Sign in to follow this  
ref9137

Petition to eliminate the 5 match rule

I for one think it is time for the rule limiting a wrestler to 5 matches a day to be reviewed and changed.  The problem with the 5 match rule is it does not allow a wrestler who loses early and wrestles hard through the consis to finish his tournament.  I had this rule effect 2 wrestlers today at Middle School State (yes it was MS but still important).  One time was beneficial one hurt my kid so there is no bias.  I had one wrestler take 3rd by forefit, and one finish 6th because he had to forefit.  The wrestler who forefitted and finished 6th lost in the quarterfinals consi round and wrestled all the way back.  The athelte who had to forefit 3rd to my wrestler had the same situation.  I just dont like that a kid can put in a fulls day work then be told he cannot finish because of a stupid rule.  Most tournaments are 16 man bracket as my tournament was today why not allow a 6 or 7 match rule to allow 16 man brackets to be completed. 

I agree I saw multiple wrestlers today get stuck by the 5 match rule. remember that these kids started  at

9:40 a.m. and there last match would have started around 7:30 p.m.  this works out to about a match

every 1:30-1:45 hours.  If our wrestlers are in as good condition as we say they are, they should be able to wrestle this type of schedule. 

Yeah. i say the rule should be extended not dismissed. maybe taken to six or seven matches, not just five. Something else they could do is make it every hour between matches instead of 45 mins, that way you get more time to rest if you do have to wrestle six or seven matches. it takes alot out of you, but as long as you stay hydrated, and eat between every match, seven matches isn't as bad as some may think.

i like the modification , if you are doing a duel I can see this  5 match limit.  i feel i tourn we can waive this.  we all know that our kids are 3-5 lbs over what they weight in by the sheer fact that they eat some

during the day.

Guest wrestler92

I would like to see the five match rule go to 6 in a day, and the time limit go to 30 minutes.  A wrestler should be able to recouperate within 30 minutes to get ready for the next match.  I just hat sitting at tournaments where  we have to wait for the 45 minute rule of a wrestler and then the wait turns into an extra 20 minutes making the whole tournament that much longer if it happens a couple times. 

30 minutes is not enough time to prepare for the next match. It doesn't matter how long the crowd has to wait, its about the wrestler. You wrestle a close decision match and 30 minutes feels like 10.

Guest wrestler92

If a wrestler is in shape he should be just fine in 30 minutes, at least as good as 45 minutes will get him. 

Im glad it seems people are agreeing...but i am not trying to dismiss the rule simply extend it to 6 or 7.  and i do agree with the 45 minute rule...30 just isnt enough time 15 more minutes may not seem like much but thats 15 more minutes you have to digest some liquid or food after a close hard match.  we all know if you dont have time go digest you feel it the whole time your wrestling and it definitly effects performance.  by the time you finish, cool down, get your warm ups back on, and eat your 10-15 minutes into your break which if made 30 would only allow 15 to eat and digest.  you need that extra 15 minutes in there

I have to disagree with eliminating the 5 match rule.  This is my first year in kentucky coaching.  (After spending 30 years coaching in indiana)  This NEVER came to play in any tournment I Have seen or been associated with.

Sound like to me poor tournament planning.

remember the five match rule is for the safety of the wrestler not for a 50 cent metal or ribbon.

Remember, just one man's opinion.....

I also disagree with getting rid of the 5 match rule.  The only reason this is occuring is because the scools are overbooking their tournaments. 

Even if you overbook there is a simple solution.  Pools.  By holding a pool tourney you can hold a 16 man tourney and not break the 5 match rule.

im not worried so much about the medal or trophy.  i know the rule is for the safety of the wrestler, but i dont think extending the rule to 6 matches would put anybody at a higher risk.  a lot of matches dont even go the full 6 minutes, and espically once your in the consilation rounds (where this rule would effect people) you hve only a 1 minute first period, and a lot of conis matches are over quickly.

I also disagree with getting rid of the 5 match rule.  The only reason this is occuring is because the scools are overbooking their tournaments. 

Even if you overbook there is a simple solution.  Pools.  By holding a pool tourney you can hold a 16 man tourney and not break the 5 match rule.

western Brown's tournament is like this

Guest wrestler92

Pool tournaments I agree really aren't the best, they make sure wrestlers get their matches, but it isn't a good way of placing if a kid has one bad match, no chance to come back and avenge yourself.  A team dual tournament to maximize number of matches, but not much individual recognition.  Like others have said if you lose in the first round the other 4 matches are going to be one minute first period so you will wrestle only 2 minutes more than someone else who stayed in the winners bracket all through with one more match, so wrestle one more match and you have 3 minutes more if all the matches go full distance.  And that is something that never happens. 

Let's get rid of it, but be careful in the process. It may be wise to change it to 6 at first, or make the change for State Duels and State only. This issue did affect many kids at Middle School State. Kids that should have wrestled to "ear" their meddle didn't. Awarding a medal to a kid hat has wrestled 4 matches only because his opponent has wrestled 5 is not appropriate. The "loser" of the bout has not lost, he was denied his ability to prove himself.

Get rid of the rule so kids can wrestle.

Guest wrestler92

I wouldn't go as far as 10, that seems ridiculous for high school competition.  you can have that if you wrestle freestyle and no time waiting either.  6 should be good that would get rid of the problems in a 16 man bracket. 

i dont think the rule should be changed...i believe that any tournament that requires a kid to wrestle more than five matches should be made into a two day tournament...either that or have put a limit to the number of kids that could have entered each bracket to where there couldtn have been a possibility of more than 5 in a day

I think there should be a limit on the number of teams that participate in one tourney.  this will eliminate the possibility of reaching 5 matches.  That would also give more teams the opportunity to host quality tournaments.  Spread the competition out and let more teams benefit from hosting a tournament.  I do realize that some teams do not want to host, but I think that there would be enough that would for everyone to have a place to go. 

I agree to we should b able to have at least 10 matches a day

i wrestled at cincinatti three ways over the summer and i had 9 matches my second day...and at the end of that day (regardless of the shape your in) you are gonna hurt....wrestling 10 mayches would be dumb....but yes maybe 6 that wouldnt be too bad at all....but over that could be some problems

I think there should be a limit on the number of teams that participate in one tourney.  this will eliminate the possibility of reaching 5 matches.  That would also give more teams the opportunity to host quality tournaments.  Spread the competition out and let more teams benefit from hosting a tournament.  I do realize that some teams do not want to host, but I think that there would be enough that would for everyone to have a place to go. 

The number of teams is not the problem..at least in my case and the reason i started the post was because it was a simple 16 man bracket...no pig tails yes it was MS State, but still only 16 kids per weight which is not too many.  10 matches yes is a bit extreme but 6 is very do able

I very much dislike "pool" tournaments. It just don't seem right if a kid loses once in his pool that the best he can come back and wrestle for is fifth. The five match rule needs to at least be addressed.

Pool tournaments only occur during the season and not in the post season.  If the pools have been seeded then you won't have many wrestlers placing 5th who could have placed higher.  It's not much different than if you have a bad match in the championsip round.  You lose the best you can get is 3rd. 

The second thing to remember is that these are season tournaments and not the post season.  It realy does not matter what place you get in these tourneys.  If you could only choose one which would it be?

1.  Place top 4 in every tournament throughout the year and not place in the state tourney.

2.  Place 5th in every tournament throughout the year and place 5th in the state.

I'm sure they would pick number 2.

Also pool tourneys as stated gives you more matches thorughout the day wich in turn gets you more prepared for the long grueling days at the state tourney.

We don't need to limit the teams at a touney.  If this was the case several of the smaller teams would never be allowed to enter.  I'm talking about the teams with less than 7 wrestlers.  Teams such as Danville, Bourbon Co., Holmes,  Holy Cross (Lou), KCD ect. ect.

The m.s. state tournament is a 16 man bracket.  we run into the 5 match rule because this tournament is not seeded (just like h.s. state) and kids get upset in the first 2 rounds in a LOT of weight classes.  making it a 2 day tournament would fix this, but that has been voted down numerous times.  The problem with that is the added hotel expense for teams, a lot of teams from the far regions of the state would have to leave by noon or 1pm on friday to make it to a 5 or 6 pm weigh ins.  Seeding it would be almost impossible....no one has seen every kid in every weight class...plus we have some kids that wrestle up at h.s. all year, and only compete in our state duals, regionals, & state.  How do we seed those kids???  If I was seeding this tournament this past weekend, i had never even seen the kids from Inez, Wayne, Henderson, Calloway, and many other teams that had kids in the finals.  The 5 match rule can not be waived at all.  The refs will not allow that at all....that's an insurance thing and if they find out we are going beyond that, they will refuse to ref our tournaments.  I've not met a ref yet that would go for this.  We've been down this road numerous times.  I personally have had this rule go both ways for my team.  I'm ok with it...we all know how it works, going into the tournament. 

The only way I can think of allowing kids to wrestle more than 5 matches in a day would be to purchase additional insurance for the refs.  I'm not sure if this is even possible, but I believe that's how some of the national tourneys like Cincy 3-way gets away with going beyond the 5 match rule.  I don't know how the refs would feel about this, but when i've asked refs about this...they were not interested at all. 

It's great to discuss this stuff on the message boards, but the only place it will get resolved is at a coaches meeting.  The next m.s. statewide coaches meeting is 5/20/2007, at lexington lafayette h.s cafeteria.  at 2pm.

I'd like to see this changed as well. I've seen some wrestlers end up losing their first match but make it to were they could wrestle for 5th or 3erd but end up having to forfeit because of the 5 matches a day. I think 7 matches a day would be better, at least for those saturday tournnaments.