 matches in an hour and a half. My son went 3-0 with 3 pins and didn't even get a medal. If we are going to get these JV wrestlers some equal matches, they should get some other payoff for their hard work and efforts. Hopefully by next season, things will be more organized for the JV wrestlers. They are our future state champions BTW.

Each regional tournament was left up to the individual regions, so however it was run was a result of the (hopefully) cumulative coaches input.  We did have medals for our top two finishers but I understand if other regions didn't that was their own choice.  I know some kids had matches close together as well, but they were probably trying to squeeze it into a small time frame the same as everyone else.  I am glad for you that your son won and did well, hope to see you and everyone else at Moore next Saturday.  I agree with you that hopefully next year it will all be more organized, but ultimitely each region is up to the coaches. 

I think this is a good building tool for the younger wrestlers. They need it for their confidence. I just wish our JV regionals would have been run a little better. We were in Frankfort, KY at the high school. They had some good refs but those kids wrestled 3 matches in an hour and a half. My son went 3-0 with 3 pins and didn't even get a medal. If we are going to get these JV wrestlers some equal matches, they should get some other payoff for their hard work and efforts. Hopefully by next season, things will be more organized for the JV wrestlers. They are our future state champions BTW.

Each regional tournament was left up to the individual regions, so however it was run was a result of the (hopefully) cumulative coaches input.  We did have medals for our top two finishers but I understand if other regions didn't that was their own choice.  I know some kids had matches close together as well, but they were probably trying to squeeze it into a small time frame the same as everyone else.  I am glad for you that your son won and did well, hope to see you and everyone else at Moore next Saturday.  I agree with you that hopefully next year it will all be more organized, but ultimitely each region is up to the coaches. 

Hey, at least you got the ball rolling.  Keep it going and improve a little each year.  It will be a great thing for 9th & 10th graders in the future.

We're trying to get a regional going in Region 5, just getting a day that works for all of us is hard.  Coach Fiser volunteered to hold it next wed, with a back up day of thursday at North.  We're just trying to get everyone on the same page, so hopefully we'll be sending kids to Moore as well.

We hope that you do, we were surprised when we were told region 1 wasn't going to do it, unless we were misinformed but Coach Thomas hadn't heard anything yet.

We're trying to get a regional going in Region 5, just getting a day that works for all of us is hard.  Coach Fiser volunteered to hold it next wed, with a back up day of thursday at North.  We're just trying to get everyone on the same page, so hopefully we'll be sending kids to Moore as well.