Sign in to follow this  

What would you give to have these state finals?

WKY i was aware of Nick's injuries.  Sucks hes been struggling the last few years.  Hope it doesn't carry into his college career.  They don't come any better than the Lee's.  Great family.

Been told by a few in town that the layout in the Civic Center has changed and would  not facilitate us anymore. I have never been to Civic Center, so I couldn't tell you if we could still use it or what it use to be.

Regardless the sport needs sponsors like Ky Farm Bureau and such to help us grow.  

1 hour ago, WristControl said:

yes nature boy doesn't know what he's talking about he's never been to the Civic Center and has no idea what the layout, the finals setup and the intensity of that arena was like. but that's not gonna stop him from telling everyone how wrong they are.

Let's get something straight ,I never said anything about any  civic center ,I have only spoken about not having it in a High School gym and I'm always the first to say what I know about or do not know about as far as having a tournament like Indys or the finals in the video you need 2 top kids a ton of fans a nice light set up and a build up to that finals match .NONE OF WICH YOU HAVE IN KY NOR COULD YOU HAVE HAD THIS YEAR SO THE VIDEO AND POST ARE POINTLESS.

Unlike you "and this is a fact "who has no where near the experience I do in promotions or putting on or being in large scale events !! I do not post what people know or do not know unless I'm FAIRLY sure of their knowledge ,My kids have wrestled in that arena in the video and In a lot of gyms arena across the nation , I have worked at and been in arenas in events and shows of all sorts and it doesn't take a genius to know there are not any high school gums IN the state worthy of a state championship .And obviously no one smart enough to solve the problem of putting on a decent tournament in an actually decent Arena that you already have minus the dirt or dust .A bunch of idiots cannot have decent medals decent lighting or even put on a normal finals procedure that 100s of tournaments have each year across the country .The problem isn't the arena it's a bunch of Dumb$@B running it and it gets old reading about some other dumb $@bs cackle about it or the good old days every year .

• Upvote 1

for history's sake,  Atherton is a high school in Louisville, where state was held every year in the 70's.even though Atherton had no wrestling team at all! The Civic Center in Frankfort ( also called the Dungeon) is a larger venue with a lot more atmosphere than the high school. I do not know what year they switched from Atherton to Frankfort, but Frankfort became too small when they went to the 32 man brackets from the 16.

3 minutes ago, depperschmidt said:

for history's sake,  Atherton is a high school in Louisville, where state was held every year in the 70's.even though Atherton had no wrestling team at all! The Civic Center in Frankfort ( also called the Dungeon) is a larger venue with a lot more atmosphere than the high school. I do not know what year they switched from Atherton to Frankfort, but Frankfort became too small when they went to the 32 man brackets from the 16.

94-95 season was the last at Atherton

Oddly enough it was a weird yr that they changed weight classes and only used them 1 yr

With Union Winning it at Altech this year only Campbell and Union has won it at Atherton, Civic Center and Alltech. 

Only other team to win at 3 sites would be North Hardin.  Westport 1968, Trinity 1969, and Atherton 1978,1981

To put it into some perspective..Not that it matters, because it's not happening. 

Only picture I could find from "The Dungeon" that shows a wrestling setup. Only space for four mats. 

I think we might still be there wrestling now from last week if we only had four mats. 

085_Wrestling_5x7.jpg

• Upvote 3

That's certainly better than most if not any High School gym But not as big as all tech or the Arena or most states have their championships in .Four mats would stink but in that arena 1 mat put in the center for finals would be cool .

There was always a packed house at the Civic Center(Dungeon).  It was full of life and it didn't matter it you had nationally ranked kids wrestling or not.  Everyone picked some one and cheered for them.  I have to say one of the most exciting matches wrestled there was when Travis Sullivan lost  the finals his senior year. That place went wild. Nature Boy only has Alltech to compare state tournaments with.  There has to be some way to make finals as special as they use to be.  I don't think they have a spotlight to use at Alltech at all.  Maybe someone can remember from the first year at the Horse Park if they tired to use one or not.  

2 hours ago, grappler-of-old said:

With Union Winning it at Altech this year only Campbell and Union has won it at Atherton, Civic Center and Alltech. 

Only other team to win at 3 sites would be North Hardin.  Westport 1968, Trinity 1969, and Atherton 1978,1981

Fern Creek won 3 titles. 1975, 1984 and 2015

Never mind.  it would help if I actually read your comment.

Edited by ccbcdeke
eating crow

1 hour ago, Irish Wrestler said:

There was always a packed house at the Civic Center(Dungeon).  It was full of life and it didn't matter it you had nationally ranked kids wrestling or not.  Everyone picked some one and cheered for them.  I have to say one of the most exciting matches wrestled there was when Travis Sullivan lost  the finals his senior year. That place went wild. Nature Boy only has Alltech to compare state tournaments with.  There has to be some way to make finals as special as they use to be.  I don't think they have a spotlight to use at Alltech at all.  Maybe someone can remember from the first year at the Horse Park if they tired to use one or not.  

"NATURE BOY ONLY HAS ALLTECH   TO COMPARE STATE TOURNAMENTS WITH"

Kind of funny considering the whole thread is based on an Indiana finals match in comparison to Kentucky and my son's won youth and Jr high state titles in 3 organizations in Ohio youth titles in ky and my oldest came in 3rd as a fresh at the SCHOTT in Ohio in a class tougher than any ever in indy or ky and then Won in the SCHOTT as soph going undefeated all year .

I been to a few tournaments in my day lol.

IF THE NATURE BOY WAS IN CHARGE THIS IS WHERE THE TOURNAMENT WOULD BE .

NO DOUBT ABOUT IT ONE WAY OR THE OTHER ,THE LOCATION THE HISTORY AND THE NAME ,I WOULD BRING IN SPECIAL REFS FOR FINALS TO WORK WITH KYS OWN REFS .like THE STEINER BROS ,lights smoke music fireworks ,No tournament in the country at any level would touch it .Real medals Real brackets ,As for parking and tickets no one could complain because you get what you pay for .

Screenshot_2016-02-26-16-13-40.png

Screenshot_2016-02-26-16-12-49.png

• Upvote 1

Every Team would be able to step it up like Woodford as far as pep and the tournament would become the talk of the state sport wise ?participation would double in short time and The Nature Boy would bring in Guests from the sporting world with ties to Wrestling to speak with fans and wrestlets and commentate along with former ky coaches ,sponsors would pour in .

This is fun ,But I'm serious as a heart attack .I could put on the best tournament in the country at AllTech with a little support .Few people ever think outside the box and when so limited you often settle for less and less.

I sent a kid on a tour of the country last yr few and none last yr anywhere came close to doing as far as wrestling goes because he and I were not afraid to try .

Most of the problems with the tournament is people are scared and too lazy to try and change anything .

I liked the tournament it wasn't so bad till the party poopers came and it went backwards this year a few steps .I would be sure some people got canned for not filming the tournament that's simply insane .

• Upvote 1

Woodford County is only about 20 miles from the Horse Park.  Those kids could come over Friday right after school, sleep in their own beds and get up at  a  normal time  on Saturday.  They did not start their travels already  an hour behind like the Western part of the State. Also not all towns have nice 4 lane or more roads, and  many parents do not want their inexperienced kids driving that far. Considering to make it by first match on Saturday  some  kids would have had to have left at 430 a.m. c.s.t.   And I know that there are parents that did not want their kids traveling home after finals were over.  Maybe one of the reasons Rupp has been out is that yes UK Men's Basketball is priority.  Yet maybe if Our State Finals could rotate between other big (DIRTLESS) arenas, say Louisville Convention Center, WKU Arena.    That way maybe more kids and schools could come when the travel distance is more manageable.   Just an idea.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Seriously I give a school props for pep and someone tries to down their efforts ,that's sad , 

Did you not notice the BLONDE on most of Em it's more than being close to the horse park !A lot of schools are close Newsflash it's state , people should plan on it from the first whistle I was told about Woodfords rowdy fans way before I ever saw them at State .Union has a great support fan base as well but if I'm in a trench I would like Woodfords style of cheering me on , a lot of schools have good fans but not the same rowdiness.

here is how the powers that be do the basketball finals at Rupp. If they can do this for basketball, why can't they figure out how to make wrestling a memorable experience.