I-pinned-em-all

Weight Descent Plan?

There appears to be inherent flaws in this descent plan, as I understand it. All, or most, scales measure weight to the 1/10 of a pound, yet the descent plan calculates to 1/100 of a pound. For example, several kids can weigh 140.02 lbs this weekend but still have to wrestle 145 lbs. Weighing to the 1/10 and calculating to the 1/100 is not only foolish but makes no academic sense. If we round to the 1/10, as scales weigh, the wrestler would weigh 140.0 lbs.

A wrestler may weigh 140.15 but the scales will round up to 140.2. But the formula should only round to the 1/10.

Any thoughts, or am I incorrect in my understanding?

140.02 would be the weight plan's calculated weight, not the weight of the wrestler. Therefore, if the plan states the minimum weight the wrestler can weigh is 140.02, they are not allowed to go to 140 for that specific day.

It doesn't make sense to calculate a person minimum weight to the 1/100 of a pound if the actual weight plugged into the formula was measured to the 1/10 of a pound. Example, when you weigh in, your weight is reported 144.2 pounds, not 144.29 pounds. They should keep the minimum weight of the wrestler for a specific day limited to 1/10 of a pound. I know of 2 kids on one Ky team that are affected by this ridiculous calculation, each one off by .02 pounds.

Doesn't the plan already adjust for a 3% margin of error? 

If so the wrestlers are already getting a little bit of weight.

This argument sounds like the discussions I have with non wrestling people.  They ask 'What difference does it make if they are .1 or .2 over the wt. class. 

My general response is that there has to be a cut off somewhere. Otherwise, if we allow wrestler A that is .1 over to wrestle then wrestler B who is .2  will be upset because he will say I'm only .1 over wrestler A.

grappler....

I think pinned them all... is just stating htat those 1/100 decimals can cause i wrestler to not be able to make the weight for an extra amount of time when if the scale weight was listed the wrestler would be shown at 140.0 instead of the weight chart reading 140.001

Maybe I don't understand the 3% margin. I guess the minimum weight calculation is already giving the wrestler the full benefit of the 3% margin and therefore they have to calculate it out to the 1/100 pound???

Just to clarify, I am not advocating a wrestler "weighing in" more than their weight class. I just didn't like the descent plans minimum weight calculation measured out to the 1/100 of a pound.

On another topic, this descent plan will force dietary compliance or else.

This will have profound impacts on kids throughout the season. Bumping up a weight group for a few duals after the holidays could result in wrestlers not being able to wrestler their desired weight for many weeks. It was not uncommon when I wrestled to see a kid 10 lbs heavier after the Holiday break. Now that would be disastrous if they actually weighed in as they can only lose 2 lbs per week max.(that's only for the heavier weights, lighter weights is less).

Practically, I believe coaches and wrestlers will simply avoid matches and weigh ins if wrestlers are too much over weight. I see this being abused by some teams.  

140.02 would be the weight plan's calculated weight, not the weight of the wrestler. Therefore, if the plan states the minimum weight the wrestler can weigh is 140.02, they are not allowed to go to 140 for that specific day.

It doesn't make sense to calculate a person minimum weight to the 1/100 of a pound if the actual weight plugged into the formula was measured to the 1/10 of a pound. Example, when you weigh in, your weight is reported 144.2 pounds, not 144.29 pounds. They should keep the minimum weight of the wrestler for a specific day limited to 1/10 of a pound. I know of 2 kids on one Ky team that are affected by this ridiculous calculation, each one off by .02 pounds.

This is true, and I got screwed by that for one tournament last year.  I don't know why Kentucky wrestling doesn't take basic http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Significant_figures into account.

Alright, since we are on the topic of weight descent plan, here is a question of which I can't seem to get an answer.  Let's say a wrestler's weight descent plan says he can weigh 140.25.  That means the minimum weight class he can wrestle for that day is 145.  I understand that, but if he weighs in at 139.8 his scale weight says 140.  I understand that.  Here is the question, weight descent plan says he can wrestle 145 which I also take as if he can wrestle one weight class up, he can also wrestle 152.  However, since the scale weight says 139.8, would he be considered to be wrestling 2 weight classes up if he goes 152 and therefore be ineligible to wrestle 152 for that day & only be able to wrestle 145?  Anyone with the answer and not a guess at what is right?

You are correct.

Your weight decent plan is separate from your actual weigh in.

If you are only allowed to weigh 145.2.  Eligibility wise (Weight loss plan) you cannot wrestle 145 even if you weigh less than 145.

If you weigh less than 145 according to the decent plan you cannot wrestle 145 which means you are eligable to wrestle 152.

The rule book states you may bump up one weight class above your actually weigh in.  Therefore in your example this wrestler would only be allowed to wrestle 152.

His decent plan does not allow him to wrestle 145 and his actual weight does not allow him to wrestle 160.

I hope this helps. 

But in the example the kid actually weighed in at 139.8, right?  So he is only eligible to wrestle 140 or 145 by the actual weighin.  So taking the descent plan into account, he is only eligible to wrestle 145 on that date.  Unless I read this too fast.

It is what it is.  It is a good structure that prevents the kind of body abuse that was common back when I wrestled.  It made the sport unpopular to parents.  Work within the guidelines.  As long as you on weight for state.

That's a good way to look at it.  These meets during the season are only preparing you for the end of the season.  If you can't make the weight you want until January, so what.  The only exception to that is the regional dual meets that decide who goes to state duals.  That can be a big deal if your team is on the bubble.  But it is what it is.  Live with it.  Mostly I have found that kids need to take more responsibility to manage their weight and coaches need to inform them and make sure they understand the consequences of being too heavy.