Sign in to follow this  
hotlava

Region 7 Tournament

OK, my bad.  I thought you were referring to a full bracket.  To your point,  the random draw can still leave a 1 or 2 seed without a match.  My point was not to say that seeding all the way through or random draw was better than the other.  I was just pointing out the obvious.  Someone is always gonna find a reason. 

2 minutes ago, coachteater said:

We only have 14 teams. So seeding 1- 14 will give the 1 and 2 a bye in 1st rd everytime. If 13 kids, 1,2, and 3 get byes. 

With random draw after say top 6, then 1 and 2 seeds can get matches in 1st rd and get more team points

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, REscalera said:

I must admit, this is a first.  I've heard complaining about where a kid was seeded or how come they only seed top 4 or 6 or 8. But never this one.  Perfect example of no matter what you do someone will find something to complain about.  Hey kudos to all the coaches that dedicate their time to our boys and girls and spent the extra time to seed all the way through.  If your wrestler happens to be 16 out of 16, oh well.  Don't fault the coaches.  Use it as a teachable moment.

Or I could have been asking for a clarification of why something is done the way it is, plus adding my opinion.  My original post is actually a perfect answer of why message boards exist.  Your response is a perfect example of someone jumping to conclusions instead of considering all reasons of why a person might ask a question.

• Downvote 1

25 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Or I could have been asking for a clarification of why something is done the way it is, plus adding my opinion.  My original post is actually a perfect answer of why message boards exist.  Your response is a perfect example of someone jumping to conclusions instead of considering all reasons of why a person might ask a question.

Negative ghost rider. You did not ask for clarification.  You asked for justification. Words have meaning. Don't fault me for reading your words as opposed to your mind.  Asking for justification is asking for a defense not seeking understanding.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, REscalera said:

Negative ghost rider. You did not ask for clarification.  You asked for justification. Words have meaning. Don't fault me for reading your words as opposed to your mind.  Asking for justification is asking for a defense not seeking understanding.  

I agree, while he may not have ment it to come across that way, I took it as defensive and negative towards seeding all the way out

8 hours ago, REscalera said:

I guess we can get hung up in semantics if you want.  Fact is, I didn't know why we seeded all the way out, so I asked.  Isn't the purpose of message boards to discuss things (ask questions, state opinions, etc.)?  Even though I now know the reason why it's done, I still disagree, which is fine; I don't think Coach Teater is going to get in my face about it on Saturday.  I didn't know you would be offended so easily...

No one's offended dude and I'm certain nobody will be getting in your face about this.  Thanks for your explanation on your poor choice of words. It's all good though.  Go Braves!!! 

8 hours ago, Zeus said:

I guess we can get hung up in semantics if you want.  Fact is, I didn't know why we seeded all the way out, so I asked.  Isn't the purpose of message boards to discuss things (ask questions, state opinions, etc.)?  Even though I now know the reason why it's done, I still disagree, which is fine; I don't think Coach Teater is going to get in my face about it on Saturday.  I didn't know you would be offended so easily...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Glad to hear since your original post gave me that impression.  Good luck to Union Co, although I'm not sure they'll need it.

I am glad this region went ahead and put the brackets out on track. Gives the wrestlers a chance to take a look early in the week and get their minds right. 

In my opinion, the championship is Madison Central's to lose. They're pretty solid from top to bottom with several potential champs, Decks, McManus, Baker, and Mays!

Of course Wayne county will be tough like usual and some of the Lexington schools like Tates Creek and Henry Clay always have competitive kids. 

40 minutes ago, hit-the-mat said:

I am glad this region went ahead and put the brackets out on track. Gives the wrestlers a chance to take a look early in the week and get their minds right. 

In my opinion, the championship is Madison Central's to lose. They're pretty solid from top to bottom with several potential champs, Decks, McManus, Baker, and Mays!

Of course Wayne county will be tough like usual and some of the Lexington schools like Tates Creek and Henry Clay always have competitive kids. 

I don't think it's quite theirs to lose, Wayne will be right there and it should be a battle. There is potential for multiple champs, but, decks will have tough finals matches against wayne kids, possible both could lose. Also McManus will be in a battle with Vasquez I'm guessing. I think baker wins, but mays may not even make the finals. Strunk in semis is tough, and gbison should be waiting in the finals, who's beat mays by pin and 7 this year. 

Should be a good weekend,  MadisonCental and Wayne will definitely be going for the title. Bonus points and even the 5th and 6th place matches will be needed to pull off a title

On 2/8/2017 at 9:53 AM, coachteater said:

Several do this, not just region 7. I know 1,5,7 and 8 do. In a large region like ours, often you have winning record 10 or 12 kids deep. Seeding all the way out gives these kids a chance to seeding criteria to proprely be seeded. If not you might have kids that are say 25-12 who should be a 7 seed having to go against a 3 seed in the first rd. I've always been a fan of seeding all the way out because there is a better chance the top kids come out, as they should. 

And fyi, track does do this for us. It goes by criteria we set and if head to heads are entered properly, it takes those into account as well. Only slight changes need to be made for common opponents 

I agree 100% I have always wanted to seed all the way down.  Kept getting voted out by those teams that want the bonus points. Heck we even voted if we should seed the 6th seed. 

On 2/8/2017 at 1:31 PM, REscalera said:

Hey kudos to all the coaches that dedicate their time to our boys and girls and spent the extra time to seed all the way through.  If your wrestler happens to be 16 out of 16, oh well.  Don't fault the coaches.  Use it as a teachable moment.

Kudos exactly to many coaches just want to get home and not spend the time to get the brackets correct. 

I guess I don't think it's wrong for coaches to want to get home as soon as they can, this sport is grueling, which is why many choose to not coach anymore.  By the way, I'm not one of the coaches with a bunch of top-seeded wrestlers who's team would benefit from random draws after the top six seeds.  All year long we seed just the top four/six, and in my opinion we should just follow the same system instead of changing it up.

At the DI NCAAs they seed the top 12 and that's it.  Upsets are part of what makes the sport exciting.

A wrestler making that statement is referring to practice... seemingly endless repetition of technique, conditioning, lifting, etc., all the aspects that make this sport so special in teaching kids diligence.  For a young to middle-aged coach in a seeding meeting on a Sunday, it's more like, "I just want to get home to see my wife and kids that I don't get to see until 8-9 pm or later, six nights per week."  I know more than one coach who's given it up just to be able to spend more time with his family.

I can imagine a wrestler saying this though, and it's one if the reason so many quit.  But your example involves a kid who's not affected by the length of a seeding meeting, instead of a coach who is.  Make sure you're comparing apples to apples.  Many times the meaning behind the statement is more important than the words being used, a point I made about semantics earlier in the conversation.

5 hours ago, REscalera said:

Could you imagine a wrestler looking at his coach and saying that. "Come on coach, this sport is grueling.  I just want to get home tonight to watch some TV. "