Sign in to follow this  
grappler-of-old

Just pondering

I was just pondering the outcome of this years wrestling season/State tournament.

After the brackets were drawn we had some unusual events happen.

1st three possible state finalists don't compete at the wrestling tournament because of injury.

Josh Cooper (Simon Kenton) gets an infection in his knee.

Matt Miller (Laure County)  breaks his finger with 5 minutes left in the last practice of the season

Adam Burdon (Ohio county) breaks his ankle comming over for the 1st day weigh ins.

Not to mention the other 5 wrestlers to be scratched after the draws for a total of 8 wrestlers injured before the beginning of the state tourney.  Has to be the most ever.

2 state champions not only do not win state but do not place top 8. 

Caleb Wood and Coty Lewis.

To top things off there are 4 great wrestlers that will graduate this year without a state title.

Adam Carr.  2 time state runner up to Sullivan placed 7th at 112 this year.

Josh Cooper 2 time state runner up

8th grade lost to Jordan Lewis

Lost a close match to Woliefer last year.

Did not wrestle this year because of injury.

Daniel Thuenerman 3 time semi-finalist

Lost to Derek Scott his sophomore year on a takedown and near fall at the end of the 3rd period.

Lost to Joe Powers his Junior year after defeating him 3-4 times throughout the year.

Lost to Harrison Courtney in overtime this year.

All three continued on to be state champions.

Pat Banks. 2 time state finalist.

Lost a close match to Harrison Courtney last year

Lost to Mitch Ervin this year who went on to win MOW.

Not to mention many other seniors that did not make it to the finals.

Congrats to all the seniors who have had great careers.  :-D

I just gave those 4 special notice because they were in the finals more than once and many believed they would or should have won a state title before they graduated. 

I agree tha Chiu was/is a great wrestler but does not fit in this catagory, there are many others of his same calaber that did not win or even make the finals.  Although he is one fo the great seniors that we will be missing next year.

Steven Butler is another example of a top wrestler that did not get to compete because of an injury.  Although I don't necessarily think he would have beaten Warner, he did split with Ashbrook and only lost to Warner 2-0.

Steven Butler is another example of a top wrestler that did not get to compete because of an injury.  Although I don't necessarily think he would have beaten Warner, he did split with Ashbrook and only lost to Warner 2-0.

he has lost to donnell davis twice though, and was losing to him when he got injured. they could have possibly been on the same side of the bracket.  maybe he could have pulled an upset at state though...no one knows. either way it's a tough break, and it sucks for woodford, they could have possibly been state champions this year with his advancement points and placement points.

I think that if Steven Butler would have came ready to wrestle he would have beaten donnel, donnell just caught him on an off day in my opinion i could have seen him upsetting warner an catching him in something funky and putting him on his back

I think that if Steven Butler would have came ready to wrestle he would have beaten donnel, donnell just caught him on an off day in my opinion i could have seen him upsetting warner an catching him in something funky and putting him on his back

Ha, your pretty funny

I don't think so, while I didn't see either match between Butler and Davis, Butler lost a close match to Ashbrook, beat him a week later, and only lost to Warner by two.  I'll agree that Warner controlled the match but with a score like that anything's possible.  With Butler's style anything would have been possible anyway, he was funky.

Here is some more info about the state tourney.

Here is the breakdown of the grade level and how many qualified in each wt. class.

Weight---7th----- 8th-----9th-----10th-----11th-----12th

103------4--------1-------18-------5-------4--------0

112------2--------3--------9-------4-------12-------2

119------1--------1--------6-------9-------10-------5

125------0--------0--------4-------7-------13-------8

130------0--------1--------5-------5-------13-------8

135------0--------2--------4-------5--------9-------12

140------0--------0--------0-------5-------13-------14

145------0--------0--------5-------5-------12-------10

152------0--------0--------2-------5-------15-------10

160------0--------0--------5-------5-------14--------8

171------0--------0--------3-------9--------6-------14

189------0--------0--------1-------11-------9-------11

215------0--------0--------2-------7-------13-------10

285------0--------0--------2-------6-------10-------14

totals----7--------8-------66------88------153------126

After looking at this I thought it interesting that the Jr. class had more qualifiers than any other grade.

We had 7 seventh graders 4 at 103

8 eigth graders with 3 at 112

9th grade dominated 103 with 18

10th grade dominated 189 with 11 (this was a suprise to me)

11th grade dominated 152 with 15

12 grade dominated 140,171, and Hwt with 14 in each.

Thats pretty interesting to look at a chart with grade level qualifers. Ive never thought of looking at state in a chart like this.

---------------1st------2nd------3rd------4th------5th------6th------7th------8th

9th grade------0--------1--------3--------2--------2--------1--------0--------1--------10

10th grade-----2--------1--------2--------1--------1--------2--------1--------2--------12

11th grade-----7--------8--------3--------6--------6--------5--------4--------5--------44

12th grade-----5--------4--------6--------5--------5--------6--------9--------6--------46

here is a chart of the placers in grade level

Can't you see i'm bored since the season is over.  :-D

---------------1st------2nd------3rd------4th------5th------6th------7th------8th

9th grade------0--------1--------3--------2--------2--------1--------0--------1--------10

10th grade-----2--------1--------2--------1--------1--------2--------1--------2--------12

11th grade-----7--------8--------3--------6--------6--------5--------4--------5--------44

12th grade-----5--------4--------6--------5--------5--------6--------9--------6--------46

here is a chart of the placers in grade level

Can't you see i'm bored since the season is over.  :-D

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but it looks like the junior class was pretty strong this year.  Look at the finalists:  1 freshman, 3 sophomores, 15 juniors, and 9 seniors.  I think the seniors will be pretty dominant next season.

I was thinking the same thing while compiling the data.

They lead almost every catagory. except the seniors had 2 more placers.

Next year should be senior dominated.

No one has mentioned Ben Rupp from Eastern, who had beaten Mason Reid at State last year and went to State four years. He would have gone five years, but in 8th grade he went to Middle School State. At that time you couldn't go to both.

Once again there are several seniors that I have not mentioned with this post.  I just thought that those that I did mention were the top of the top. 

As for not going as an 8th grader, that must have been your coaches choice.  Since the KHSAA has nothing to do with the middle school state.  A wrestler has never been denied the chance to wrestle in the vasity district or Region if they participated in the middle school state.

As for not going as an 8th grader, that must have been your coaches choice.  Since the KHSAA has nothing to do with the middle school state.  A wrestler has never been denied the chance to wrestle in the vasity district or Region if they participated in the middle school state.

I agree. I had Josh Johnson wrestle MS State and still wrestle Varsity on North Hardin for region and state x 2 years.