Sign in to follow this  
CUTiger184

All Region Classic

What do you guys think of an All Region Classic? Basically bringing an "All region team" (comprised of Region Champs or Region runner-ups) to one location and competing (duals) region vs. region.  This could be seeded off of rangers rankings, we could do it the weekend after the state tournament. I think it would be a unique way to compete region vs. region. 

• Upvote 4

Could be interesting. I'm sure the logistics of getting single wrestlers from that many teams would be a nightmare, finding a venue everyone agreed upon, etc. I actually really like the idea but I'm not sure who would be willing to sponsor it/take on the responsibility, blah blah. 

I think there would have to be a decent weight 'allowance' for this to happen. Kids will be tired of making weight after the big daddy of them all (state tournament) is over. It's a great idea tho. Would like to see this happen.

24 minutes ago, justaref said:

Could be interesting. I'm sure the logistics of getting single wrestlers from that many teams would be a nightmare, finding a venue everyone agreed upon, etc. I actually really like the idea but I'm not sure who would be willing to sponsor it/take on the responsibility, blah blah. 

Yea transportation would be likely on the parents or head coach. I would consider alternating the venue each year, and of course giving a 5lb allowance.

25 minutes ago, CUTiger184 said:

Yea transportation would be likely on the parents or head coach. I would consider alternating the venue each year, and of course giving a 5lb allowance.

Open it up to top 2 in my opinion. You want at least one alternate, even at that some weight classes would be unrepresented from some regions. Certain regions, like Unions, would basically be 70% their guys and a couple other top guys, meaning basically a stronger #1 team in the state.. Alternating venue would be a must for something encompassing so many different teams. As another reply said, it would be hard to get a lot of interest the week after state honestly. 

Concept is a homerun.  Practicality is a nightmare.  Most of these guys would have just wrestled the week prior at state.  Kids burned out from cutting weight.  Potential injuries.  If even a handful of kids don't commit it takes away from the idea.   

What might be cool is taking the "region champ team" and adding up all their team points from state tourney to see which region scored the most points ( "won" ) tourney format.  That's something that could just be done on here for fun without having to wrestle any additional matches.  They already tally team points per region.  But not narrowing it down to just the region champs.   I think it would be interesting to see.  

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, LCalum said:

Concept is a homerun.  Practicality is a nightmare.  Most of these guys would have just wrestled the week prior at state.  Kids burned out from cutting weight.  Potential injuries.  If even a handful of kids don't commit it takes away from the idea.   

What might be cool is taking the "region champ team" and adding up all their team points from state tourney to see which region scored the most points ( "won" ) tourney format.  That's something that could just be done on here for fun without having to wrestle any additional matches.  They already tally team points per region.  But not narrowing it down to just the region champs.   I think it would be interesting to see.  

That's another alternative, I like it as well. Would be interesting to see how each region/region champs stack up against each other. 

• Upvote 1

I love the idea but think it would be better in the preseason because I don't think kids are going to train the week after the state tournament either.

Also, I think you would have to give a 10 pound allowance if you wanted wrestlers to stay in their "weight classes" a week after the season is over, we all know most kids are going to stuff themselves.  I realize the best kids won't because they're going to compete in the off-season.

What about trying to do it at the same time as the All-Star match?  Regions with wrestlers competing in the All-Star event would use an alternate.

It would have to be a dual tournament if all eight regions showed up or else the 5-match rule would prevent everyone from wrestling each other.  Would be easy to do though with two pools of four teams each.  The #1 teams would wrestle each other #2s, #3s and #4s would wrestle the corresponding team.

• Upvote 1

We have the state tournament to find out who the best individuals are from each region. Why not have a dual tournament? Top 2 individuals from each region qualify for "all region" team and have an 8 team dual tournament? 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Zeus said:

I love the idea but think it would be better in the preseason because I don't think kids are going to train the week after the state tournament either.

Also, I think you would have to give a 10 pound allowance if you wanted wrestlers to stay in their "weight classes" a week after the season is over, we all know most kids are going to stuff themselves.  I realize the best kids won't because they're going to compete in the off-season.

What about trying to do it at the same time as the All-Star match?  Regions with wrestlers competing in the All-Star event would use an alternate.

It would have to be a dual tournament if all eight regions showed up or else the 5-match rule would prevent everyone from wrestling each other.  Would be easy to do though with two pools of four teams each.  The #1 teams would wrestle each other #2s, #3s and #4s would wrestle the corresponding team.

I like this idea a lot actually, do it preseason from the previous seasons standings.. Could even just do invites based off rankings? That would exclude the seniors from the previous season though, right? That's not a huge turn off here, but it would exclude a ton of the best wrestlers at their peaks. 

5 minutes ago, gentleben1590 said:

We have the state tournament to find out who the best individuals are from each region. Why not have a dual tournament? Top 2 individuals from each region qualify for "all region" team and have an 8 team dual tournament? 

I believe that's the goal here from the original post, just adding the top 2 instead of winner. I believe doing it preseason as Zeus said would be an awesome way to kick off the season. Does the All Star event change venues every year?

What happens if a region has no wrestler ranked in a specific weight class in the pre-season?  Would Ranger or whomever have to dig to find someone?

2 minutes ago, justaref said:

I believe that's the goal here from the original post, just adding the top 2 instead of winner. I believe doing it preseason as Zeus said would be an awesome way to kick off the season. Does the All Star event change venues every year?

The all star match has been at John Hardin the past two years I believe. 

All star is an invitational dual which has been very exciting for the preseason.  But there are some top level teams that have chose not to participate.  Again I love the idea.  But I know how hard it is just to get teams to go to sectionals.   Hard to get 100% buyin for anything other than region and state tourney.   Teams even back out of state duals

Perhaps there could be a pretty season tournament for all returning State qualifiers.  Even if there were 50% participation, you would still have a 16 man bracket.  If more, piggy back into the bracket, full tournament giving a true  preseason ranking.  More mat time for those that are serious about competing for not only State title, as well as a podium spot.