Sign in to follow this  
coachteater

Oldest tournaments in KY

While doing so research and trying to find out what year my tournament was started, I started to wonder what the oldest run tournament in the state was. 

Tates Creek Invitational started around 1986 I believe.  Seems like every one is too old to remember the exact year, it was started by William Green. 

I know Capital city is an old tournament and I assume jefferson co is old as well. Any idea the years on those or an at her old tournaments?

I know the WCI has been around for a long time. Probably started in the 70's I would assume. I would think the Conner Invitational is an old tournament as well. I'm sure Badita got it started. 

1 minute ago, Nike Man said:

I know the WCI has been around for a long time. Probably started in the 70's I would assume. I would think the Conner Invitational is an old tournament as well. I'm sure Badita got it started. 

I was about to edit my post and ask about wci. Yeah, conner is another old one. Alot of wrestling history at those tournaments 

I was just talking about this with my son, I remember very few team tournaments back then. I like the idea of each team getting 5 matches as I remember many kids sitting around all day after going 2 and out.

While I like kids getting as many matches as possible in dual meets, the thrill of a tournament is exciting.  Pool tournaments that place all the way to eight is a great hybrid to get kids as many matches as possible.  With 16 full teams each wrestler gets at least three matches, even if they don't win one.  It also prevents the five-match rule from costing a kid 3rd place if he wrestled back after a first-round loss.  Don't want to hijack the thread but it's something for coaches who are running a tournament to think about.

Armstrong has been around for a while.  I'm sure longer then 89, but couldn't locate any earlier results.  Also missing a few scores from Champion teams in certain years.

Year

Team Champions

Score

Type of Tournament

Ft. Campbell

Individual

Central IN.

Individual

Caldwell

Individual

Central IN.

Individual