Sign in to follow this  
thegreatgatsby

Regions 3,4 & 5; same day, same place, same time

Wow, controversy.  You have to love it.  According to Scott Greenwald, the Seneca AD, Jerry Wyman (who is the head of all the Jeff. Co. ADs) proposed the idea and the metro county ADs agreed.  That supposedly included Oldham, Bullitt, & Meade Co.  I guess he was either wrong or I would hope the North AD has been informed about the change.  By the way for Grappler, metro county actually encompasses Oldham & Bullitt.  I guess I should have said metro counties.  Anyway, Meade is not part of the metro county, but agreed anyway, once again supposedly.

I think it's a neat idea to have all of them at the same time/place.  I don't think it should be done if all three regions are not on board.  If one is going to have it at their own place than the others should as well.  It's now really odd for us to have our regional tournament in the area of the region that is not going to even be there, and for region 3 it is a much farther drive for those guys to go all the way out to J-town.  I think this will overall bring less spectators who may have had a free hour or two and come by to watch their kids but won't do it now as the drive alone from Dixie highway area to jtown would take an hour or more there and back.  I guess all that can be done is for the coaches to voice their opinions to their ad's as well as the county ad and go from there!

I agree that if 1 region is not going to do it, then the other 2 metro regions should go back to having it at their designated sites.  In hindsight, I don't blame North Oldham one bit for wanting to host the regional.  It is a big moneymaker, which is important regardless what people want to say.  Having it at Hoops is an unknown.  Will the school who was supposed to host get part of the concessions, will they get supplemental money for allowing the region to held elsewhere, etc.  Also, next year would the regionals roll to the next school in line or would the school who was supposed to host this year, get the regional next year?  Way too many unknowns, but it would be exciting.

I don't know, this years county ran well on 3 mats at Seneca. As long as both days start at 10 am I think 3 mats works well.

I don't think that would do any good for the county tournament.  It is large, but some weight classes would run into problems with the five match rule in one day and spread out over two days like this year ran well since it was able to start early. or if any school was able to hold four mats that was always good enough too.

The facility might make more sense to host next years Jefferson County Tournament of Champions.

As a fan of wrestling this sounds like a good idea.  You would get to see more matches.  I'm not sure how much outside interest you would generate having schools travel across the county.  The city and school system would have to advertise it like the Sweet 16 basketball tourney to get the casual fan's interest.  You have to start somewhere and wrestling is much bigger in Kentucky now than when I graduated in 1989.  So a few years from now it sound like a great idea.

The thought of having the finals run on three mats simultaneously is intriguing.  You could have each region finals on one mat.  Start with 103 and not start 112 until all 103 is finished or you could stagger the weights so the other finalists could watch their weight class in each region. Region 3 start at 103, region 4 at 112, region 5 at 119.

With more planning and negotiating the money aspects, I think this could work but not something you can throw together in a month.  Maybe Hoops can have some tourneys over the summer to get an idea of what it takes to run a wrestling tournament.

1st question.  Are all the wrestling schools part of the Metro county AD? It is obvious that Oldham Co. is not part of this. 

2nd question.  Why is it being held at a place called "HOOPS HOUSE OF BASKETBALL"? 

At first glance this seems to be a good idea.  get all the teams together for one huge event.

After thinking about it, I don't believe it is a good idea.  The regional tournament is not only to qualify individuals for the state tourney.  It is also used to build interest in your individual region.  By combining 3 regions there is no spotlight on an individual region.

As NOHS stated.  Not only is this a big money maker for the hosting school, but it also sparks interest at the school in which it is being held.  When wrestling occurs at your school, there is a higher chance of parents and students that are not affiliated with wrestling to come to the event. This sparks interest at the school.  This is why the regional tourneys are on a rotation and not always in one location. 

For Jefferson Co. this is a simple solution, probably more for cost than to spark interest.  But those schools in the region that are not part of Jefferson Co. seem to be left out of the decision.

Is this what is truly what is best for wrestling or is this just another way for schools to keep wrestling from getting the spotlight at their school?

GOO - you are scaring me to death...twice in 2 days, we are agreeing.  I also feel there would be little outside interest, so what is the big advantage towards wrestling?  NADA.  The only positive thing i could see this bringing is that as a fan you could watch 3 different finals - yes, that would be cool.  But depending on how the place is setup, can you actually sit in 1 place and see all 10 mats?  if not, then I don't see how this is even a plus.  Other than that, it sounds like Hoops has caught on to the growth of wrestling, and wants to cash in at the expense of the host schools.  What will happen is you will have the host schools lugging mats there, hoops will charge extra $$$ over what you would normally pay for a regional (can you say $10 for regionals) and they will offer some sort of token kick back to the schools and eventually that will wither away.

Dont sell your soul fools.

2nd question.  Why is it being held at a place called "HOOPS HOUSE OF BASKETBALL"? 

Because there is no "Mats House of Wrestling"  :-D

GOO - you are scaring me to death...twice in 2 days, we are agreeing.  I also feel there would be little outside interest, so what is the big advantage towards wrestling?  NADA.  The only positive thing i could see this bringing is that as a fan you could watch 3 different finals - yes, that would be cool.  But depending on how the place is setup, can you actually sit in 1 place and see all 10 mats?  if not, then I don't see how this is even a plus.  Other than that, it sounds like Hoops has caught on to the growth of wrestling, and wants to cash in at the expense of the host schools.  What will happen is you will have the host schools lugging mats there, hoops will charge extra $$$ over what you would normally pay for a regional (can you say $10 for regionals) and they will offer some sort of token kick back to the schools and eventually that will wither away.

Sounds like a county AD has a financial connection to HOOPS.  Just speculation on my part, but why else would it come up to consolidate them?

can someone tell me if this is true, my coach this is finalized and that is where it is going to be at, region 3, 4, 5 will all have their region tournment there three mats for region 3. three mats for region 4. and three mats for region 5, is this finalized or not

JMHO but I do believe that a person can only actually watch 1 match at a time. Turn your head for a moment and the match could be over.

The fans come to the regional tournaments to see their teams. More fans come out the closer to home you are.

The wrestlers get to compete for the region title and not even do it in their own region.Maybe next year all the tournaments could be held there. WCI, the Dragon, the Five Star, and all the other tournaments are what they are in a big part because of where they are held.

A regional tournament should be held in its own region.

It is hard to beleive that 1 region was dumb enough to dream this up,and even harder to beleive that 2 more agreed.

I'm a coach of a region three school.  I've heard nothing about this.  If this decision has been made I would like to know by whose authority, and why they haven't informed all concerned parties.  If this is the way they plan on doing it this year(Western was supposed to host), then I don't really have much to say. But next year when it is Bullitt Central's turn to host the regional tournament, the decision made by an arbitrary bunch of athletic directors will be trumped by the regional school's prerogative to exercise its claim as based on the rotation system that was previously agreed upon. 

It should remain in the schools. Pride, revenue, a location that's accessible for the region (well most regions).

I think Hoops will just end up botching it up and taking $ out of wrestling funds.

It is a done deal voted on by ads.  If there is a problem you would need to take it with them.  The thought was all sports are trying to get post season in one place example football at Papa Johns, softball at Tragger Stadium, volleyball at (I think) Mid-America.

JMHO but I do believe that a person can only actually watch 1 match at a time. Turn your head for a moment and the match could be over.

The fans come to the regional tournaments to see their teams. More fans come out the closer to home you are.

The wrestlers get to compete for the region title and not even do it in their own region.Maybe next year all the tournaments could be held there. WCI, the Dragon, the Five Star, and all the other tournaments are what they are in a big part because of where they are held.

A regional tournament should be held in its own region.

It is hard to beleive that 1 region was dumb enough to dream this up,and even harder to beleive that 2 more agreed.

This is right on the money.  The total number of spectators will be less.  It will be a lot of people in one space yes but the total will be less.

I visited Hoops yesterday. It is a great facility. But I am wondering about the seating. They have bleachers on both sides of the first court that will probably hold 3,500 people, but the other courts have bleachers that are only three high and would only sit 50 to 100 people.

Has anyone been there when three big games are going on at once? I would think each region would have the same number of spectators.

From what I understand - Region 5 will not be there.  It has not been agreed upon by Region 5 and that Region is to be held at North Oldham.  Thus, I wouldn't doubt the other two Regions could have some say still in the matter.

I agree...but my point about the seating was that depeding on the layout, if you have to get up and go to another gym to watch a "hyped up" match, or whatever.  I don't see that being all that advantagious.  Maybe it is, but it would depend on the seating. 

At any rate, I still think it is a way for a sports complex to tap into a very much growing market.  These same people - HOOPS of all places, wouldn't give a RIP about ky wrestling if we were about to be dropped and interest wasn't increasing.  they see the numers growing, the interest in MMA, and these guys want to tap that market and make money.  which is fine, but NOT at the expense of host schools who very much count on those funds for their program to exist!  If any school is against it, i say they tell hoops to go take a hike. 

I agree...but my point about the seating was that depeding on the layout, if you have to get up and go to another gym to watch a "hyped up" match, or whatever.  I don't see that being all that advantagious.  Maybe it is, but it would depend on the seating. 

At any rate, I still think it is a way for a sports complex to tap into a very much growing market.  These same people - HOOPS of all places, wouldn't give a RIP about ky wrestling if we were about to be dropped and interest wasn't increasing.  they see the numers growing, the interest in MMA, and these guys want to tap that market and make money.  which is fine, but NOT at the expense of host schools who very much count on those funds for their program to exist!  If any school is against it, i say they tell hoops to go take a hike. 

I could see how Hoops could help themselves and the sport too! But not sure any KHSAA events is the way to do it. I think they could develop an some off season events, tournaments, clinics, camps that they could make money on and help the sport with marketing and exposure, not to mention badly needed opportunities for wrestlers to compete and learn close to home. I wonder if they have thought of developing an off season league for youth and high school or even setting up an in season league for youth in Louisville. As much as the middle school has grown the Louisville market still has great potential.