halfhalfhalf

girls wrestling

I get it this site or page is a All Kentucky national team but is there any high schools out there that is considering having all girls teams I know in Tn they have a separate girls and boys wrestling even State Champions. I believe if we really want to grow our sport we should look at this with all the recent success of not only girls MMA but Olympic Champion and with most of the local colleges picking it up as well.  

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, panthers said:

I get it this site or page is a All Kentucky national team but is there any high schools out there that is considering having all girls teams I know in Tn they have a separate girls and boys wrestling even State Champions. I believe if we really want to grow our sport we should look at this with all the recent success of not only girls MMA but Olympic Champion and with most of the local colleges picking it up as well.  

I have toyed with it. We have 3 ms girls and 1 hs. I'd like to take a try at an all girls team, but at the time I'm still building our youth- hs.  If I could find a coach to be dedicated to just the females, I'd love to. I think it would take a good amount of fundraining as well, to help with travel to find competition.  Hopefully in the near future it something I can get going at tc

• Upvote 1

I am considering if I can get school to approve of it to try as well we have lots of girls talk to me about it but don't want to wrestle boys I know in Tn there is all girls tourneys might only be 4 or 5 a season but if I can make it work around my HS and youth then I am willing to try as well.

• Upvote 1

My daughter has wrestled for Anderson middle for the last three years. We would love to see this happen. I have heard other coaches toy with the idea also. Going to youth tournaments you can see the female ranks growing. I think as they progress to middle school the idea of wrestling boys can influence the decision to continue. Another issue is if the females are good and win against the boys it creates some hostility in some circles. My daughter had been blessed with supportive coaches and teammates and has been complimented many times by others. Female wrestling division would be a very good thing to grow this sport among our youth.

• Upvote 1

I think that is key YOUTH. Start doing girls only brackets and by the time they get to middle school , if enough stick with it You can maybe start a girls division. My daughter started this year 7th grade and we have 4 others in the area with 3 being solid wrestlers .More girls would wrestle if it was against other girls.

We have 4 middle school girls and a youth (4 6th 1 3rd). That is out 19 total youth and middle. We held an open [ractice last spring and had girls from Harrison and Bullitt East attend. We would like to do more of these, in the future. Possibilly bring in college wrestlers and coaches. We are Western Hills in Frankfort. We are a good central location. Our current limitation is mat space. We only have one mat.  

women wrestle freestyle in college.  it would benefit them to learn that style if they want to continue wrestling after high school.

• Upvote 1

This is a great idea and I have been spreading the word with my wrestlers about getting more girls involved and the possibility of building a girls team. I think it is going to take just one school to really put the effort into building a girls team and it will take off. So who is going to be the first?

What about the possibility of getting some coaches on board with giving it a trial run in the spring? I'm thinking March -may and try to get a couple tournaments together. Get some exposure and see how the numbers look.

My feeling is that there is lack of coaches as a whole already.  If we could get it started in fall or spring, I think you would have better luck. Coaches have so much going on during season now, and lack asst to help.

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 2:40 PM, coachteater said:

What about the possibility of getting some coaches on board with giving it a trial run in the spring? I'm thinking March -may and try to get a couple tournaments together. Get some exposure and see how the numbers look.

My feeling is that there is lack of coaches as a whole already.  If we could get it started in fall or spring, I think you would have better luck. Coaches have so much going on during season now, and lack asst to help.

Well you can count me in!

Coach Aubrey Hayes

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

My daughter has wrestled youth for 3 or 4 years and had never wrestled a girl... Im not sure how you grow the girls division? I think that by forums like this and Facebook supporting girls in the sport and winning. Maybe if we had some more girl coaches would help? Any ideas on how to grow the girls wrestling?

Not sure what the rules are for weigh ins but some schools are trying to accommodate both at the same time. My daughter misses most of the team warm up because they usually have to wait. As more females come into the sport this will become a bigger issue. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Nolans Dad said:

Also at middle school I noticed that sometimes the girls have to weigh in last? I think they should go first? Lady's first right?

At woodford ms tournament this yr, the ladies went first. 

• Upvote 1

With girls weigh in when all girls get there from every team I find a Mom to weigh them in all at one time. So it will be very helpful to the officials to let tourn. director know if you have girls as soon as possible to speed up process.

• Upvote 1

On 12/14/2016 at 1:40 PM, coachteater said:

Anyone on board to give it a try? I am willing to come to help. 

We certainly have enough girls to put together a decent Fargo team.  That would bring them together as a "community" and give them also some exposure for college.  I know the two women's college coaches would be able to help with that this summer.  

On 1/11/2017 at 11:18 AM, Stephens said:

We certainly have enough girls to put together a decent Fargo team.  That would bring them together as a "community" and give them also some exposure for college.  I know the two women's college coaches would be able to help with that this summer.  

Maybe put together an all girls camp? A Fargo team for sure. I know the Bullit East coach was talking about getting all the girls together. There is a Facebook page he made that they can get on and see updates. I'll see if I can get the link. 

I've liked this page when it was posted earlier in this discussion. We would definitely like updates. My daughter would like to be considered for the opportunity to be in an all female team.