Sign in to follow this  
grappler-of-old

Officials

so how do we get all of these refs to undergo offseason training to remain certified. I think Julian should address this. We should bring it to his attention at a meeting or during the offseason. Probably would have to be addressed in the offseason to flow into the wrestling season right.

Tough question, colonelcoach, because I think this is an issue of supply and demand.  Unless you are aware of a large number of wanna be referees, we have a limited bench.  Therefore, it is difficult to enforce additional requirements or conditions to officiate.  Somewhere along the line, individuals are making the decision not to officiate wrestling.  This does not seem to be an issue in other sports but you also don't have "all day" commitments in football, basketball, soccer or other sports.  I don't know about the pay element but it may not be worth their time.

I think the referees in ky Do the best they can with what they know, BUt I agree we need to find a way to send ky refs to better events or clinics to learn from the best out there, Also they will let ANYONE  ref in ky on acount of the One test and rules clinic and shortage of good certified referees, THere should be a longer process to determan if a referee is ready for a varsity event!

My biggest complaints with the refs; they ref one way all year, then down state totally change their habits thereby grossly confusing the wrestlers and coaches.  I am absolutely convinced the refs aggressively/foolishly call stalling down state in an attempt to showboat to their ref colleagues that they are tough on stalling.

Todd Cole is consistent ALL YEAR; free style quick pins, slow near-fall counts, quick to call stalling, picky on lining up properly. Like him or not, he only has one mode, but you know exactly what you are getting. The others down state, who knows how they are going to call a match.   

My biggest complaints with the refs; they ref one way all year, then down state totally change their habits thereby grossly confusing the wrestlers and coaches.  I am absolutely convinced the refs aggressively/foolishly call stalling down state in an attempt to showboat to their ref colleagues that they are tough on stalling.

Todd Cole is consistent ALL YEAR; free style quick pins, slow near-fall counts, quick to call stalling, picky on lining up properly. Like him or not, he only has one mode, but you know exactly what you are getting. The others down state, who knows how they are going to call a match.   

Very true.  Cole may not be everyone's favorite, but most every coach and wrestler around the state knows exactly what to expect when they step on the mat with Cole officiating.  They may not always like it, but they aren't surprised.

I would have to agree, Cole is consistant all year.  The one other aspect I like about Cole is that he allows the wrestlers to wrestle.  When Cole and Cataan ref you know it will be a rough match.  Both of these refs allow for a rough match.  They allow the kids to bang and hit the mat hard.  This is what I like to see.  We talk about other event outside of KY, this is what I see outside of KY.  Things that Ky officials call slams are routine in Ohio and are not given a second look. (Where I have seen the majority of my out of state matches, only a few in Indiana and Illinois). 

So far in this wrestling season, I am unimpressed with the officiating.  Much of the same showoff antics by one particular official who insists on the match being about him, not the wrestlers.  I don't understand why he gets away with it year after year.  I personally am sick of it.

Most of the Region 2 ref's are very good this year no complaint from any of them. The one guy from Larue Co. is making my stat girl crazy. lol. but other than that they are ok this year.

Most of the Region 2 ref's are very good this year no complaint from any of them. The one guy from Larue Co. is making my stat girl crazy. lol. but other than that they are ok this year.

:-o

:-o :? :roll: :roll: :-o

Not sure which ones you have seen. :wink:

:-o

:-o :? :roll: :roll: :-o

Not sure which ones you have seen. :wink:

No disrespect to any ref's I can't remember his name but he is the short one with the big beard.

So far in this wrestling season, I am unimpressed with the officiating.  Much of the same showoff antics by one particular official who insists on the match being about him, not the wrestlers.  I don't understand why he gets away with it year after year.  I personally am sick of it.

Sounds like Shaw to me.  :-o :evil:

man idk this guys name but he was an amazing ref...he was older had coached for like 27 years....he would call you for anything in a heart beat...he kept the moonlite duels fun...he called me for stallin when i locked up for like 5 sec. i can really respect a guy like that....he has hair thinning on the top of hes hair really old ....but man he rocked!!!!

man idk this guys name but he was an amazing ref...he was older had coached for like 27 years....he would call you for anything in a heart beat...he kept the moonlite duels fun...he called me for stalling when i locked up for like 5 sec. i can really respect a guy like that....he has hair thinning on the top of hes hair really old ....but man he rocked!!!!

Proably Mickey Walls

I love it when Cole is on my mat, I see people all around saying how they hate the way that he calls things, but like many of you have said, he is very consistent, and very good at getting the kids to actually wrestle. He hates boring matches just like the rest of us so he calls the kids for stalling very early to get them going, he also talks to you during the match, which is nice, Cole is my favorite ref, hands down.

Guest wrestler92

I think consistency is the key for any of them.  I probably saw the worst weekend of refereeing this weekend at the JCTC.  With two elder referees there and one relatively new one and then one that has been for about 6 years.  The new one was bad but he is always bad so that was to be expected.  This weekend was up and down, you never knew if stalling was going to be called in 5 seconds or if never, and it wasn't even just from one ref to another, but from one match to another by the same ref.  Really dissapointing considering three of these four will be at the state tournament I am sure. 

I think that Jeremy Callen is one of the better Refs. He is very consistent in all the matches that I have seen him in over the past 3 years.