Sign in to follow this  
FalconWrestling

Region 1 Rankings 12/31

I'll just slip these in before the new year. As expected we have some big weight changes, some help teams/wrestlers and some have hurt teams/wrestlers. As time goes on wrestlers will find the weight class that is the best fit for them. I remember Coach Walls at Calloway always had an uncanny ability to pinpoint the exact weight he needed his guys at. Christian County with a victory at CCI seems to cement itself as the #2 team in the region but a lot of the match ups I was hoping to see ended up not happening. I also still have empty weight classes, which at this point in the year shouldn't be happening. But discussing numbers issues in our sport is a conversation for somewhere else.

1. Zeke Escelera, Union County (1)
2. Daniel Knight, Christian County (UR)
3. Keaton Elliot, Calloway County (3)
4. Dylan Walls, Caldwell County (4)
5. Nathanial Jenkins, McCracken County (5)
6. JaRon Nicholas, Hoptown (UR)

With the christmas two pounds we have state finalist threat Daniel Knight back at his weight class. Also dropping with the two pounds is Nicholas of Hoptown with a convincing win over Clark from Ohio County, we will see if he can break into a really solid top 4. CCI didn't have as many of the matchups I was hoping it would here so that is all for now

1. Austin Grant-Hall, Christian County (1)
2. Gabe Adams, Union County (2)
3. Ethan Furtrell, Trigg County (3)
4. Eli Peyton, McCracken County (4)
5. Jack Probus, Ohio County (6@120)
6. Colin Walls, Caldwell County (5)

Probus cuts down from 120 and puts himself right into a position to challenge for third place in the region. Should be a good battle between 3-6.

1. Sam Bacon, Union County (1)
2. Devonta Turner, Trigg County (3)
3. Jakerion Merritt, Christian County (2)
4. Ray Hamilton, Paducah Tilghman (4)
5. Ethan Wells, UHA (5)
6. Shane Grey, Ohio County (4@126)

Turner turns in a fantastic performance at CCI with a title and win over Merritt bringing him into the second place spot behind Bacon. The battle between 2-5 should be very exciting to watch. Wells appears to be the odd man out right now but is a very tough wrestler, I would not count him out. I will be interested to see how Grey does down at 120, potentially making the 2-5 battle a 2-6 one.

1. Dylan Martin, McCracken County (1)
2. Payne Carr, Union County (2)
3. Nick Dickerson, Calloway County (3)
4. Isaac Aguier, Trigg County (5)

So I'm a little frustrated. On the one hand Martin, Carr, and Dickerson are as tough as they come and that's not even counting Aguier. But the fact that I can only find four teams honestly fielding a 126 is ridiculous. I hope it's just an injury bug or weight issue and gets resolved soon.

1. Saul Ervin, Union County (1)
2. Cameron Dearmond, Hoptown (2)
3. Ishmael Griffie, Christian County (3)
4. David Conner, McCracken County (5)
5. Jordan Snyder, Trigg County (4)
6. Damien Crisp, Fort Campbell (6)

The second-third place battle should be interesting as Conner from McCracken had a coming out party at CCI putting his name in the contenders list. 

1. Bryce Sheffer, Union County (1)
2. Louie Regaldo, Fort Campbell (2)
3. Kestin McClain, McCracken County (5@145)
4. Kaleb O'Campo, Caldwell County (4)
5. Joe Fernandez, Christian County (5)
6. Ikeem Lawson, Trigg County (UR)

The top 3 at this weight has gotten interesting with McClain and Regaldo making the drop. They have a long way to go if they want to actually unseat Sheffer but both McClain and Regaldo can make top 4 runs at state. O'Campo is the best of the rest but there are some tough matchups at play here.

1. Chance Oxford, Union County (1)
2. Zlatko Skuljan, Hoptown (UR)
3. Cameron Coleman, Christian County (2)
4. Rey Vela, Fort Campbell (3)
5. Justin Crabtree, Trigg County (4)
6. Klemmer Nicodemuc, Ohio County (3@152)

As soon as last rankings were posted a couple people privately asked me about Skuljan and I explained he was the last guy out of one of the toughest weights in the region. Well apparently Skuljan took that as a challenge and tore through the CCI bracket picking up wins over Vela and Coleman. I give Coleman the nod over Vela based off of their mutual results against Dwayne Johnson, Coleman with a win while Vela had a loss. By any means those three are literally neck to neck, I'd imagine one points matches will be the difference in their battles. Oxford is number one for now but bets are off come regional. 

1. Micah Ervin, Union County (1)
2. Colin Stevens, Trigg County (2)
3. Jack Hanes, Calloway County (2@160)
4. Seth Slayton, Caldwell County (4)
5. Bailey Conley, Fort Campbell (5)
6. Jordan Hopson, Hoptown (UR)

Hanes drops down to 152 to offer a challenge to Stevens and Ervin but Stevens gets the first match up win. Stevens v Hanes is a match up to watch especially in regards to the team race.

1. Dylan Gray, Caldwell County (1)
2. Corbin Ryder, Fort Campbell (3)
3. Antonio Abren, Christian County (4)
4. Landon Moore, Union County (5)
5. Trevor Tilley, McCracken County (6)
6. Malik Cunningham, Trigg County (UR)

Gray and Ryder remain at the top with a four-way battle for third involves the likes of Abren and Tilley with a few more contenders waiting in the wings. 

1. Diion Leavell, Christian County (1)
2. Matthias Ervin, Union County (2)
3. Logan Deasal, McCracken County (5@182)
4. Ethan Tomerlin, Fort Campbell (3)
5. Kolby Morris, Hoptown (4)
6. John Predes, Caldwell County (5)

In a big weight drop Deasal puts him self into a potential region finals match. There is a lot of young talent at play in 2-4 which will be very fun to watch in the next couple years. Otherwise this looks like Leavell's year to really reach his potential.

1. Avery Buckman, Union County (1)
2. Katayvon Anthony, Hoptown (3)
3. Niko Bussell, Christian County (2)
4. Colton Stoner, Trigg County (4)
5. Jesus Avila, Fort Campbell (UR)
6. Tyler Barnard, Calloway County (UR)

Anthony picks up a win over Bussell as the top three here remain solid.

1. David Woods, Calloway County (3)
2. Raequan Lester, Paducah Tilghman (4)
3. Nautica Bonds, McCracken County (5)
4. Nick Owens, Hoptown (6)
5. Raven Knight, Christian County (UR)
6. Dylan Lynn, Ohio County (UR)

With me moving Hicks up to 220 where has been wrestling and Major out of the rankings entirely, Woods shoots up to #1. The whole weight has some interesting match ups someone who intrigues me a lot is Raven Knight who has been wrestling some tough kids really well. What was the Owens/Knight match like leading up to the result?

1. Colby Culver, Calloway County (2)
2. Ross Hicks, Union County (1@195)
3. Jackson Fitzgerald, Paducah Tilghman (UR)
4. Deion Lane, Hoptown (3)
5. Markus Green, Christian County (UR)
6. Jordan Ware, McCracken County (6)

I'm unfortunately removing Orr from the rankings, it's one of those things I see all the time but I'm never happy doing. With that said Culver is now shooting for a state title at a wide open weight class. Hicks continues to be at 220 so I put him at his weight class and he immediately threatens Culver. Fitzgerald is also a threat that can't be ignored.

1. David Nikolao, Fort Campbell (1)
2. Payton Snyder, Union County (2)
3. Gavynn Davis, McCracken County (3)
4. Seth Riley, Christian County (5)
5. Jay Emerson, Calloway County (6)

The king is back so to speak. Happy to see Nikolao return to the mat and in dominating fashion winning the CCI. Snyder leads a small pack of heavyweights who seek to dethrone the dominant force that Nikolao has been at heavyweight. Some weight drops to 220 have left heavyweight bare of a placing spot.

Team Rankings

1. Union County (51)

2. Christian County (25.5)

3. Calloway County (17)

4. McCracken County (16.5)

5. Fort Campbell (14.5)

6. Hoptown (12.5)

7. Trigg County (12)

8. Caldwell County (9)

9. Paducah Tilghman (6)

10. Ohio County (2)

11. UHA (0.5)

12. Mayfield (0)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Ross Hicks will be making the drop to 195 (197) at Monday's regional duals. Weighed in at 198.5 at Mater Dei. Payne Carr and Sam Bacon were very impressive at the Mater Dei invite. Carr beating the youngest Lee brother for 3rd. The oldest Lee brother just enrolled at Penn State (Nick Lee). Escalera is on a mission. Don't see anyone stopping him. Oxford looks the to be at the best he's ever been. To be honest I am the most shocked by Matthias Ervin at 170. Kid has improved 200% since last season. Micah should place high at state. Gabe Adams isn't on the level of Grant-Hall but I believe he will place at state as well. 

I worked out with Avery a little yesterday, lol. He was in his sweats getting ready to be at 182 this weekend. 

22 minutes ago, DrBaker said:

I worked out with Avery a little yesterday, lol. He was in his sweats getting ready to be at 182 this weekend. 

State isn't this weekend 

Nope. It's a possibility. Hicks is down to 195. They both have said they'd rather wrestle the smaller guys, but who doesn't. We will see. 

2 minutes ago, DrBaker said:

Nope. It's a possibility. Hicks is down to 195. They both have said they'd rather wrestle the smaller guys, but who doesn't. We will see. 

Sorry man not trying to sound like an ass but I heard he talked to coach about it at practice you might very well be right but, if it was me my senior year I would try to find the easiest way to the top of the podium and we all know for him it would be 95.He's looking for a title 

Sprawl, I don't agree with your statement to run where the competition is easier. Why would you want to be known for running from competition just to win your title? Our coach told us what weight would give us the best opportunity to win a title, didn't matter who was there. It was about our wrestling ability and how we worked in the room. If there was a tough guy there then so be it, but we weren't going to run away chasing a title because we all knew anything could happen. I'm pretty sure there was another Buckman a couple years ago with the old school mentality that won a title when a lot had counted him out too.

• Upvote 3

Thomas was more than counted out, he looked forever to even get a doctor to release him after tearing his acl earlier in the season. I talked to Avery at the Mater Dei classic and he seemed like he really wanted another shot at Andreoni to me. Just my two cents. 

• Upvote 1

I think I came in and was able to work out with Thomas during Christmas break to get him in a little shape. Was excited to just see him wrestle and what he did made it even more special. I like the kids who are willing to take on the favorite. That's a great attitude not only for wrestling but life as well.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, 119Rider said:

Sprawl, I don't agree with your statement to run where the competition is easier. Why would you want to be known for running from competition just to win your title? Our coach told us what weight would give us the best opportunity to win a title, didn't matter who was there. It was about our wrestling ability and how we worked in the room. If there was a tough guy there then so be it, but we weren't going to run away chasing a title because we all knew anything could happen. I'm pretty sure there was another Buckman a couple years ago with the old school mentality that won a title when a lot had counted him out too.

119Rider, that mentality could be why I never got the gold lol.  Did make college transition a lot easier tho.

• Upvote 1

You didn't get the gold because you had bigger and better plans ahead of you. It kept you driven for the next few years to where you were able to accomplish All American status where others were not able to even though they had won the state championships. Teeth

If Avery decides to stay at 182 or move up to 195 will have nothing to do with "running" from competition. He's one of the hardest working, hard nosed kids you'll meet who is not going to back down from a challenge.

• Upvote 1

I wish that I was able to make it down to Father Ryan for the Johnny Drennan Classic. There will be some great matches on day 2 but I know day one will provide some excitement as well. I am sure our Region 1 guys will go and show the TN folks what KY wrestling is all about. Best of luck to all our teams!

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, opinional_start said:

I wish that I was able to make it down to Father Ryan for the Johnny Drennan Classic. There will be some great matches on day 2 but I know day one will provide some excitement as well. I am sure our Region 1 guys will go and show the TN folks what KY wrestling is all about. Best of luck to all our teams!

Opinional_start- Day 1 has been cancelled. Looks like there maybe quite a few changes with teams having to backout due to weather. 

That sucks for a few UC kids that could pick up a couple of wins in the wrestlebacks. I wondered how they could do that tourney in one day with match limits. 

Wow, just looked at the brackets and they dropped several teams. There will still be some good matches. 106, 138 should be good finals. 113 could be Adams but not sure Hall can come out to meet him in the finals. Bacon and Carr for Union could make 120 and 126 interesting. Would like to see Micah pull a win over King at 152. 160 semifinals should be good with Gray and Ryder going at it again. That was the best match at the CCI last weekend I thought. I think Leavell and Ervin meet in the finals at 170. Avery takes 182 most likely. I think Tennessee side takes 195-285. Kentucky over all should run the table with Union most likely pulling out the overall win. I am still not going to make it down for the tournament tomorrow. Hope someone shoots out some updates as the day goes by. It does stink knowing the five match rule will hit some guys. 

• Upvote 1