Ranger123

Kentuckywrestling.com HS Rankings 2016/2017 - JANUARY 3

When a kid weighs 210 and their certification says they can make 182, yet they don't even want to make 195, I don't think that's too much for a coach to ask a wrestler to do (make 195, for example). Cutting weight isn't fun, and probably the least liked aspect of wrestling, but it requires strict discipline and diet. It's not impossible. It's just uncomfortable. I mean, aren't weight certifications there to tell you what weight you can make while maintaining your health? I don't know what all is going on in Meade County, but this is just from my personal experience.

• Upvote 1

no matter the situation. I don't believe a coach should TELL a wrestler where he can compete and FORCE weight loss on a kid.  That gets Mama's and Papa's involved in forcing their baby to lose weight and skip meals. 

Wrestling is an individual sport with team concepts.  

In the long run is it worth losing a kid because he does not want to lose weight? 

2 minutes ago, grappler-of-old said:

no matter the situation. I don't believe a coach should TELL a wrestler where he can compete and FORCE weight loss on a kid.  That gets Mama's and Papa's involved in forcing their baby to lose weight and skip meals. 

In the long run is it worth losing a kid because he does not want to lose weight? 

I still cannot get around the Dance off and Wrestle off. Man I am really struggling with that one.

• Upvote 1

I've seen a few kids who were dancers (ie) Took dance lessons, and were extremely successful on the wrestling mat.  Coordination and Balance are huge in both. 

12 minutes ago, grappler-of-old said:

Agree with this

26 minutes ago, KYWrestler@Heart said:

What if you have 2 starting wrestlers 1 weight class apart and Wrestler (A) can wrestle at both weight classes and be successful. Wrestler (B) can only wrestle at the higher class and be successful but cannot go down to the lower class because Weight restrictions will not allow it (OPC). As an overall Team performance concept is it wise to ensure both Wrestlers are on the roster or give up a weight class resulting in no point scoring.  Now let’s assume these wrestlers both paid their dues over the years and both deserve the right to compete. What is a coach to do?  Who has the responsibility to ensure that all members of his Team are successful and not just one individual? Yes we often look at the completion at an individual level but is it not also the goal to bring home a "Team" championship for "ALL" to enjoy.

As you said, both A and B have paid their dues. Why make wrestler A cut the weight (punish him) for doing what he is supposed to day in and day out? I understand having log jams with multiple good kids on a team. It's tough. But if wrestler A beats wrestler B in a wrestle off, wrestler A is your guy for that weight. The decision now, in my opinion, falls on wrestler B to decide how bad he wants to compete. Does he become wrestler A's back up, or does he challenge for the next weight up on his team? From the outside looking in, it sounds like wrestler A got put in a bad situation that should have been and could have been avoided. 

• Upvote 1

Ok Nike point heard, but I would like to refer back to Zeus original post. Why can’t Wrester A be backup to wrestler B and not quit. Either way it really does not matter. No one wins in this case. No one can be made to do something they do not want to do. Basically no matter how hard or how long we discuss this there will be different opinions. You only have to answer to yourself for the choices you make. Simple point one less wrestler in the state and less team points over all for Meade. Does it really matter, probably not? I am not on hear to back up anyone individual or team. I just cannot stand for rumors or speculation. There are only a few people who truly knows why this individual choose not to continue to wrestle this year and they only have to answer to themselves so it really does not matter what we think happened or what really happened now does it.

Edited by KYWrestler@Heart
wording
  • Upvote 1

I was only speaking to the scenario. I don't know Meade Co's coaches or kids and in no way was I trying to take a stab at them. I have a feeling this particular scenario plays out in many rooms across the state. The best outcome is in the eyes of the beholder. As a coach, you just got to do the best job that you can and try to be as fair as possible. You can't make everyone happy all the time. Comes with the job I suppose. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, KYWrestler@Heart said:

Ok Nike point heard, but I would like to refer back to Zeus original post. Why can’t Wrester A be backup to wrestler B and not quit. Either way it really does not matter. No one wins in this case. No one can be made to do something they do not want to do. Basically no matter how hard or how long we discuss this there will be different opinions. You only have to answer to yourself for the choices you make. Simple point one less wrestler in the state and less team points over all for Meade. Does it really matter, probably not? I am not on hear to back up anyone individual or team. I just cannot stand for rumors or speculation. There are only a few people who truly knows why this individual choose not to continue to wrestle this year and they only have to answer to themselves so it really does not matter what we think happened or what really happened now does it.

My original post was only referring to wrestle-offs, nothing to do with weight cutting.

What if you have a wrestler and he weighs say 144 and has wrestled 144 yet some unseen power like the Force makes him wrestle 152 ? Or since you used 210 how about another that weighs about that minus a few lbs who certified under 182 yet that unseen force makes them wrestle 220 .

Seen it happen a severe unbalance in the force ,fortunately in these cases these young men didn't quit they overcame .

IF A KID EARNS HIS SPOT IT SHOULD BE HIS .JUST BECAUSE HE CERTS AT A WEIGHT DOESN'T MEAN HE SHOULD COULD OR CAN EVEN WRESTLE THERE .WITH ALL THE BAD PRESS IN THE SPORT ABOUT KIDS CUTTING AND BEING UNHEALTHY I SURPRISED A COACH WOULD TRY TO FORCE A KID TO CUT.

SEEN COACHES TRY TO TALK KIDS INTO BALLET NEVER SAW ONE FALL FOR IT.

I never said anything about starvation, skipping meals, dehydrating,  wearing plastics, or running until you pass out. If you have a proper diet, eat clean, and workout smart, you can lose the weight without adversely affecting your health. Parents need to be involved and coaches do as well, but if someone loses a wrestle-off and still want to wrestle, there are only a couple of solutions. There's a kid who I thought would be at least 132 this year and now he's at 120, healthy, hydrated, and energetic (and wrestling great, btw). Education on diet is imperative. A lot of people have given "weight cutting" a bad name because they did so in ignorant ways. So, I'll say the same advice my dad gave me when I was young, "don't be an idiot". ;-)

All to confusing to speculate on ,from what I was getting it sounded like a kid had his spot at 160 or whatever but COACH wanted him lower and he did not want to cut so he was benched so he quit  ,a bad deal if you ask me ?but I don't know none of my business  and I don't want to guess .

• Upvote 1

It's a "Dance Off" Peter Quill aka Star Lord ,Guardians of the Galaxy .

It's a Distraction !!

ALL THESE SPACE SHOW SIMILES 

Very exciting times indeed.

Big battles tomorrow could be some changes in team and individual rankings .

On January 3, 2017 at 4:03 PM, ukpridewrestler11 said:

Trinity is down this year. Not used to seeing them ranked that low.

They are down but, I'm sure they will bounce back. Rumor has it there is an Olympian in their room working with the kids.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Usawresstling said:

Volbrecht of ryle has 2 victories over dixies bowers not saying he should be rankedsuper high but just something to take a look at

Kind of strange that both victories were a default of some kind.  Track says at NKAC INJ time default the dual just lists default. 

Bowers only has 4 losses according to Track.  

On 1/11/2017 at 8:31 AM, Wrestlingfan27 said:

Roy "regressed" bowers still seems to be slow off the whistle. Maybe that's why he's not number one.

lol public bashing of highschool kids... Super classy